Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon FSD tweet.PNG

I’m getting a lot of false 40 zones - even when there are no signs to mark the area as such. Not sure if the algorithm is aggregating data and picking up errors from signs on busses.

@paulp is right about the myriad of signs out there where context is everything- tricky for machine learning
Hairyman,
I saw this phantom 40 zone thing today and it was definitely due to a bus with a big 40 sign on the back. Nowhere near school. Sometimes it showed a weird floaty 40 sign on screen and was flip back to normal 60 when passing a legit sign. Bit of a fail IMO as the traffic speed sign should be a static object, not something in the traffic flow.
Later today saw it reading 40 zone signs in kiss and drop zone to the side and a good 10m from roadside I was traveling on. Again a fail to recognise a sign too far to be relevant for the road being traveled on. Problem may be due to being parallel to road I was on?
Also have seen a few messed up 15km/h and 5km/h but didn't see what would have caused it as I didn't note the location to review Tesla cam.
Not sure if Tesla should be informed of the false positives for buses etc or if it will improve with time?
Would definitely not want those speed changes occurring whilst on AP.

Hairyman,
I saw this phantom 40 zone thing today and it was definitely due to a bus with a big 40 sign on the back. Nowhere near school. Sometimes it showed a weird floaty 40 sign on screen and was flip back to normal 60 when passing a legit sign. Bit of a fail IMO as the traffic speed sign should be a static object, not something in the traffic flow.
Later today saw it reading 40 zone signs in kiss and drop zone to the side and a good 10m from roadside I was traveling on. Again a fail to recognise a sign too far to be relevant for the road being traveled on. Problem may be due to being parallel to road I was on?
Also have seen a few messed up 15km/h and 5km/h but didn't see what would have caused it as I didn't note the location to review Tesla cam.
Not sure if Tesla should be informed of the false positives for buses etc or if it will improve with time?
Would definitely not want those speed changes occurring whilst on AP.

Yeah, the whole context thing is a bit beyond it ATM. It will be interesting to see how the new software coming sorts it out. Not for local road use presently!

If anyone wants a better understanding of the FSD beta software, the limitations and challenges I recommend watching this:

Worth noting the Software 1.0 to Software 2.0 transition described in the video.
It is going to take a while to refine the FSD implementation and there will be bumps along the way, but it is exciting and tantalising progress.

• Informative
Reactions: Fazza
I don't think mine ever recognised the digital signs.
My guess is that the FSD team has parked(!) the problem of recognising digital signs.

Unlike static signs where thousands of examples can be used to train the neural net, digital signs are dynamic and potentially the recogniser needs to cope with:
- any value between 0-99
- blank sign
- outer ring flashing
- only outer ring with no digits
- other combinations? (I am not sure how pixel addressable these signs are)

Given the relatively low numbers of digital signs (single digit percentage compared to static signs?) and the special handling for them they would rely on map-data until FSD team can build a generalised solution.

None of the "inverted colours" or "flashing outer rings" issues are a challenge for the neural networks. The LED refresh rate of the signs however is. Look at a dashcam clip with an LED based sign in it - you'll see rapid flashing of individual pixels to the point of even as a human hardly being able to read the sign. That's because an LED's brightness is set by varying the on/off times. These times often are on scales of 10ms - 40 ms cycle times, so you'll get between 50 (best case) to 25 (worst case) on-off cycles a second. A camera recording at 30 frames per second will thus only ever pick up a part of a sign that has its individual pixels flash 25 times per second - and not necessarily all pixels at the same time!

The other reason you haven't seen your car notice these signs is they're on a highway, which currently in Oz does not yet use camera based speed recognition, that's only on local streets.

Anyone else needing to soft reboot the MCU after a few upgrade since 2020.40.4? Otherwise dashcam icon missing and cannot play back in the car..worst is sentry mode events detected but not recorded..
Both my screens (model s) completely shut down for around 5 minutes after I tried using the car the day after the update completed. The car just wouldnt wake up, but eventually did.

..Look at a dashcam clip with an LED based sign in it - you'll see rapid flashing of individual pixels to the point of even as a human hardly being able to read the sign. That's because an LED's brightness is set by varying the on/off times. ..
Did just that and as it happened I have video of that run down the freeway yesterday. The 80kmh signs on the gantries were just blank black circles in the footage. Whereas the standalone electronic ones down at eye level on the side of the road were as you described, flickering and only displaying part of the sign at a time making them totally unreadable. How is it that still camera at 1/2000 sec exposure captures it fine?

Are these kind of road signs really PWM dimmed? Why would you not just use the right DC voltage? Are they variable brightness?
Ta.

They are. Here's a paper specifically about the interaction of PWM LED lighting and automotive camera systems: https://www.ingentaconnect.com/cont...rt00003?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf

You can't just "use the right DC voltage" with LEDs, because the IV curve is both highly nonlinear and temperature-dependent. You can instead use a constant current supply, but I believe PWM is used simply because it's more power efficient to have the LEDs either fully on or fully off at all times.

Anyone else needing to soft reboot the MCU after a few upgrade since 2020.40.4? Otherwise dashcam icon missing and cannot play back in the car..worst is sentry mode events detected but not recorded..

Yeah, mine be doing it lately. This morning reboot and unplug of drive wouldn't fix it (connected to hub). So I rebooted with the Taptes hub unplugged and then plugged it in after reboot.