Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is exactly how I feel about these updates, a carrot dangling only to be disappointed
1666143152298.png

• Funny
Reactions: Maximillan
@cafz I have a Raven (2020 S Performance) that would not require an MCU upgrade (yet). Also paid for FSD and am paying $10 a month for premium connectivity and unlike some others here don't have an issue with FSD not being here yet, because the enhanced autopilot is doing me heaps of good already (even though it does some really bizarre things sometimes).
We're in same boat as you with our X....

Having forked out $202,320 in 2020 for what was sold as an updated, non-legacy Model S (and yes having the MCU with LTE) I take issue with being called legacy and not supported two years on. But then again, that's not the only thing with Tesla I take issue with.
Car models get replaced/upgraded all the time, just because you forked out $200k 2 years ago doesn't make you special or are entitled to new extra features, they are a bonus!!! You now, like me, have an outdated "legacy" car, deal with it and be grateful for the features that are still being added years after purchase for FREE!!

Car models get replaced/upgraded all the time, just because you forked out $200k 2 years ago doesn't make you special or are entitled to new extra features, they are a bonus!!! You now, like me, have an outdated "legacy" car, deal with it and be grateful for the features that are still being added years after purchase for FREE!!
Are the regular bugs a bonus as well?

Elon Musk specifically stated that a tesla is the last car you will need to buy as it gets better over time. Hence the upgrades were part of the purchase price.

Last edited:
Part of Tesla's promise as @paulp says is that the cars are being continuously improved. I'm appreciative if freebies. Software updates with Tesla however are not freebies, they are an integral part of the sales contract with the explicitly purchased $10k addon that my car one day will full self drive itself.

It is exactly this departure from superseding models @ARMARM is so accepting of that makes Tesla attractive.

• Funny
Reactions: ARMARM
what's worse is when the hardware is there already and tesla software disables it. e.g. door pockets and foot wells

But yes if one did fork out for the FSD then tesla should provide any hw updates as and when required to have that feature work as intended

OR at least allow owners to upgrade at a cost if they so wish .. e.g. extra sub/amp, fog lights e.g. for some odd reason Tesla wont let me even buy fog lights and enable them through Tesla on my M3 SR+ which used to come with the car before a certain cut of date..yet it is possible if they only update the config of the car and at the server end for my VIN.. pretty sure that's how they allow enabling rear seat heaters after purchasing the option

what's worse is when the hardware is there already and tesla software disables it. e.g. door pockets and foot wells

But yes if one did fork out for the FSD then tesla should provide any hw updates as and when required to have that feature work as intended

OR at least allow owners to upgrade at a cost if they so wish .. e.g. extra sub/amp, fog lights e.g. for some odd reason Tesla wont let me even buy fog lights and enable them through Tesla on my M3 SR+ which used to come with the car before a certain cut of date..yet it is possible if they only update the config of the car and at the server end for my VIN.. pretty sure that's how they allow enabling rear seat heaters after purchasing the option
I so agree with this specially on the front fog lights. I got my SR+ delivered in September 2019 and from that batch some had front fog lights working and some did not. Mine did not, even though you can see the lights are there and not the black inserts that they replaced them with on later batches. So I took it to service center and asked if they could get them working and they told me out right that my car does not have the wiring or controller behind those lights so cannot enable. I believed that until last Christmas the light show software update came out, and imagine my surprise when the light show was able to light up 3 different sections in those fog lights that do not supposedly have wiring or controller behind them...
So they just removed the button in UI for my car to stop me from using them, but the hardware is there and some of their software is fully capable of using the fog lights.

Like many here im still on 2022.28.2 as they have not offered an update for my car. Today I was very annoyingly reminded why my car could really benefit from some major software and possibly camera hardware improvements.
So I had to do about 120km drive and it had just got dark and was a slow drizzle of rain. I was on motorway so I figured put the Autopilot on and relax, well, that was slow lived, as my car suddenly slowed me down to 70 in a 100 zone with this strange message on the screen:
1666345174040.png

So I noticed that the auto wipers were running on an interval of one wipe per about 2 sec and the drizzle was a bit more intense, so I changed from auto wipers to manual wipers and set the speed on 3 and the message went away allowing me to continue on the normal speed of 100. A few minutes later the same message came back again and I also noticed the car was blinding other drivers around, so I turned off the auto steering and continued to stive with just TACC. And to my surprise I got this message again on just TACC and car started slowing down.
Well by that time I had got to an area with no street lighting and I could no longer engage Autosteering anywas as the car was showing me this:
1666345418344.png

A few minutes later the rain stopped completely, so I figured i could turn the wipers back on auto in case the rain starts up again. So TACC was working again fine by then. Drove on TACC for another 5 minutes and then suddenly with no rain at all and nothing visible affecting the windscreen my auto wipers started with a rather brisk pace, that was even faster than my previously used speed 3 on wipers, after about a minute I gave up and turned the wipers totally off, as there was nothing to wipe.
The car just cannot handle the automatic wipers rain or lights in the dark and since the vision-based AP, it cannot even drive in rain anymore.
This has definitely been a major change for the worse since the last years software.

I noticed that it mentions that Tesla is moving from 1.2MP cameras to 5MP cameras, however if they push the Vision based software on older cars with lower resolution cameras, that is where the problem comes in as those cameras are rather useless in low light conditions.
That is my experience too. The current cameras are nearly blind in the dark, certainly they have much less vision than I do. I constantly get that 'cameras blocked or blinded' warning on darker side streets.