Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Defuniak Springs, FL adds an interesting element to the I-10 route. Looking at the Supercharger rollout plan, it looks like the next one over would be Gulfport or Biloxi, but both of those are stretching the legs of a 60 (193 and 181 miles, respectively).

So you think Tesla will aim for Pascagoula (158) or Gautier (161) instead? Then from there, Baton Rouge is about 164 miles. The one slightly east of Beaumont, TX would get you within range of Columbus.

Then it's time for a FL vacay.

I am all for the I-10 route, but even though the South will never have the same sort of Winter conditions that the Northern States have, a 60 cannot easily (consistently) travel 193 miles between Superchargers.
Heck in Texas there is only 110 Miles from Corsicana to Huntsville.

I am all for the I-10 route, but even though the South will never have the same sort of Winter conditions that the Northern States have, a 60 cannot easily (consistently) travel 193 miles between Superchargers.
Heck in Texas there is only 110 Miles from Corsicana to Huntsville.

In flat country, a good guideline that Tesla seems to be using is 133 miles typical distance. This lets an 85 do very fast charges in normal weather and makes those 80+ mph runs doable without much more than an 80% charge. It also makes planning in a 60 reasonable. In the mountains, this has to be reduced by 6 miles per 1,000 feet elevation difference between the stations to account for margin needed in the uphill direction to overcome potential energy changes. Of course, it's hard to find 100's of feet difference on I-10 along the Gulf Coast, so the elevation correction should not be an issue there.

I'd recommend looking for distances between Superchargers that are in the 100 to 140 mile range. On the I-70 route the initial map showed greater distances, but when Tesla actually started putting in sites, they were much closer to the 133 mile guideline.

Happy hunting!

Freightlining with the MS85:

Pulling 1100 pounds (low-profile trailer plus load) on the SpC Highway for 2650 miles in summer conditions works reliably if you charge 100 miles over. Know the exit number of the next SpC so you can keep track of your '100 miles over' which diminishes as you approach. Rain is not a problem as I naturally drove extra slow during heavy rain. Headwinds in SD/MN were a real threat (visible by observing the many wind turbines) and as luck would have it I hit them coming in from 2 o'clock going each way! But solved by driving slower, 55 or even 50, which is easy to do safely on low traffic Interstates. Worst margin was arriving at Mitchell with 18 miles left.

Beware: If you wander off the SpC Highway, say to detour the joys of Chicago traffic :crying:, you better have backups figured out. Detouring through Kankakee, IL on the Mishawaka, IN > Aurora, IL leg came to 222 miles and a FAIL at Joliet, IL where I was down to 7 miles and needed 30 miles more. The ChargePoint on Larkin Ave saved the day by adding ~30 miles at the rate of 20 mph. Arrived at Aurora SpC with 6 miles remaining. Since the Aurora, IL SpC (at the Amtrack Station) is unique in being heavily impacted by a large city my (mostly US30) route through Joliet, Plainfield and Aurora was all done on surface streets which would allow easy bailing out for low-level charging. Turns out charging to FULL (260 miles) instead of 250 at Mishawaka, IN would not have avoided the ChargePoint session.

I hope this might encourage an MS to pull a lightweight Teardrop Camper, for example, along the Electric Highway. Results should be similar.
--

Last edited:
My charge port door is frequently unresponsive to the HPWC wand button, so I can easily take 30 seconds to plug in.
Are you hitting it really close to the charge port door? I was having trouble with mine, until I realized that it worked better if I hit it as soon as I picked up the wand and before I dragged it over to the back of the car. Half way across the room: good. Right next to it: not so much.

Are you hitting it really close to the charge port door? I was having trouble with mine, until I realized that it worked better if I hit it as soon as I picked up the wand and before I dragged it over to the back of the car. Half way across the room: good. Right next to it: not so much.

Or hold the wand over the hatchback window as you push the button. I have found that very reliable.

The Canadians seem to think the Drummondville Sign In Page is a mistake or a hoax, but we could all be surprised...

People have been checking permit applications weekly with the City of Drummondville. As of two weeks ago, nothing resembling Superchargers has shown up and there are no signs of construction in any of the rumored SpC locations.

There are reports that the permitting process with the provincial power company, Hydro-Quebec, is in course, but will take months.

Sounds like Gilroy is updating from 6 stalls to 10. Not sure if this was mentioned before.

10492518_10152554761738938_5198309053249942787_n.jpg

People have been checking permit applications weekly with the City of Drummondville. As of two weeks ago, nothing resembling Superchargers has shown up and there are no signs of construction in any of the rumored SpC locations.

There are reports that the permitting process with the provincial power company, Hydro-Quebec, is in course, but will take months.

We have more concrete info! Details are available http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Superchargers?p=685431&viewfull=1#post685431