Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Version 10.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Georgia we don't use a front plate (thank goodness) and it is illegal to back into some parking spaces and cover your tag.

Another option: when you back onto a space, don't cover your tag. Leave it visible. If you back up to a wall close enough that your tag can't be read, you can expect trouble.

Also, your posted parking ticket for backing into a space? It's for backing into an *angled* space. You don't back into an angled space, and neither will a Tesla. You drive in, and you stay facing the same direction as the only flow of traffic.

When you later back out, there is no cross traffic. Your rear camera looks directly at oncoming traffic. There's nothing to "miss."

Initially, when backing up, the car will be able to see traffic on either side. (A lot more angle than I thought.) But as it backs up further, it will tend to have larger and larger blindspots! Obviously physically not possible to see around the rear bumper edges (and lacks a couple degrees before that as you can see, at least on one side, for me).

This is absolutely true, and I have encountered this when backing out. I rely 100% on the rear camera for visibility (whereas in my previous cars, I always grabbed the right passenger seat with my right arm to pivot my body backwards to look out the back).

What happens is as you back out (of a perpendicular spot), camera shows all clear. Then as you start to make the turn, on-screen there appears a car sitting right there waiting on you to finish your maneuver.

I think what's important to note here is that despite the increased blind spots as you back out, if you're backing out slowly, an approaching car in the blind spot will see your action and slow/stop. Or if they are aggressive, they will try to shoot past you by swerving left a bit. In that 2nd situation, the car appears in the rear camera view, so you (or FSD) can react.

So in practice, I don't see the blind spot to be a dealbreaker for FSD backing out. It has some of the same limitations humans do. I agree though that a wider backup camera would be much safer here. I tend to believe that we still don't know the capability of the existing rear camera for a few reasons:

- the FoV has changed (subtly) a few times thru firmware updates
- Autonomy investor day mentioned that the framerate and full resolution of the cameras are not in use today because HW2.5 cannot handle the data throughput. What we see in the rear camera and the dashcam recordings could be dramatically lower res and FR than the capabilities of the cameras.

Would be curious if anyone has disassembled a camera to test what its resolution/FR is...

I agree though that a wider backup camera would be much safer here.

When I looked at it (see pictures above), it’s actually pretty much as wide as it can be. Perhaps it could have a couple more degrees but it is pretty close to 180 degrees. But the problem you describe can’t be avoided even with 180 degrees field of view, since backing creates a larger and larger blind spot.

I have started to really pay attention to the very edges of the image in the backup camera. Would be kind of cool for them to flag moving objects onscreen; can be hard to see small moving objects.

When I looked at it (see pictures above), it’s actually pretty much as wide as it can be. Perhaps it could have a couple more degrees but it is pretty close to 180 degrees. But the problem you describe can’t be avoided even with 180 degrees field of view, since backing creates a larger and larger blind spot.

Yeah, I'm actually really happy with the wide angle. that's why I no longer feel like I have any advantage turning my head toward the back.

My point was that despite the growing blind spots, if you back out slowly, the oncoming cars will see that and react. Today, every human backs out of a spot blind. If you have a rear passenger, with their help you are less blind. The rear camera is like the ultimate rear passenger - they're as far back as you can go. Which is why I think I'm much safer relying on the rear camera view than looking back. And the same reason I think FSD backing up will be safer than a human backing out.

I’m really curious if people actually believe that adding features like YouTube, Netflix Streaming, etc is delaying FSD in any way?

There is practically no overlap between the expertise needed for autonomy and streaming video/audio through HTML 5.

Moving every UX programmer over to autopilot team is like asking 9 women to work together and give birth to a baby in one month.

Being a software developer myself I believe you are absolutely correct. Adding more developers to a project does not necessarily help the project.

I find it interesting that Elon seems to want to bundle Enhanced Summon with V10. I would think that Tesla could push out V10 first to get it out there and then release Enhanced Summon later. But maybe V10 is a prerequisite for Enhanced Summon?

I find it interesting that Elon seems to want to bundle Enhanced Summon with V10. I would think that Tesla could push out V10 first to get it out there and then release Enhanced Summon later. But maybe V10 is a prerequisite for Enhanced Summon?

@diplomat33 - It could be that he needs to do "the bundle" as there may not be that much "wow" in the v10 release by itself. It could also be that v10 is further behind than reported - tying the delayed, now "Smart," Summon to it hides the possible new v10 delay... It would also be easier to tie a FSD price increase to that larger "bundle" as well. Time will tell... how much time, that is the question... :)

Last edited:
Parking in The Rose City | Madison Borough, NJ

At the municipal level, head-in parking is enforceable via code. Happens all the time.

Above is just one example. Plenty of it ‘round these parts.

Must be rough. This is how it looks at the courthouse.

Screenshot_20190822-160023.png Screenshot_20190822-160208.png

The nose-in rule is for the angled lots, like this one:
Screenshot_20190822-160502.png

Being a software developer myself I believe you are absolutely correct. Adding more developers to a project does not necessarily help the project.

It usually makes it worse. Unless you can ensure everyone is working on completely separate functionality you can get overlap and conflicts that take even more time to sort out. I work for a small company with just 2 developers and we've kind of come to an understanding over who owns what code and only touch each others sections if we absolutely have to.