Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An odd (and new) observation as of 2023.12.9.1: The car overnight sometimes adjusts the battery SOC and adds a percent. Without being plugged in.

Some kind of calibration artefact? Or the charge level was very close to a 0.5% mark and gets rounded up once at rest?

I’ve sometimes noticed that the km range shown on the screen when I next get into the car is higher than the figure reported in the “Charging Completed” notification I get on the Tesla app of what range the car has been charged to - by up to 2-3 km.

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
An odd (and new) observation as of 2023.12.9.1: The car overnight sometimes adjusts the battery SOC and adds a percent. Without being plugged in.

I can only assume they finally activated the option to charge from earth's magnetic field!
Having previously, way back when, looked a phone based battery percentage calculations code I recall there being the base calculation and then extra code to say if it has not been charged since the last time always make sure current percentage is less than the last percentage displayed/updated. Battery voltage has the potential to settle again after driving/use and temperature changes. The aways go lower hack would not really be practical for a tesla due to the regen factor.

I have seen something similar for quite a while. I tell the car to charge to 80% overnight, the app and TezLab report that charging has finished at 80% at whatever time, and by the time I get in in the morning the car is reporting 83%. Usually after longer drives with deeper discharges.

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
I suspect as much - some kind of new calibration step. It also is now taking decidedly longer to "fast" charge from 90%-100% (rarely do that, but occasionally need to for long legs). This used to be advertised as 25 minutes taking 35 minutes wallclock time. It now advertises as 35 minutes, but now takes almost 50 minutes wallclock time. This after 9300 kWh of DC charging and 10'000 kWh of AC charging.

You give/sell people what they want, not what you think they need.
Can still charge to 100% which is what some may need but they have to weed out the ones who want but not need. So in a way makes it fairer to those who need, rather than holding up everyone just so those who want but not need can get what they want but not need. Just an exercise in resource allocation.

The customer is not always right is always a good lesso

The other way is to send a price signal.
Expensive for high speed DC charging when SOC low (to pay for infrastructure) cheap in the middle range of SOC then expensive from 80-100% SOC, or time of use.

In any case will need more superchargers and charging infrastructure than there are fuel stations.

Reactions: Vostok
Can still charge to 100% which is what some may need but they have to weed out the ones who want but not need.

Yes - absolutely agree - but easier said than done. People often confuse “needs” with “wants” in their lives, and not just when plugging in at a DCFC 😄.

I’m sure the industry will iterate to a reasonable solution here, it will probably be driven by the economics of their business. Someone charging 90-100% is an opportunity cost to the CPO due to the occupancy time - the CPO is not selling many kWh’s while potentially missing out on someone who was waiting and to whom they could sell many more kWh’s.

Not surprisingly, the biggest challenge CPOs face is dimensioning their stalls on major holiday routes. Extra stalls cost a bomb, both in hardware costs but also utility supply costs and upgrades - but those extra stalls are only really needed at those peak holiday/weekend times and rarely used during the week for example. Having a high peak-to-average utilisation ratio make the deployment economics really tough.

A little birdy told me that urban DCFCs - e.g. ones at shopping centres - are now getting quite high and consistent utilisation across the week, making them the cash cows. I would not be surprised if regional DCFCs run at a loss for quite a long time.

This is getting off-topic though for “Tesla Software Updates” 🫢

Anyone else getting 2023.20.4.1?
I got it on Friday. I'm not sure and maybe it's just that it's cold, but I've not had the regen limited icon on earlier suggested versions, and I think that it has been as cold. I remember reading something about it blending fiction braking when there was a regen limit to make the car the same to drive all the time. It certainly wasn't doing this this morning.