Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phantom braking was still an issue for me on 2022.44.25. Went on a longish drive on Christmas Eve and had two unpleasant phantom braking incidents. Neither were on TACC. Luckily both were at low speed but the car actually hit the brakes so hard the wheels locked and I skidded a short distance coming to a complete stop. Not nice. They were so sudden the dashcam automatically saved the clips. On neither occasion was there any risk whatsoever of an actual collision occurring necessitating the car’s actions.

So I went into the menus and changed the “Forward collision warning” from “Medium” to “Late”. And that seems to have fixed it, following another longish drive yesterday. Maybe if the “warnings” are later any action the car thinks it needs to take are also later. TACC was well behaved, no low-speed brake locking instances, and the times the car did slow down without input from me were OK, and also not as sudden or jerky.

So maybe something for others to try.

Got the update to 2022.44.25.1 yesterday.
I now see an option in the mobile app to set the Cabin Overheat Protection temperature - it's set to 40C, but each time I try to set it to a different value, I get "Command failed" message (with a very helpful submessage of "Command failed"..).
Would someone happen to have found a solution to this? I am experiencing the same thing and the heat waves are killing the car.

Reactions: AussieOwner
Wow, only 500m? ... you didn't even give it a fair chance to let it kill you! Just out of interest, where did you try it?
It was a suburban road, 60 km/h, well marked with the left line marking moving towards the center to provide for car parking etc. The car detected the left line marking and made an initial right turn moving the car further towards the middle of the road which was OK, bu then it did a second bite of the cherry with a rather sharp jerk of the steering which got us very close to the center line with the oncoming traffic. It was the lack of smooth adjustment of lane position that didn't inspire confidence. It was even more exciting than the Emergency Lane Departure "safety feature" that I have to remember to deactivate every time I get in the car.

LOL @OzBMR I've had enhanced AP for 3 years on my "FSD" model S and I use it all the time. It never ever did anything scary like what you're describing... and I very much doubt your narrative. Why? If any Tesla *ever* steered into oncoming traffic, there would be no Tesla. Period. It is however a well known fact that people unfamiliar with sitting in machinery operated by a non-human operator spook easily - especially if they know there is no human operator. So there's significant bias in your "experiment".

Give it another go. Make sure you are alone in the car, so nobody else is opining (or screaming) while you let the car do its thing. Learn to be ahead of the vehicle in your mind, give it the leeway you would give a learner driver, and most importantly, understand that *your* way of driving may not be as perfect as you think it is. Your lane keeping may be offset to one side and you don't even know it because you've never seen yourself drive from the outside. You may be leaving too much distance to other cars, or not enough. All factors you need to consider before you dismiss machinery that has worked flawlessy for millions of kilometres. When you feel the lane keeping is bad (and it's driving you into oncoming traffic) look in both of your rear-view mirrors and estimate the distance between your vehicle and the white lines. You'll likely discover that what you thought until now was in the middle of the lane, was actually offset towards the curb. That may be ok in some circumstances, but it's not ok if you think it is the middle...

I'd be the first to cry foul if the car ever did anything dangerous with me in it. The contrary is actually true, it's far too conservative and safe for my taste.
My narrative is a correct assessment of how the car responded in the situation. I'm sure it would have avoided a collision, but it was clumsy at best. I'll just wait for those of you who are more trusting to do the development until it's a smoother experience :)

The phantom braking was still an issue for me on 2022.44.25. Went on a longish drive on Christmas Eve and had two unpleasant phantom braking incidents. Neither were on TACC. Luckily both were at low speed but the car actually hit the brakes so hard the wheels locked and I skidded a short distance coming to a complete stop. Not nice. They were so sudden the dashcam automatically saved the clips. On neither occasion was there any risk whatsoever of an actual collision occurring necessitating the car’s actions.

So I went into the menus and changed the “Forward collision warning” from “Medium” to “Late”. And that seems to have fixed it, following another longish drive yesterday. Maybe if the “warnings” are later any action the car thinks it needs to take are also later. TACC was well behaved, no low-speed brake locking instances, and the times the car did slow down without input from me were OK, and also not as sudden or jerky.

tesla had to factory reset my car just before christmas so Inhad to do a new calibration. The phantom braking seems to have dramatically reduced (but not gone) since that recalibration. I’ll adjust the collision warning to ‘late’ next.

I’m currently on a trip from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast, last leg today
I had one day when phantom braking happened, in a particularly confusing stretch of road near Maroochydore - varying speed limits all over the place
at one point the car kept insisting that the speed had to reduce to 50kph despite no immediate other cars
I overrode it and reset the cruise control so it went away but it was a bit traumatic for a moment - quite a lot of traffic

Drove to Canberra yesterday, on to Melbourne today - and on this latest bug infestation installed in my car, tunnel lane indicators in the M8 tunnel yesterday were an absolute nightmare to navigate, car wanted to stop for almost every one of them thinking it's a traffic light. And it kept refusing to pass cars in the left lane doing 100 while I was doing 110 in the right lane... and it's back to showing cars over or very close to the lane divider when in fact they're nowhere near.

But, they have a new steering wheel defeat detection algo. Well done Elon, spending time on irrelevant code improvements.

But, they have a new steering wheel defeat detection algo. Well done Elon, spending time on irrelevant code improvements.

Don’t forget being able to operate fart mode from the App now. Really tackling the big issues. Elon has totally nailed the allocation of resources in proportion to the stack ranking of the problems to be solved.

Summon finally worked
Maybe wasn’t using it correctly
Would I pay for that? Not really
Tried auto park and was impressed
I would pay for that
Tried Autosteer again and I feel like a level of trust must be used to successfully use. Am I there? Not quite but experimenting ..

Summon not working for me anymore.
2019 M3P; 2022.44.25.1
2022 Model Y: 2022.44.25.3

These are both on “Advanced” updates.

Usually before a summon the car will turn on; the cars do not turn on.

Hopefully it’s fixed up in the next update.

Reactions: johnchidgey
the Apple Music install has been interesting
I updated to 25.1 while I was in a holiday house on the Sunshine Coast
I didn't have a subscription to the cloud-based Apple Music until this install, so had to establish a subscription
my Apple Music application library lives primarily on my laptop at home, connected to a hard drive where the songs are saved
I had the laptop with me, no hard drive - which meant that my music library showed the songs as a big list but couldn't access the actual mp3s and m4as
a lot of those songs were also on my iphone, and Apple Music in the car was showing some of the content from the phone while the phone was showing some of the music that was now in the cloud and not loaded on the phone
driving along I was able to switch between playing music from the phone via bluetooth, and to Apple Music
Apple Music would play my music, as well as offering helpful other similar stuff
this lasted for about ten days
yesterday, driving from Woolgoolga to Sydney it stopped working - the phone popped up an error saying I was using two devices ie the phone and the car
and then, nothing worked
searching for answers via Apple forums is proving a bit fruitless
since arriving home I've been synching my music library to the cloud with my phone attached - hopefully a solution will magic itself
somehow the music in the phone is playing again via bluetooth after I was prompted to re-login to Apple Music

I was on 2022.44.25.2 for my road trip from the Gold Coast to Kyabram in VIC (returned yesterday). I just went to the service centre on the Gold Coast to get the boot lid harness replaced (Tesla asked for the service). After the service I noticed on my mobile app that I was scheduled to receive 2022.44.25.3 at 03:00. I'd never seen a scheduled update before, but I went and applied it once home. Let's see if that makes any differences to the below!

Notes from 25.2. It's really not good enough after 3 years to have the same problems and what I deemed to be new problems based on over 3,600 kms of driving on various types of roads, but mostly highways/freeways.

Problems:
  1. At least two manual takeovers when the car confuses a highway exit for the main road and starts to wobble. There were plenty of slight wobbles which were OK, but the two where I took over were obviously concerning enough for human intervention.
  2. Slow downs when next to or over taking another vehicle. Often it wasn't much, say 2 km/h, but it's annoying when overtaking and there are other cars behind wanting to get past too. Other times it was much more harsh (>5 km/h) which is a noticeable bump for passengers. This tended to happen mostly on bends to the right, with the car on the inside. However it still happened with cars on the outside too. It's also difficult to correct for, as speeding up manually and then taking your foot off the accelerator can result in a drop below the cruising speed again. I resorted to cancelling and re-enabling either TACC or Autosteer.
  3. Random phantom braking. Classic that is starting to get a bit old :(.
  4. Slow downs for crossing traffic that is beyond being cautious. This needs an option, similar to Mad Max mode for changing lanes, if they still want to default to being super safe.
  5. Alerts on curves when another car is approaching. For some reason the car senses impending doom and blasts the warning alarm when everything is going quite smoothly.
Only number 2 above is what I would class as a new problem. All of the others have been there since I received the car in December 2019.

All of these added up to the wife and kids being annoyed to the point where the body language was so obvious that I said, "OK, I'll drive now." My wife even said "Can't you just turn off all the automatic things?"

I'm not sure if Elon or Tesla have said that the new code for the FSD will filter down to us normies, but something needs to be done to put a priority on fixing the basic highway driving when using Autosteer and even TACC.