Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently on software version 2022.40.4.2. Yesterday ran into another frustrating behavior. I started a drive, and the AP was working fine. Then it started one of those really heavy Queensland rain events, where it was bucketing down, so the AP got disabled (I suspect because of poor to no visibility). As it is with QLD rain events, 15 minutes later the rain was gone, and wipers were not needed anymore. As I was driving on M1 I figured it would let me at least turn on cruise again, but no, it kept giving me the message "Cruise unavailable". So I pulled over put the car in park, waited 30 sec and started driving again. The visualizations of the cars were fine and all else looked ok, but still the frustrating "Cruise unavailable" message. After the second try of same thing, I did a 3rd try. This time, pulled over put the car in park and opened the driver door for just 1 sec, closed it and started to drive again. This time it allowed me to use cruise and AP again.
So looks like it needs the driver door to open to reset or re-check if it can allow cruise if it disabled it because of bad visibility. Was really frustrating.

As I was driving on M1 I figured it would let me at least turn on cruise again, but no, it kept giving me the message "Cruise unavailable". So I pulled over put the car in park, waited 30 sec and started driving again. The visualizations of the cars were fine and all else looked ok, but still the frustrating "Cruise unavailable" message. After the second try of same thing, I did a 3rd try. This time, pulled over put the car in park and opened the driver door for just 1 sec, closed it and started to drive again. This time it allowed me to use cruise and AP again. So looks like it needs the driver door to open to reset or re-check if it can allow cruise if it disabled it because of bad visibility. Was really frustrating.

I’ve had that “Cruise unavailable" message periodically on TACC, but on old software versions, way before removal of radar. No idea what triggers it, because on the occasions I can recall it happening was on road trips with fine weather.

But it seemed to fix itself after the car had next stopped/charged/gone to sleep.

I’ve had that “Cruise unavailable" message periodically on TACC, but on old software versions, way before removal of radar. No idea what triggers it, because on the occasions I can recall it happening was on road trips with fine weather.

But it seemed to fix itself after the car had next stopped/charged/gone to sleep.
Yea, for me I needed to stop, put it in park and open driver door for it to start working again. Just stopping and putting it into park did not do the trick. So far I have only had the issue happen before if the self driving computer crashed, so that the car visualizations also vanished from screen. On those occasions I had to get the car to go to sleep to fix it. This time the visualizations were working fine and the sensors were alerting to things around me, just would not allow cruise to be engaged.

Mine’s getting stuck downloading .44.2, repeatedly. Gets half way then stops w/ 0 B/s. Scroll-wheel reset, it restarted but stopped at about the same point. Is this an issue or does one just leave it to sort itself out?

Will it still go to sleep? Don’t want it wasting 200-odd Watts all night.

Mine’s getting stuck downloading .44.2, repeatedly. Gets half way then stops w/ 0 B/s. Scroll-wheel reset, it restarted but stopped at about the same point. Is this an issue or does one just leave it to sort itself out?

Will it still go to sleep? Don’t want it wasting 200-odd Watts all night.
Mine downloaded to 50% then stopped with 0 B/s, I went for a drive while it was in that state, got back home a few hours later and it continued and finished fine.

• Informative
Reactions: bay74
It always stops at halfway to do some kind of verification step that seems to take a really long time. Just leave it, it'll finish eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: bay74
Mine's currently stuck at 16% for the last 3 days lol

A firmware update once got stuck downloading in my car. After a week or so, I lodged a service case with Tesla and they remotely un-stuck it and it re-downloaded in one go. It was all very efficient.

Similarly, my Powerwall 2 got stuck on an old software version and never installed newer versions for over a year. Same deal - lodged a case with Tesla and they remotely un-stuck it.

Mine got stuck as well, but it was for an older update, 40.4.1. Was stuck at 1% for about a day, then disappeared. As I was overseas when that happened I only saw what was reported on the app. Earlier this week and seeing that I'm now 4 versions behind, I lodged a request to get it unstuck.

24h later they called and said they unstuck it, and I'd have to install 40.2 again, which I did. A day later, 44.2 started downloading, took about 20 minutes to 50%, then was stuck at 0B/s download for about 3 hours, and now is installing.

I really wish they offered us a tail -f install.log....

Hey the blended brake setting (introduced with 2022.16 right?) in the Autopilot Pedals and Steering section: mine's now gone. It was there before I stupidly updated to .40, but now it's missing. Haven't had cold enough conditions or full enough battery to test whether the now-hidden setting is in On or Off position though. Is this the case for everyone?

Disagree. Tesla vision is terrible. Mine constantly slams on the brakes in response to afternoon shadows across the road.
I also drive a radar M3 (old software) and it doesn't have these problems.
Ok I was wondering why every time I went under an overpass or tunnel my car slammed the breaks on highways... Now I understand it's Teslavision being stupid thinking the shadow is a car.

Ok I was wondering why every time I went under an overpass or tunnel my car slammed the breaks on highways... Now I understand it's Teslavision being stupid thinking the shadow is a car.
I also drive a 2016 Ford Mondeo with Adaptive Cruise Control, i.e it has radar. Very, very, very rarely over the last 6-years have I had phantom breaking events in the Mondeo, and when I do it's for explainable reasons, e.g. the car on the left didn't merge into the exit lane as quickly as one might expect.

Contrast this to my radar-less 2022 M3. Every time I use AutoPilot I have at least one or more phantom breaking events. Just yesterday it slammed on the breaks as it totally over-reacted to parked car in the parking lane on the side of the road. Bridge shadows and tree shadows often cause it to slow down, sometimes a lot. A car crossing the highway a hundred metres in front of me causes the M3 to slow down.

I have tried a bunch of settings ... increase travel distance up to 5 car lengths, decrease sensitivity of alerts, and what ever else I can find. I eagerly await each new software update, not for the new 'toys' it might contain, but improvements to TeslaVision.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of making excuses for my $65k motor car, especially when I contrast it to my 6 year old Mondeo. Don't get me wrong, I love the M3 and enjoy driving it, I just wish AutoPilot worked as well as advertised by Tesla.

#hashtag ... Bring back radar, please ... I'd even pay for it!

On Sydney's Northern Beaches there's a new short expressway. When heading south west the car interprets the Wakehurst Parkway overpass as a semi-trailer, just floating in the middle of the air. It'll phantom brake for it every single time until the roadway dips below the overpass enough for Tesla vision to come to its senses.

I also drive a 2016 Ford Mondeo with Adaptive Cruise Control, i.e it has radar. Very, very, very rarely over the last 6-years have I had phantom breaking events in the Mondeo, and when I do it's for explainable reasons, e.g. the car on the left didn't merge into the exit lane as quickly as one might expect.

Contrast this to my radar-less 2022 M3. Every time I use AutoPilot I have at least one or more phantom breaking events. Just yesterday it slammed on the breaks as it totally over-reacted to parked car in the parking lane on the side of the road. Bridge shadows and tree shadows often cause it to slow down, sometimes a lot. A car crossing the highway a hundred metres in front of me causes the M3 to slow down.

I have tried a bunch of settings ... increase travel distance up to 5 car lengths, decrease sensitivity of alerts, and what ever else I can find. I eagerly await each new software update, not for the new 'toys' it might contain, but improvements to TeslaVision.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of making excuses for my $65k motor car, especially when I contrast it to my 6 year old Mondeo. Don't get me wrong, I love the M3 and enjoy driving it, I just wish AutoPilot worked as well as advertised by Tesla.

#hashtag ... Bring back radar, please ... I'd even pay for it!
My S with radar has been phantom braking for years, with absolutely nothing around but sometimes a car behind. It’s become an unusable ’feature’ for me. Its worth noting that the manual now warns that phantom braking will occur, and the manual is made available on the ordering page. I think tesla have given up on finding a solution and are now in legal protection mode.