Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that is boggling my mind a little is how many firmware versions are “live” (ie actively being deployed at the same time to different parts of the fleet) as far as those cars hooked up to TeslaFi. I mean:

* 2021.36.5.5 - still going out steadily worldwide
* 2021.36.5.6 - going out about the same rate to mainly Australia/US/Canada (as a step-up bug fix of some sort from 2021.36.5.5)
* 2021.36.8.5 - FSD update (update from 2021.36.5.3) for US FSD cars
* 2021.36.8.6 - US-only, has remote sentry view, not many TeslaFi cars have it
* 2021.40 - worldwide rollout, but mainly Canada, adds Tidal streaming. I note that it has “British English” as a language, maybe I won’t have to try to sound North American for some of the voice commands to work properly with that setting?
* 2021.40.5 - worldwide, adds waypoints to 2021.40. No mention in the (unofficial) release notes of remote sentry camera access.

Seems like at least 3 active branches: FSD (US only), remote sentry (US only), and Tidal/waypoints (worldwide). Doesn’t seem like any TeslaFi cars have been updated from 2021.36.8.6 to 2021.40.x yet but that will be when we find out if the remote sentry view is included in 2021.40.x and just geoblocked.

Well, I am getting 2021.36.5.8 atm…another bug fix on the 36.5.x series no doubt?

9BB37250-2F35-4F94-A983-950C1CAE2871.jpeg

Last edited:
the current software update batch is the messiest I've ever seen. 36.5.1, 36.5.3, 36.5.5, 36.5.6, 36.5.7, 36.5.8, 36.6.8, 36.6.8.5, 36.6.8.6, 36.40, in various permutations being upgraded to higher numbers (but none to the highest). A single 36.40.5 version seems to exist on Teslafi, in the UK.

Almost makes me wonder if they're excluding teslafied cars for the latest updates?

the current software update batch is the messiest I've ever seen. 36.5.1, 36.5.3, 36.5.5, 36.5.6, 36.5.7, 36.5.8, 36.6.8, 36.6.8.5, 36.6.8.6, 36.40, in various permutations being upgraded to higher numbers (but none to the highest). A single 36.40.5 version seems to exist on Teslafi, in the UK.

Almost makes me wonder if they're excluding teslafied cars for the latest updates?
Agreed…there must be “something” going on…both my X and 3 are on identical versions (X has FSD but 3 doesn’t)…..do they group my cars together to ensure my wife (or me) doesn’t get software version envy 😜

Agreed…there must be “something” going on…both my X and 3 are on identical versions (X has FSD but 3 doesn’t)…..do they group my cars together to ensure my wife (or me) doesn’t get software version envy 😜
My wife always gets her S update at least a week sometimes a month before me. Identical cars Other than colour. Ladies first I suppose.

• Funny
Reactions: EcoCloudIT
Overpass speed change I was referring to isn't from reading a sign, there are none to see - it's either an error in the database or the algorithm - at least it's consistent.
I suspect some database incorrect data. I have noticed that since the last couple of updates, 2021.36.5.5 and 2021.36.5.6 my car has started to have those strange slowdowns on M1 near Robina. There are no overpasses, no speed limit changes, just consistent 100 speed limit, however there are 2 spots where it changes the set speed to 70 and 80 there even though it knows the limit is 100 as the 100 limit sigh remain on screen, just set speed drops. Since I drive through there every day, I kinda know that it did not used to do that with previous software versions. About 2 years ago there was roadworks in that area, so I suspect someone reported the slower speed and now when roadworks have moved further south they have finally forced the slower speed there :(

Reactions: Didaho
Overpass speed change I was referring to isn't from reading a sign, there are none to see - it's either an error in the database or the algorithm - at least it's consistent.
I have never, ever had an "overpass speed change". I've had phantom braking when approaching an overpass but this doesn't change the TACC setting, just brakes ridiculously.

What I think may have happened is the car thought I was on the motorway exit (even though I was three lanes to the right of the exit lane) and thus slowed accordingly.

I did an experiment yesterday while going from M7 to M5. I left the TACC on as I went onto the exit road from the M7 to the M5. It changed the TACC from the speed to 90 from I'd had it set to on the M7, then it changed the TACC speed to 80. Once I got on the M5 it set it back to the speed I had it on before. This is sort of consistent with what happened a few weeks ago.

I suspect some database incorrect data. I have noticed that since the last couple of updates, 2021.36.5.5 and 2021.36.5.6 my car has started to have those strange slowdowns on M1 near Robina. There are no overpasses, no speed limit changes, just consistent 100 speed limit, however there are 2 spots where it changes the set speed to 70 and 80 there even though it knows the limit is 100 as the 100 limit sigh remain on screen, just set speed drops. Since I drive through there every day, I kinda know that it did not used to do that with previous software versions. About 2 years ago there was roadworks in that area, so I suspect someone reported the slower speed and now when roadworks have moved further south they have finally forced the slower speed there :(
Who knows?
If you are indeed correct it shows a massive lack of forward thinking in the programming. There are literally tens of thousands of minor and major changes worldwide every day: temporary speed limits, closed roads, re-routings and so on. There's no way that even accurate mapping on the Waymo system can possibly handle it. It HAS to be visual-based, and the systems must be able to handle it.
It's interesting to see the beta drivers' videos and how the system gets better in one respect and worse in another: 10.4 seems very much the latter with some of them yet not too bad with others.
It doesn't necessarily come down to safety - if the cars can't be assertive enough to safely negotiate traffic they are going to promote a lot of road rage.

We have a long hill nearby with changeable speed signs that are 40 some days and 60 other days. My car always seems to pick them up fine. I assume it is doing so visually. Also, there is a stretch of road in another area which has (this year, 2021) been changed from 60 to 40. My other cars still show it as 60. My Tesla (which seems to still have older 2020 maps) correctly shows 40 and the decoded sign appears on the car's screen. So I assume that is also happening through the cameras. I do not have FSD but I do have the visualisation turned on for traffic lights and such.

We have a long hill nearby with changeable speed signs that are 40 some days and 60 other days. My car always seems to pick them up fine. I assume it is doing so visually. Also, there is a stretch of road in another area which has (this year, 2021) been changed from 60 to 40. My other cars still show it as 60. My Tesla (which seems to still have older 2020 maps) correctly shows 40 and the decoded sign appears on the car's screen. So I assume that is also happening through the cameras. I do not have FSD but I do have the visualisation turned on for traffic lights and such.
Do you mean like school zones? They are built into the maps but not all school zones are covered. The cameras can't read illuminated signs at this point in time.

The school zones are a strange matter on their own with Tesla. I work in a school and so far I have only 2 times in the last 2 years seen the car show the school zone speed limit and both times during school holidays, never correctly. It does not appear to understand the blinking limit sign with camera detection and its built in schedule is using either wrong timezone and applies it to public schools schedule, where this is a private school, so the school holidays are not an exact match. every morning going to school it should show it, but from what I have been told by other Tesla drivers in the area, it shows school limit an hour later so after I get to work.

I’m having frequent issues with my car thinking 50 zones are 30 or 35 zones. I think it is due to trees partially obscuring suburban street speed signs.

There was one 50 sign near my house that always caused problems (recognised as 30), but now the branch and leaves on that tree have grown enough to completely obscure the speed sign the problem in that location has gone away 🤣

I've certainly noticed a few more spurious 30 detections on recent versions..

Which I don't believe is a common speed limit in Australia (40/ 50/ 60 would be normal suburban speeds).
So I wonder if we are reverting back to some US code where 30 and 35 mph are more common.

I just got 36.5.8, too. Nothing listed in the release notes on screen other than the mobile phone improvements which I already got with 36.5.5 a few weeks ago.

There used to be an icon next to the dashcam and sentry mode icons where it would display all the recent notifications. It seems to have gone.

I wanted to check the notifications I got while driving on Sunday. Late on Sunday morning I was driving east on the M4 and was getting various notifications about the left of right pillar door camera being blocked or blinded. I'd get the left one and it would go away, then the right one, etc. This happened for a while and then I got a notification about multiple cameras being blocked or blinded. Eventually it switched off TACC and disabled it. A short while later TACC was enabled again. I kept getting the left or right notifications periodically even as I was heading south on the M7. I eventually stopped and checked out the cameras. Both had condensation under the glass in front of the camera. There was nothing I could do. I continued my journey and I didn't see the notifications again (even though the condensation was still there).

I have had the left and/or right door pillar notifications before but never has it disabled TACC. Imagine if that happened with FSD!

Reactions: Leeroy
The car is absolutely reading road signs. I live near the Rozelle Westconnex construction and there are new works areas shifting around almost daily. The car picks up the speed limit signs reliably.

It also mistakenly picks up the 40 signs on the back of parked busses more often than it should and just yesterday misread a 40 road works sign that was partly obscured as a 10km/h sign. So, the system needs some work but it is definitely using vision in addition to mapping data.

Overall I would say it functions very similar to but somewhat less reliably in terms of accurately reading Australian signs and road markings than the similar vision-based system in my 2016 BMW.