Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting these? Started a few updates ago where it follows multiple cars and often in other lanes. It’s not phantom braking, but takes it to a different level when you’re trying to pass someone on a freeway! Scrollwheel reset does nothing
In a way.
I noticed after the last update I received, 2023.26.7, that TACC would consider speed of cars in adjacent lanes and occasionally brake hard, even though its own lane is clear. Already annoyed other drivers, sometimes I get flashed at.
Because of this, since the update I often adjust my own speed when TACC is active, particularly during or after lane changes.

It'll slow down if the undertaking speed delta is above some threshold value. Mine also sometimes slows down when overtaking - especially when going only slightly faster than the traffic being overtaken, it will often match their speed rather than overtaking slowly (slowing down by 3-5 km/h). Very very annoying.

What's worse, when on a 3 lane or more motorway, it'll auto lane change into the blindspot of an adjacent lane car: With a car in lane 1, empty lane 2, I'm in lane 3, it'll change into lane 2 smack bang into the blind spot of a car in lane 1. A truly idiotic move.

Also, it still indicates wrong when driving in the right lane of a two lane onramp that merges before entering the motorway (or slip road as some of you call that here). It will actually indicate left when in the right lane, and the left lane merges into the right lane. It's befuddling.

And from a sun angle of about 30 degrees until sunset, it's phantom break-o-rama for me.

Fiasco central...

I’ve had recent weirdness since updating to 2023.26.8 that when charging completes and I receive the notification on my phone, the charge level reported in km in that notification is considerably less than what the car shows when I next get in.

Yesterday the notification said “charging completed with battery at 319 km” but the battery icon in the car showed 338 km when I got in. Today the notification said “charging completed with battery at 332 km” but the battery icon showed 355 km when I got in.

Anyone else seeing similar?

Reactions: MossDaddy
I'm set to % but I have occasionally seen this, where it varies by 1 or 2 %, going back years. I always put it down to the BMS getting a better read on the cell voltages once the car went back to sleep after charging.
I have a very similar experience, but up to 4%. Mainly when the car has been out for long trips with several full battery cycles along the way plus discharges to below 20%. I thought it was just the BMS recalibrating itself. My reported maximum capacity in the Stats app has been as low as 64 kWh, but is settling around 73.

IMG_1225.jpeg

Thanks for your comments but this isn’t a 1-2% discrepancy. 355 km is 7% higher than 332km. Also, this has only started since the most recent software update. Prior to that, the range reported in the phone notification at the completion of charge was exactly the same as what was shown in the car.

Something has gone amiss.

I think @Vostok may be seeing a different/new problem. The only place where I see a difference in reported and actual SOC coming close to what you are reporting is when comparing the car GUI (and phone) with the BMS reported SOC on the CAN Bus - they match at 100%, but at 50% displayed SOC, the actual BMS SOC is about 53%, and at 5% displayed SOC, the actual BMS SOC is about 11% - leaving a buffer of about 6% when displayed SOC is 0%. That's the "traditional" 50km or so range in a petrol car when the tank says it's empty with a light. Or at least that's how I've been interpreting it.

When I did my "record" drive of 652km on a single charge, I drove the last 30km on 0% indicated SOC - and went down to 2% on what the BMS reported. Yes I know that's not good for the battery, but as some of us do, I needed to know the absolute limit. I've paid it back since then by rarely going below 40% SOC or above 90% SOC...

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I had interesting one yesterday in the rain, Model Y RWD with the latest software version.

I feel that the regen braking on the latest version is slightly stronger, which I prefer. However as I was approaching the lights on a wet freeway off ramp, I was braking at around medium (if I had passengers they would have noticed it and likely triggered a look or quiet gasp from my wife) level and the rear of the car stepped out sideways before coming back in.

I believe that the OEM Hankooks (which suit the car, but shouldn't be considered performance tyres) hit a join in the road at the rear, and the regen kicking in combined with the weight being shifted to the front of the car under brakes caused the rear tyres lose traction to step out. I'm unsure whether my slight correction of the steering made a difference or whether the electronics tidied it all up for me.

I was surprised but not concerned, however I've never had an ABS equipped car step out in the rear under braking.

I had interesting one yesterday in the rain, Model Y RWD with the latest software version.

I feel that the regen braking on the latest version is slightly stronger, which I prefer. However as I was approaching the lights on a wet freeway off ramp, I was braking at around medium (if I had passengers they would have noticed it and likely triggered a look or quiet gasp from my wife) level and the rear of the car stepped out sideways before coming back in.

I believe that the OEM Hankooks (which suit the car, but shouldn't be considered performance tyres) hit a join in the road at the rear, and the regen kicking in combined with the weight being shifted to the front of the car under brakes caused the rear tyres lose traction to step out. I'm unsure whether my slight correction of the steering made a difference or whether the electronics tidied it all up for me.

I was surprised but not concerned, however I've never had an ABS equipped car step out in the rear under
If that was mine I would be recording the precise time and asking tesla to check the abs etc in the logs. Just does not seem right.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
I feel that the regen braking on the latest version is slightly stronger, which I prefer

Mate Im logging allot of things on canbus across both the vehicle network and the chassis network in my model 3 for various reasons and I can say the regen average and the regen limits and how much regen is effected by cell temps and so on is all unchanged. It might be your perception with spring coming, or just a feeling.

I was surprised but not concerned, however I've never had an ABS equipped car step out in the rear under braking.

All cars will exhibit that when a tyre is loaded up and the tyres slip angle is changing especially

This is pestering me in my laptimes and really frustrating me. I dont pretend to be the ultimate driver from F1 but nonetheless I have been competitive at a national level in offrroad motorsport. I know its me holding back consistent tenths a second a lap. Im finding it hard to truly get tenths each lap on a BEV with regen enabled. I hope I improve and Im trying different techniques to coach my training in this area.

The other thing which is messing me up being super quick every lap like a robot is I cant left foot brake in these vehicles the model 3 goes limp mode momentarily if you try. This really throws my rythm especially right on it where I know its going to step out in similar ways to what you describe and it needs to be super smooth and gentle to stay fast without costly slow downs like you mention.

appreciate your talking about the street but the same physics apply in both cases

Reactions: Maximillan
and the regen kicking in combined with the weight being shifted to the front of the car under brakes caused the rear tyres lose traction to step out
But a freeway offramp tends up be uphill, so most of the weight of the car will still be on the rear wheels

all unchanged
Yes, I have not perceived any changes in regen characteristics

All cars will exhibit that when a tyre is loaded up and the tyres slip angle is changing especially

I have regularly wondered about this with my RWD Model 3.

You have a M3P so presumably your regenerative braking is braking all 4 wheels.

On the RWD, it is only braking with the rear wheels, which will be receiving twice the braking effort for the same deceleration. I've had the vehicle rear skid out sideways quite considerably once when traversing a very slippery muddy section of road - I haven't had the vehicle long, so I most likely went into "ice" driving mode and subconsciously lifted my foot off the pedal to coast through it - but of course I wasn't coasting through it, I was probably braking the rear wheels through re-gen over the slippery patch, which would have been the worst thing to do. Bit like pulling a hand-brake turn.

It would be nice to be able to turn re-gen off for these situations. We also get a lot of black ice where I live which scares me a little for the above reason.

Regen in my 2020 S is operating from the front motor. In fact, the front motor only is used for propulsion and regen until power demand is above about 150kW, at which point the rear kicks in.

I've never had mine break out in the rear - not even on the racetrack.

I've never owned a car that drove as well on ice. I recently impressed the parking lot at Thredbo with nobody but me able to go up the slight incline on a large patch of solid ice.

When braking on ice, you can throw as much technology at this basic physics problem of having no friction as you want, the outcome is going to be the same...