Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Version 10.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similarly, most automotive OEMs, but not Tesla, have also figured out how to do all of the following:
  • CarPlay/Android Auto integration (my life revolves around my cell phone, not one of my cars)
  • Heads Up Display with Navigation info (great for reducing driving distractions)
  • 360 surround camera view of the vehicle (great for tight parking situations)
  • Rear cross traffic (priceless in congested parking lots)
  • Rear automatic emergency braking
  • Blind spot monitoring and alerts
  • Infrared Night Vision with animals/pedestrians detection
a

^^^^^^^^^^ This should be what Tesla is working on in addition to FSD. I know the topic of Heads-Up Displays went by the wayside when we received our Model 3's, but I would still love to have this after all of the other safety features listed above were provided.

Reactions: afadeev and jebinc
From this thread alone, I'm certain few people know what real FSD actually entails and are taking Elon at his fanciful word.

The only way real FSD can be realized is if all other vehicles were FSD as well as aware of each other in real time, while having a dedicated road/track completely void of any chaotic influence and outside anomalies.

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY
The parking maneuver is getting out of the space.

The contention I have heard many times is the car will never need to back out of a parking space.

It will, eventually, need to back out of a space.

What you've really heard is it will never need to back out of a parking space into cross traffic- which can only happen in perpendicular parking.

And it won't, because it backs into those spots, and exits them forward.

Hence no need for rear cross traffic alert.

As noted when pulling out of a diagonal spot you've already got much better rear visibility, and you're pulling into 1-way traffic, not cross traffic.

When pulling out of a parallel spot you're also pulling into 1-way traffic, and should have good rear and side visibility from the start.

What you've really heard is it will never need to back out of a parking space into cross traffic- which can only happen in perpendicular parking.

And it won't, because it backs into those spots, and exits them forward.

Hence no need for rear cross traffic alert.

As noted when pulling out of a diagonal spot you've already got much better rear visibility, and you're pulling into 1-way traffic, not cross traffic.

When pulling out of a parallel spot you're also pulling into 1-way traffic, and should have good rear and side visibility from the start.
In Georgia we don't use a front plate (thank goodness) and it is illegal to back into some parking spaces and cover your tag. So how does this work??? Simple math: Cars WILL have to back into cross traffic when you multiply millions of cars x millions of edge situations x millions of miles driven x millions of unique locations and situations.

EXAMPLE: Car turns into a narrow street that it is in the process of being blocked off and it is stopped by the construction crew who are putting up a barrier and is told/signaled it must back out.

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 6.50.35 PM.png

Last edited:
In Georgia we don't use a front plate (thank goodness) and it is illegal to back into some parking spaces and cover your tag. So how does this work??? Simple math: Cars WILL have to back into cross traffic when you multiply millions of cars x millions of edge situations x millions of miles driven x millions of unique locations and situations.

EXAMPLE: Car turns into a narrow street that it is in the process of being blocked off and it is stopped by the construction crew who are putting up a barrier and is told/signaled it must back out.

View attachment 435452

I know nothing about Georgia laws, but for the specific citation above, that was clearly issued for backing into an angled space, so it’s not relevant to the discussion above regarding parking spaces. I can see why it would be illegal, since it would require some pretty strange contortions to get into the spot, and it might make it more likely to go the wrong way on a one-way street if it were permitted.

Whether or not the Georgia law is more broad than that, I have no idea. Just speaking to the specific citation above.

In Georgia we don't use a front plate (thank goodness) and it is illegal to back into some parking spaces and cover your tag.

How are you "covering your tag" by backing in?

Cop might have to walk around the back, but I'd love to see the law that says "You must not force a cop to walk 2 feet"

By all means if you know of such a law though, please cite it! (code reference and a linked source would be great)

Simple math: Cars WILL have to back into cross traffic

Yeah, not really though.

That appears to say you were ticketed for backing into an angled spot, not a perpendicular one... so not actually relevant to the discussion on cross-traffic alerting.

Try again!

Although v10 may be underwhelming, it’s a lot more than other car makers are doing.

We don’t know the full feature set, just bits and pieces of what Elon has tweeted about. It sounds like we’ll be getting some needed improvement with the infotainment. If that includes new streaming options other than Slacker that alone is a pretty big deal. Without knowing the entire feature set that will be introduced in version 10 I think it’s a bit premature to call it underwhelming.

From this thread alone, I'm certain few people know what real FSD actually entails and are taking Elon at his fanciful word.

The only way real FSD can be realized is if all other vehicles were FSD as well as aware of each other in real time, while having a dedicated road/track completely void of any chaotic influence and outside anomalies.

The premise is, if we can accomplish this feat with just two eyes, an AI system, with many cameras and sensors, could ultimately accomplish this same task, with even greater efficacy. Which is entirely reasonable if you’re being objective. For the same reason the simulation theory is objectively possible. If the rate of progression of X technology continues at an exponential or even consistent rate, the time at which we can replicate any natural ability and then surpass it, is an inevitable outcome. As it is, one only has to look to the amount of accidents and fatalities on the road today from human drivers, to see we are not that great at the task anyway. Even if you want to argue about .0001% of possibilities the net gain from an ever increasing percentage of Level 4 or 5 cars is a net gain for safety of everyone as a whole.

I've seen several videos of the EAP Enhanced Summon cars backing out of parking spaces, I don't understand the issue.

Not quite sure what you are describing here?

Enhanced summon isn't officially a released feature at all so we're still not clear what limitations it'll have in general..... that said, in the ones I've seen it usually tried to go forward whenever possible. For example-

Several examples of it backing up slightly (with another car parked nose to nose) and then trying to pull forward around it...(and usually failing and stopping entirely... there's a reason this feature is not officially out yet).

But autopark always parks the car in a perp. space by backing into it, so it can pull out of it forward for a reason- it's safer (regardless of the tech on the car).

The car needs to see cross traffic both in reverse and going forward

In the few advanced summon videos I've seen where the car has no choice but to back out, it does- but in all those examples there weren't usually other cars on either side blocking the side cameras like you'd normally have a busy lot.

Given it doesn't have rear radar, how specifically do you suggest they make the car "see" cross traffic in reverse when there ARE cars (or more likely SUVs/trucks) parked on either side in a perp parking spot that the human driver foolishly and dangerously parked forward in?

Reactions: Pkmmte
Given it doesn't have rear radar, how specifically do you suggest they make the car "see" cross traffic in reverse when there ARE cars (or more likely SUVs/trucks) parked on either side in a perp parking spot that the human driver foolishly and dangerously parked forward in?

Combination of Rear View Camera, Rearward Looking Side Cameras and Forward Looking Side Cameras. The forward radar is narrow, it would never be able to see forward cross traffic either. If the system only relied on the forward radar, it will be t-boned the first time it tries to cross an intersection at a two-way stop sign.

9E0D31FB-187B-41AA-9679-95C8CF4C4463.jpeg

Not quite sure what you are describing here?

Enhanced summon isn't officially a released feature at all so we're still not clear what limitations it'll have in general..... that said, in the ones I've seen it usually tried to go forward whenever possible. For example-

Several examples of it backing up slightly (with another car parked nose to nose) and then trying to pull forward around it...(and usually failing and stopping entirely... there's a reason this feature is not officially out yet).

But autopark always parks the car in a perp. space by backing into it, so it can pull out of it forward for a reason- it's safer (regardless of the tech on the car).

In the few advanced summon videos I've seen where the car has no choice but to back out, it does- but in all those examples there weren't usually other cars on either side blocking the side cameras like you'd normally have a busy lot.

Here's a video of the car backing out of a full parking lot (not doing a great job, but doing it nonetheless).

I really wish Tesla had hedged a bit more on the design of the sensors in this car. It’s fine to try to build the car in a way that makes it easier to implement self driving in the future but that future might be a long ways off. In the meantime I wish they had placed some of the currently useless cameras in different locations that would allow for birds eye view or rear cross traffic.

This has been covered before....

Rear View Camera

Not wide angle enough (see your attached picture - or try to use it when backing out of a space with vehicles on both sides). Missing 10-15 degrees on each side.

Rearward Looking Side Cameras and Forward Looking Side Cameras

Blocked, zero visibility, in the situation under discussion.

The forward radar is narrow, it would never be able to see forward cross traffic either.

You may well be correct - I know nothing about the radar’s field of view - your picture definitely does not make it look promising.

Reactions: Pkmmte
This has been covered before....

Not wide angle enough (see your attached picture - or try to use it when backing out of a space with vehicles on both sides). Missing 10-15 degrees on each side.

Blocked, zero visibility, in the situation under discussion.

How do you back out now? Your eyes are "blocked, zero visibility, in the situation under discussion."

Reactions: M109Rider
How do you back out now? Your eyes are "blocked, zero visibility, in the situation under discussion."

Extremely slowly and carefully. Lots of neurons and I can see through windows - my head is also a bit higher than the cameras.

Often these days I back in for this reason. But not always; does not always make sense. I’m not dogmatic about backing in; sometimes it is antisocial behavior.

To be clear: yes, it is a lot harder to back up than it is in some other vehicles, due to lack of radar sensors and the relatively poor rear visibility.

I also am not dogmatic that Enhanced Summon will not work if you park faced inwards - I’m sure it will work most of the time. But my guess is that some of the time it will end in tears - probably regardless of which way you park! I don’t think parking facing outwards is some sort of panacea that solves all ills.

Last edited:
Reactions: TT97
Extremely slowly and carefully. Lots of neurons and I can see through windows - my head is also a bit higher than the cameras.

Often these days I back in for this reason. But not always; does not always make sense. I’m not dogmatic about backing in; sometimes it is antisocial behavior.

To be clear: yes, it is a lot harder to back up than it is in some other vehicles, due to lack of radar sensors and the relatively poor rear visibility.

I also am not dogmatic that Enhanced Summon will not work if you park faced inwards - I’m sure it will work most of the time. But my guess is that some of the time it will end in tears - probably regardless of which way you park! I don’t think parking facing outwards is some sort of panacea that solves all ills.

Lucky, my eyes are roughly at the same level as the pillar camera so I don't have to worry about hitting the glass with the top of my head.

The car backs up carefully as well. It starts by using the rear camera (which what it sees is wider than what you see in the center screen) and once the other cameras clear, it can use them as well.