Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Spotify Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Apple Music users, hubby and I are trying to work out the best way to get our music onto our forthcoming Model 3.

Given the lack of CarPlay and Tesla’s slightly feature-less bluetooth implementation we’re thinking about syncing our Apple Music playlists with Spotify.

Is it possible to access the credentials for the Spotify account that comes with the car? Or has anyone else found a good way of doing this?

Another option might be getting a free Spotify account, syncing Apple Music to that then sharing the playlist with the car’s account...

I've not had a problem with using Bluetooth to reroute music from phone to car - but maybe that'snot what you meant?

Not so much that it doesn’t work, but that it’s impossible to change the music / browse playlists in the UI, nor does it have (to my knowledge) the ability to trigger Siri.

Using the built-in Spotify system would be fine, using the Tesla voice control to request music. I just need a sensible way to get my playlists into the car’s Spotify account.

I just need a sensible way to get my playlists into the car’s Spotify account.

Gotcha. I know that Spotify works well on Model-S ... but I'm an old dinosaur and no idea about how to juggle alternative music sources. I've never got into the Playlist approach ... kids (not so young any more ...) put theirs on so we can "enjoy their music" :) when they are in the car ... and seems to me we just wind up listening to the same stuff over and over. My wife and I just have artists that we like in the [spotify] Favourites and pick something we want to listen too - and when that finishes if we don't choose something else it goes into what is wrongly termed "radio" for that artist and starts playing other similar-genre stuff.

I expect Apple Music does similar ...

I'm no Spotify expert - far too old! - but there might be some mileage in trying it out "native" before migrating what you already have?

These transitional things are a proper 1st world nuisance though. So you bought a car and now wind up paying £9.99 a month for Spotify account you hadn't realised you would need ... and all the hassle of maintaining music in two places. (Maybe you will prefer Spottily to Apple in which case Winner!)

Reading the iPace forums they are finding that the data usage is high and are having to buy a bigger SIM contract - anything up to £50 a month. That's quite an Ouch for an unexpected transition cost ...

Tesla could support CarPlay ... but then something else would come along and its absence would be annoying too. Sorry, just ruminating, no actual answer.

• Helpful
Reactions: dst87
That’s OK - all of the ‘out loud thinking’ is useful and interesting.

The option of just using Spotify natively and not bothering with playlists is certainly an option, though we do have some playlists we really like. Some are subscribed to (like Disney’s “Disney Hits” playlist, which I know is also available on Spotify - don’t judge!) others are ones we’ve carefully crafted to suit our own abysmal tastes.

I’m not too worried about our data plan - our current car has CarPlay and we use Apple Music extensively. It’s never been a problem, but we both have huge data allowances.

We’ve looked into some automatic methods of syncing Apple Music playlists to a Spotify account so I think we should be good with that... if we can get the credentials for the Spotify account linked to the car.

don’t judge!)

<fx: Toggles off to find that one in the car!>

Re: data plan that was in reference to iPace getting maps etc. Something "inclusive" on Teslas (at least for the first X years)

automatic methods of syncing Apple Music playlists to a Spotify account

Useful to know that exists, thanks. You can use your own Spotify account in the car (in a Model-S at least)

. You can use your own Spotify account in the car (in a Model-S at least)
Spotify premium account which as you said is £10/month. This question has been answered before elsewhere and as far as I know you cannot access the car account details.

There has been work on some web-based Apple Music sites that you can access from and play your tunes from the car web browser although as the OP mentioned it isn’t possible to change tracks via the steering wheel.

How about just invoking “Hey Siri” and shouting at her to play your music instead if you don’t want to move out of the apple ecosystem - I’m an Apple Music user and either use Siri or just build my playlists up in the car instead. Maybe one day Tesla will play nice with Apple.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Interesting thread. We are also Apple Music subscribers and heavily tied into the Apple ecosystem with HomePods etc. So I’ve no intention on switching away from Apple Music to Spotify. I think I’ll just try to use the Spotify account that comes with the car and create playlists on that for when I’m driving. Would certainly rather use the car user interface than try to use it via the phone. Current car has Apple CarPlay which I do use a lot, but I can live without it. In fact I find it quite distracting at times with all the messages popping up constantly.

As Apple Music users, hubby and I are trying to work out the best way to get our music onto our forthcoming Model 3.

Given the lack of CarPlay and Tesla’s slightly feature-less bluetooth implementation we’re thinking about syncing our Apple Music playlists with Spotify.

Is it possible to access the credentials for the Spotify account that comes with the car? Or has anyone else found a good way of doing this?

Another option might be getting a free Spotify account, syncing Apple Music to that then sharing the playlist with the car’s account...
I've not tried this yet (waiting for Model 3), but I strongly suspect that both the Tesla Spotify account and a personal free Spotify account come with restrictions that will frustrate you. A Spotify Premium will still take some work, but should do what you want.

I think I’ll just try to use the Spotify account that comes with the car and create playlists on that for when I’m driving. Would certainly rather use the car user interface than try to use it via the phone.

That's pretty much what I do, although you can't make personal customised playlists that way. You can only store "favourites" in the form of searchable Spotify playlists, artists, albums and songs. To have the flexibility of building your own custom playlists you need your own premium Spotify account, which you can then log into directly from the in-car Spotify app. As I'm also an Apple user at home, I don't think it's worth another £10 per month subscription. But overall I find the Tesla Spotify experience very good, now they've got it working half decently (it was a bug-ridden nightmare only a few months back).

Reactions: interbear
Apple music AND Spotify premium account, than pay for data on top....Am too tight to pay for even more than 1gig of free data that come with my phone!!

My daughter has already learnt adverts are part of life and to skip when possible, our Tesla is the only place where we get uninterrupted music which we can pick :).

My home internet (fibre Talk Talk unlimited on special offer) is barely more than that, £20/month just on data for a car is mad.
I’m not sure anyone’s suggesting paying £20/mo for car data. You’re already paying for a mobile phone plan and with a little bit of attention you get get a lot of data for the money.

Many people are stuck on legacy plans because they’ve never bothered to switch. I think that was the point being made.

I get faster data in outside lane of M3 than I get at home - and thats not sluggish at 36Mbs

20190714_062736563_iOS.png

20190714_062848000_iOS.png

20190714_062410000_iOS.png

ps I was a passenger

Reactions: dst87
I get faster data in outside lane of M3 than I get at home - and thats not sluggish at 36Mbs
ps I was a passenger

With the shameful inattention to the UK’s home broadband infrastructure its not surprising to me that the mobile networks are faster.

A friend of ours has moved to the country and gets appalling internet (not legally broadband, I believe) so he’s using a router with a SIM card instead. Gives him acceptable internet at home (albeit with a worse ping).

Thankfully we have access to pretty good internet where we live (we ensured that before moving) but still poor when compared on a world stage.

pphVPpg.jpg

Reactions: goRt