Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't work at Tesla, I just read the numbers. It is strange that CA seems behind as it is usually clearly prioritized, however they did get a lot of the 15.11 updates which is rumored to have the same features and changelog as 16.x but also contains the 80% SUC limit which is currently only relevant to CA due to high Tesla ownership.

Conjecture on my part, no guarantees: they may actually have started to NOT prioritize CA, as reliable canary testing requires statistically relevant sampling of all user groups. This would imply that the world has been getting the update all at once, which makes sense, and it was then halted at the 66% level it is now - worldwide. Given the extraordinary high Tesla ownership in CA having 34% of all users not get the update yet means a relatively huge absolute number there, that also historically isn't used to not getting updates before everyone else. This would explain the large number of complaints from CA without there being an actual anomaly.

I wonder if this 15.11 update downgraded itself or the owner had it on ADVANCED to force the software to the latest available.

I'm still waiting in Ohio. AP3 and 12.1.2.
The only downgrades I have seen myself on Teslafi were followed by an exactly reversed upgrade shortly after. They could be anomalies of their tracking software, for example through overeager caching, causing one update job to see the update while another one was still reading old data. I am not aware of anyone ever actually being really downgraded in firmware, if there are issues a new version is released to fix it on the same branch. This also represents good and common software engineering practice, real rollbacks are only ever done in case of "catastrophic failure" requiring absolute immediate intervention.

So far today 20 cars have gotten 16.2. And yesterday there were more. Where did you here that 16.2 has stopped?

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker
Source? Or is this just speculation for now?

someone on reddit's experience:

"I called Tesla Support again late yesterday evening, and talked with a quite stressed out engineer, who told me that the 2019.16.2 software for Model 3 had been revoked, and that a new update would be pushed out ASAP due to the number of faults in the software. However, due to challenges with the automation systems of software, even cars that had the software revoked had the same software re-deployed and installed later."

• Helpful
Reactions: dwalme and curry684
Well founded speculation. 16.2 was obviously on mass rollout with everybody getting it all over the world, went from 4% to 66% in less than 3 days. Then it stopped. Only a handful of people have gotten it since then, mostly S/X that don't have ELDA anyway.

The previous mass rollout of 12.1.2 shot straight to 85+% and then started to fill up the rest slower as it started utilizing 4G which is more expensive to Tesla, hence why they allow a few days first for WiFi users to get it for free. It ended over 97% within a week total.

Secondly, many people have reported to have gotten an update notification that disappeared right as the TeslaFi stats stopped rising.

All of this can only point to the update having been pulled. The part about the reason being ELDA backlash is speculation but highly probable.
Huh??

Attachments

• 161F848C-200E-499F-96C4-718437021E82.png
    161F848C-200E-499F-96C4-718437021E82.png
    521 KB · Views: 66
If you are referring to the fact that it is still being installed, there are many possible explanations for that. As the quote above indicates a distributed system pushing hundreds of megabytes to hundreds of thousands of users is not something that is easily stopped due to it's highly fragmented and distributed nature. It's kinda like trying to stop a running train, takes a damn load of effort before it is truly still.

It may also just be leftovers where the car had already downloaded the update but the user did not approve it yet in app or car. I don't think they can retroactively stop something that is already downloaded.

With 16.2, does anybody get very nervous/jumpy/agitated neighbouring cars in the animation? In mine, it's getting ridiculous: when I'm stopped in a light, if I were to believe the car, there would be cars doing 180s in the middle of the traffic lanes and hitting mine. Ah, and they're transformers, passenger cars turning into vans, rotating, hitting my car and turning back into passenger cars.

Amazing.