Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultrasonics have limited detection area also. If you park close enough to the concrete curb, USS won't help. Same with an object placed in the region between the front and rear wheels or the wheels and some distance from the bumper.
For parking, easiest approach is to exit in the opposite direction you entered.
Another technique is to limit torque output until the car has moved through the un-sensed zone. Can also shift backwards using rear camera to view frontal area.
AGIAN, here is an example from yesterday. I pull up to 12" warning and then move another inch or 2 to keep people from squeezing between my bumper and the bollard. This can ONLY be done with ultrasonics and NO WAY vision could tell me this.

IMG_1784 (2).jpeg

AGIAN, here is an example from yesterday. I pull up to 12" warning and then move another inch or 2 to keep people from squeezing between my bumper and the bollard. This can ONLY be done with ultrasonics and NO WAY vision could tell me this.

View attachment 860252
Why couldn't vision do it?
If it sees the bollard and ground and determines its position when X inches away, why wouldn't it be able to move another X-10 inches forward?

Reactions: enemji
I have a model Y arriving in 2 months time. I expect it to now not have the parking sensors, or the autopark functionality on the day I get it. I know Tesla 'hate paying for it'...so where is the reduction in my car's asking price? Oh right...there isn't one. Tesla removing functionality from a pre-ordered car, without altering the price.

This is customer relations failure. No point in any of us pretending this is 4D chess, its apple-level arrogance.
If the car I ordered does not have the functionality I was promised at order time, you bet I'll put in daily complaints to support until they fix it.

This is a total own goal.
If they handle it the same way they handled the deletion of radar it will go like this. When you go into the app to accept delivery of your car there will be a pop up explaining the the change. You will get the option to accept the change or cancel the order.

there's no way to reuse and land effing rockets back on terra firma, either...but...

never and no way are not Tesla terms.

Yeah i know it's Space X doing the impossible. so what.

FWIW- nobody ever said that was impossible. There's stuff on doing it that's decades old.

What people said was it couldn't be done economically.

Elons strength isn't in doing things literally not possible.

It's in designing solutions to really hard things in a way that makes them cheap and easy to mass produce.

Nah, it’s nothing like that. With Apple, the alternatives they forced you into were already available. They didn’t remove functionality with the promise of it coming back Some Day (tm).

Except Apple does it when the alternative technology is mature enough to replace what they removed.

Imagine if they removed the headphone jack before Bluetooth headphones were a thing? Removed the CD drive before flash drives, downloadable software and portable digital music players?

Accept that many people felt that Bluetooth headsets did not have the same fidelity as cabled headphones, and there was quite a backlash. There were petitions to demand the return of the jack, but Apple stood fast. Eventually the market changed and people accepted the new way of doing things. New Bluetooth standards increased fidelity, and new wireless headphones started giving us better sound quality.

I'm skeptical however it'll be as accurate as the sensors in terms of detecting down to inches
I would think the occupancy network could be even more accurate than ultrasonic sensors as it would try to figure out the 3D position of stuff instead of whether there's something within the range of sensors. Unclear how precise Tesla will allow smart park get, but theoretically it could decide to pull over short parking stops like at superchargers while stopping before taller curbs. Maybe Tesla will allow summon for even smaller space margins than currently.

Here's Optimus Occupancy Network shown at AI Day that could be used for Autopilot pulling into garages, etc. Although unclear if the bottom visualization has limitations on what it can show to avoid visual artifacts from showing the visualized robot placeholder. Notice the closest rolling shelf utility cart has the bottom left corner disappearing:
optimus occupancy.jpg

This just really ticks me off. I don’t want to lose functionality I already have in my car. And I think it is a really bad idea to gimp features in the new cars they are selling. You are making both new and old owners angry and generating ill will. This cannot be good long term for the company.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Why couldn't vision do it?
If it sees the bollard and ground and determines its position when X inches away, why wouldn't it be able to move another X-10 inches forward?

The bollard is seen but the ground is nowhere in view.

Sonar is just like a very simple ruler tape measure. You roll your ruler out and you get the distance. It emits ultrasound and it bounces back to instantly translate to distance.

It's more difficult with cameras. As you said, it can use the cues like a bollard and the ground. It has to translate pixels into meaningful objects (labeling). It's not a simple ruler. It's a very complicated computation of the pixels to get what you want: In this case, distance.

You lost me there buddy. Help?

I had made the point that Tesla was going vision-only, with exception of ultrasonic to augment the blind spots, in order to work in the driving environment designed for humans that primarily use vision. In a similar vein, Optimus is designed to work in an environment designed around the human abilities/sensors.

Now they are scrapping those.,,,

This just really ticks me off. I don’t want to lose functionality I already have in my car.

But they say they are not planning to take away functionality:

Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet.