Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the new M8 connection to the underground Rozelle spaghetti junction yesterday for the first time, and the Tesla Nav and TACC got completely and utterly confused. It was part hilarious and part scary.
I had the exact same experience on the M8 as well (Iron Cove Link). The 60kph in the tunnel seems too slow when there's little traffic about, so I turned on TACC as I didn't know where (if any) the speed cameras were. But there were so many incidents of hard braking... that I had to turn it off shortly after entering the tunnel.

Reactions: Vostok
the actual navigation is done by MapBox.
Apparently, but who does MapBox get their maps from? They source from multiple sources (according to their website).
Tesla also uses TomTom data
I suspect TomTom is one of the MapBox sources. I suspect this because only TomTom and Tesla had my local roads wrong. I corrected that with TomTom 6 months ago, but that is yet to flow through to Tesla. I'm waiting.
no+one has been able to nail down exactly what they use or the frequency of refresh.
Correct.

An interesting long term parking episode:

I've been away from November 16 to December 16. Charged the car to 90%, and left it just parked at home, not plugged in. When I returned it was at 53%. Teslafi did its normal polling. Average loss was about 1-2% per day.

I charged the car again to 90% on Dec 16, and left again on Dec 17 until Jan 8th. Same deal, car parked at home, not plugged in. Until Jan 4th, the same drain of about 1-2% applied - but then it accelerated to 8% per day. When I returned on Jan 8th, it was down to 11%!

Went to charge on return, again to 90%, and as I parked the car at home, the battery SOC jumped from 89% to 98%. All documented on Teslafi - no dyslexia on my part.

Did a bit of driving today and experienced completely normal battery drain during the drive down from 98% to 78%, driving 83km.

Also noticed that when single pull TACC+AS is enabled, overriding AS cancels both TACC+AS - which kinda makes sense, but still caught me by surprise... so back to double pull it is.

All documented on Teslafi - no dyslexia on my part.
Here’s my theory. If Teslafi is documenting all of this, then it must be waking the car up to get the information. Or something is waking the car up. And this is where your battery loss is happening.

When I had my car off for two weeks, I lost hardly anything. Maybe 1%. But Teslamate, which I use instead of Teslafi, did not record any data. Teslamate does not wake the car up, and only gets data when the car is awake for other reasons. Hence minimal battery loss for me.

Oh I'm not worried about the 1-2% loss per day caused by the car waking itself, checking in, and occasionally being kept awake by Teslafi querying the car - I'm fully aware how this works.

The issue is the 8% per day loss starting on Jan 4th. No idea what caused that. I actually stopped Teslafi from querying the car, and that still didn't stop the massive (vampire) drain.

The other issue is the sudden adjustment from 90% SOC to 98% SOC while parked and not plugged in. That doesn't make sense to me. BMS calibration is certainly a possible candidate for this, but after 5km of driving? Hardly.

Oh I'm not worried about the 1-2% loss per day caused by the car waking itself, checking in, and occasionally being kept awake by Teslafi querying the car - I'm fully aware how this works.

The issue is the 8% per day loss starting on Jan 4th. No idea what caused that. I actually stopped Teslafi from querying the car, and that still didn't stop the massive (vampire) drain.

The other issue is the sudden adjustment from 90% SOC to 98% SOC while parked and not plugged in. That doesn't make sense to me. BMS calibration is certainly a possible candidate for this, but after 5km of driving? Hardly.
I noticed abnormal battery drain on my X this month, and found that sentry mode had re-enabled itself while at home location.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
I went to Sri Lanka in September and left my Model S plugged in but turned down the charge level to 50%. I was away 3 weeks and it didn’t go down far enough to charge, but being plugged in acts as a safety net. Sitting in the departure lounge, connected to WiFi at Colombo Airport I fired up the app and moved it back to its normal charge level and it was ready when I returned.
Can only guess that your car was polling for something upon being woken by your return, have you received a software or navigation update?

I remotely installed two updates while I was away. The sudden increase in drain did *not* coincide with
- sentry mode coming back home (it did not)
- any other climate modes turning on

However, when I got back, the MCU was dead and needed a two button reboot to come back alive.

They really ought to have a watchdog for these things. If the MCU goes dead/stops responding, remove power from it.

Sort of goes in line with why can't we put our cars into deep sleep when leaving for extended periods?

Reactions: Hairyman
Software finally updated 2 days ago with the Holiday Update (new Model 3 Highland so delay in getting the first software update, apparently). The door lock chime changes work through boombox (i have the windows shutdown sound on the usb - I quite like it for now). And the heat mapping is working (no USS on this model), though not overly effective in my opinion. But working.

If anyone else wants me to check anything on the new car, let me know.

Software finally updated 2 days ago with the Holiday Update (new Model 3 Highland so delay in getting the first software update, apparently). The door lock chime changes work through boombox (i have the windows shutdown sound on the usb - I quite like it for now). And the heat mapping is working (no USS on this model), though not overly effective in my opinion. But working.

If anyone else wants me to check anything on the new car, let me know.
Thanks for reporting back! I like your idea of the windows shutting down sounds. Wondering if there are other creative ideas as well that others have?

Reactions: DougalVizsla