TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Software updates - Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Grenadine, Nov 3, 2019.

1. moa999

moa999 Member

Think it was always scroll wheel, just Hairyman (and probably others) weren't aware.

My personal view is you should be minimising use of the touchscreen while driving.
    So right scroll wheel for following distance.
    Double right stalk down for setting AP to current speed limit
    Left stalk end button for wipers
    Voice for glovebox or changing aircon settings.

My only real use of the screen would be to check for software updates :), switch Spotify albums and if I'm tight on range and monitoring energy charts.

• Like x 2
  2. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

It is something I didn’t know. I’m glad to have discovered it.

• Like x 1
  3. Gratulin

Gratulin Member

I would love to have the energy graph as a card on top of the visualisation display. Then you can take that task of your screen touching list ;)

• Like x 1
  4. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

When I last tried that it did nothing. I prefer to change the cruise control speed with the right scroll wheel (or just touch the speed limit sign).

5. cafz

cafz Member

Double-tap is for engaging AP. A long hold down is what re-sets to the current speed limit.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. moa999

moa999 Member

Correct.
    Woops can't edit my post.

And by long hold I'd call it more a medium hold (maybe half a second at most)

7. jason66

jason66 Member

One of the issues I found was with the speed sign recognition at road works. If it missed the end of road works 100 sign you would be stuck on 60 (eg). No way I could find to reset. Would this medium hold return to the previous speed before roadworks?

8. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

Not quite.
    Double-tap is for engaging AP at Set Speed. You select Set speed in the AP Settings menu. Choices for Set Speed are Current Speed or Speed Limit adjusted for offset (if any). I have mine set to Speed Limit so that is what I get on double tap. I have not tested it lately but I seem to recall long hold down gives you the opposite to what is selected in Set Speed.

9. moa999

moa999 Member

No. It's the same as hitting whatever is on the dash.
    Scroll wheel is the only way when the car is wrong.

Pressing the screen, or using stalk is likely to cause you to break the speed limit.

• Helpful x 1
  10. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

Another way, when the car is wrong, is to use the pedal to accelerate to the speed you want (100 in the example above), release the pedal and then tap the speedometer.

11. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

Glad I am not alone.
    This thread in the parent forums on shows there are many unhappy campers.
    Anyone else dislike the new UI?

12. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

I agree that the warning indicators should be on the other side of that panel, next to the map section. Much easier to see

13. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

I’m glad I’m on “Standard” SW update and have not installed this one. I get the occasional urging to “connect my car to WiFi” to download the next update, but gee, for some reason my car is not connected to WiFi right now :D

Maybe the release after the release after this one will revert to a better UI :cool:

• Like x 2
  14. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

Just re tested this last sentence and it is true when Set Speed = Current speed. Double tap gives you AP at current speed. If you make the second press long you can see the AP activation speed beside the speedo change from current speed to speed limit & AP activates at Speed Limit. Unfortunately the reverse is not true when Set Speed = Speed limit. You get speed limit, regardless of second tap duration. I believe the current speed feature is only on Model 3/Y. Going to leave my Set Speed at current speed from now, on as it is the only setting option that benefits from the long second press.

15. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

You are lucky. I am pretty disappointed with the UI change.
    Can someone tell me where the mute icon for the reverse beeps has moved to? It used to be sitting beside the car avatar. Here is a screen grab of where it used to be (on a LH drive car)
    upload_2021-1-4_17-56-39.png
    I used to use it all the time to shut the warning tones up when backing into my driveway. Now I cannot find it.

16. crustovich

crustovich Member

....and if you 4-tap the right stalk, you get a rainbow road and cowbells! I found that out trying to get this speed sync to work!

• Funny x 4
  17. Punchbuggy

Punchbuggy Member

Whoa! I didn't know you could get reverse beeps, let alone mute it with a button!

Anyway, while we're on the subject of where stuff went, can someone advise where the icon went to press to make a voice command?

• Funny x 1
  18. Gratulin

Gratulin Member

Gone as well. Only the right hand steering wheel button works now. Passenger can reach over and press that button while you are driving or ask the driver nicely to press it...

• Like x 1
  19. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

hold right scroll wheel down

has anyone noticed that NoAP has a new behaviour that will turn back to regular autopilot whenever there is a cross street that intersects a highway?

• Like x 1
  20. meowsers

meowsers Member

What's frustrating for me having driven a US model 3 is navigate on autopilot in Australia requires a bump on the steering wheel to change lanes even though automatic lane change is enabled.

Is this purely an Australian nanny state requirement? The US model 3 software seems to automatically change lanes without any steering confirmation when we used it. As if you have it enabled, the turn signal comes on and the car just changes lanes.

• Like x 1