Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this morning before the update BOTH DISPLAYS went black. Completely.
Thankfully indicators still worked as I could see the reflections since it was dark outside.
I performed a two thumbs reboot with no feedback obviously and some time later the screens booted back up.

update came an hour later...

21.4.11 installed today...same issue /\ occurred - but this time I was driving the family - Not Happy Jan!

Reactions: Wol747 and Vostok
After a while most people (myself included) accept that Tesla "FSD" = a driver assistance package. Level 5 will never happen with our current vehicles and the Robo taxi concept is simply dreaming.

FSD is a collection of convenience features above standard AutoPilot. That is, AutoSteer Lane Changes, Navigate on Autopilot, Smart Summon, Automatic Parking, Stop Sign and Traffic Light Detection. Plus the yet to be delivered "City Streets" which is more or less Navigate on Autopilot everywhere rather than just highways. This will always be Level 2 in the legal sense.

The cost is $10,100 AUD which is inline with any "technology" package you'd pay on a similar priced vehicle except FSD is far superior which actually makes it in my opinion worth the asking price. City Streets in particular is truly incredible.

When it comes to the Robotaxi this is just people being greedy and unrealistic. Elon !=Tesla Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. Everyone who paid for FSD will get what they paid for in that they will receive City Streets when its safe to do so.

Of course your current car most likely will never be a Robotaxi and earn you money. However that is not a reflection on the capabilities of FSD in general. It absolutely will be able to operate as an Robotaxi assuming the rest of the infrastructure is there. No it won't be what you consider Level 5, yes it still make stupid mistakes. However at some point its safe enough and the economic value it creates will reach a threshold that Robotaxi fleets start appearing slowly at first but rapidly in the end. Just like any S curve.

Reactions: Hairyman
Well it might be..
But I fully suspect Tesla will charge another $20/30k or take another 30% for integration with Uber/'TeslaDrive' and some form of attended/automated charging.

But personally not seeing it in my ownership of my TM3.

If Tesla gets FSD fully working they will bring out a fleet of cheap cars (think the CT panels in a sedan) and do it themselves.

Well it might be..
But I fully suspect Tesla will charge another $20/30k or take another 30% for integration with Uber/'TeslaDrive' and some form of attended/automated charging.

But personally not seeing it in my ownership of my TM3.

If Tesla gets FSD fully working they will bring out a fleet of cheap cars (think the CT panels in a sedan) and do it themselves.
All bets really are off on how this all plays out. The best way have to go off is the 2019 Autonomy Day where Elon said that any Tesla owner can add their car to the fleet and Tesla will take a 20-30% cut. In areas where there is high demand, Tesla would send their own cars.

I'd suspect that if Robotaxi is operating in Australian major cities the world will be a very different place. Teslas will cost $100k+ as it will be able to generate $20k per year in revenue.

Last edited:
But that's where differentiation comes in.

Tesla can sell a $60/70k TM3 car with FSD private use only, much like today.

But a far more expensive one (or take a high cut of revenue) for one used for full time rides.

But the reality is if you want the rideshare path you want a cheaper, more robust vehicle, like a Cybertruck turned sedan. Flat panels, framed or even fixed windows etc.

I don't know the answer to that. Teslafi software tracker reports numerous cars update while skipping multiple interim builds. For example updating directly from 2020.12.5 to 2021.4.6 (a 44 week build gap) and 2020.48.37 to 2021.4.10.1 for the latest build. It also reports cars with pending installs as far back as 2020.16.2.1. So presumably that car will install an ancient build when allowed too. Or it could just be dead car? There are a relatively large number of pending install for 2020.48.35.5 holdouts like yourself ;-)
Well I can now confirm that, eventually, a new software update will replace the pending one. This afternoon I received a notification that 2021.4.11 is now ready to install, replacing the pending update for 2020.48.35.5.

So... is anyone on 2021.4.11, is it any good, has it fixed the most egregious mis-steps of the first iteration of the new GUI?