Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For one, what tells you the first 8 camera all connect directly to the PX-2 unit? And do they produce the same video image that the rear camera does? What tells you that? Where are each or any of those first 8 images displayed.

Next, do you have a method to splice the completely separate cable from the front cam into the RVcam signal. And some kind of software hack?

I don't see it. I don't see what you are trying to accomplish with all this splcing and hacking. What is it?

The point is to switch the camera view on the CID to either be a camera placed in the front of the vehicle or for some people a camera placed on the back of a trailer. You can see an example of what had been created here: Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit, Camera and Cables - SOLD

For one, what tells you the first 8 camera all connect directly to the PX-2 unit?
Teslas wiring diagrams.

And do they produce the same video image that the rear camera does?
No. Only the RV cam is displayed, the rest feeds only to the AP2.0 ECU.

What tells you that?
Teslas wiring diagrams.

Where are each or any of those first 8 images displayed.
Only the RV cam is displayed, the rest feeds only to the AP2.0 ECU.

Next, do you have a method to splice the completely separate cable from the front cam into the RVcam signal.
No.

And some kind of software hack?
No.

I don't see it. I don't see what you are trying to accomplish with all this splcing and hacking. What is it?
Just contributing to the discussion with inputs that hopefully will be discussed further

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
@lunitiks: Do you have the wiring diagram for the rear-view camera?

I believe @artsci has a switch that toggles between front/rear cam based on Homelink signal but it's sold out.

Someone had an adapter for the front license plate holder, which I can no longer find.

Can't be much harder to get gear selection and vehicle speed from the CAN bus or ODB-II, for example switching to front camera if moving at < 6mph. I'd even consider a manual toggle.

Maybe the pictures on this forum is not doing justice to the camera but the images from the new higher resolution doesn't look that much, if any at all, better than what I currently have. And I have the old camera module. I am comparing if I can read the text in the camera's image and comparing how clearly the navigation text shows up. I'll see if I can get an image and upload it to compare with the OP.

It is absolutely higher resolution. You can see the small gravel in the blacktop compared to the old camera which does not show that fine detail. I did a side by side comparison with another Tesla and no doubt about it, much better picture from the new camera. Simple plug and play, don't get no better than that!!!

I can't let another artsci thread go by without saying it. I am a big fan of artsci's work. He's accomplished some amazing things. I don't mean to minimize the efforts of Hanklloydright, WattsUp and WhiteP85 to name a couple of owners that have teamed with him to do amazing things. Artsci ideas for mods on the Tesla are amazing. I have the front cam kit on my '13 and the Lighted Rear Applique. I've imposed on his skills more than once for help on something that I am stuck on. He's always helpful and CORRECT with his solution.

Many of the mods he comes up with are either something Tesla says can't be done, or an idea that "hey this would be neat or cool if". Its like a challenge to him. He could just do some of these things for himself, but he doesn't. When he learns something the hard way or the expensive way, he shares it with us to save us that same learning curve. And here he is again helping us. I see in this thread he's working on a second run of the rear/front camera switch. His works. He doesn't need another switch for himself. He does it because he's so generous with his knowledge and sincere interest in keeping the Tesla the coolest car on the planet. I try to read everything on TMC that artsci writes. I have learned so much.

ARTSCI, in behalf of everyone - THANK YOU.

It can't be done means it takes a little more time to do. That's what I always say!!

Reactions: Cyclone
Artsci, for the bumper retrofit, are you going to do the headlight swap as well? I recall someone tried it, but pin-outs are different and couldn't get all the functions working correctly.

I'll be looking into the front lights. Possible pins might be arranged differently. The one function that will have to be activated by Tesla is the auto leveling and I'm not even sure Tesla Service can do it. My feeling is Engineering in Fremont is the only one and for sure they ain't doing it.

It is absolutely higher resolution. You can see the small gravel in the blacktop compared to the old camera which does not show that fine detail. I did a side by side comparison with another Tesla and no doubt about it, much better picture from the new camera. Simple plug and play, don't get no better than that!!!

When you have the chance could you please take a photo or two showing us exactly where we need to attempt to work our hands in to disconnect and then reconnect the cable? My daughter has pretty small hands, so I'm thinking this may be a job for her.

Thanks!

When you have the chance could you please take a photo or two showing us exactly where we need to attempt to work our hands in to disconnect and then reconnect the cable? My daughter has pretty small hands, so I'm thinking this may be a job for her.

Thanks!
I've notified the local child labor authorities.

ohmman, If the idea of a rear-rear Tesla cam does not work out, you might want to look at the Blackvue DR650S-2CH TRUCK version. Mounts a rear cam on the back of the truck or trailer. You can view the image with an ipad or tablet. Although its not on your center console, its still viewable. DR650S-2CH TRUCK

And although its not showing this week, last week, Blackvue was showing a small LCD display that sits on the dash to view live pictures from the camera. Something must have changed, but I suspect it will be back.

ohmman, lunitiks, I thought you might find this helpful. I found this Rear View Display Kit for the DR650 series. Yes, separate from feeding through the center console, but with this and the DR650, you are recording what you are seeing. This is good for existing owners or the DR650.

Also, I've been writing to the Pittasoft folks asking for a 4 channel dashcam so we can get 360 degree view/recording. Today, they wrote me back and told me that although they are not working on a 4 channel version, they are replacing the DR750 with an updated DR650 in mid Feb '17. This is a DR650LS with cloud service and LCD. Hmm, a DR650 with LCD. Something to look forward to.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I'll be looking into the front lights. Possible pins might be arranged differently. The one function that will have to be activated by Tesla is the auto leveling and I'm not even sure Tesla Service can do it. My feeling is Engineering in Fremont is the only one and for sure they ain't doing it.
I'll see if I can find the thread where someone tried it. I think it had some useful info that might be beneficial so you don't have to start from scratch.