Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the Drummondville site, each pedestal has its own night light. Is this new? Effingham is an example of a recently opened site which doesn't have this feature.

kEQKF6B.jpg

p07bOhZ.jpg

I haven't been tracking the world-wide numbers, but have for the U.S. Tesla had 144 (counting the double sites only once) at the end of 2014, and projected 291 at the end of 2015, an increase of 147 needing them to complete an average of 12.25/month. They had done 25 by the end of February so were on track, but fell well short in March (8 on the map, plus Effingham and Riviera Beach which weren't, and the latter still isn't). So far this month they're well off the pace they need, and this is beginning to look like both 2013 and 2014 with early burst and then a quick tapering off. Let's hope they will finally realize that they need to stop over-promising and under-delivering, and meet their own forecasts, or at least not fall 33% or so short as they did last year in the U.S.

Then 36 in 2015 Q1 is right on track !!

Then 36 in 2015 Q1 is right on track !!
Except that they didn't achieve that. As stated, they officially opened just 33, plus two more that were usable but not listed or mapped. I only count the latter, to match up with the dots on the map. For the same reason, I don't double count the dual sites.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that we are seeing a Q2 slow down, but the number of openings should pick up in the summer and second half of the year. <snip rest>
You'd think it would, but that wasn't the case last year or the year before, except when they were trying to finish 'Elon's Wild Ride'. We can certainly hope, but I'm inclined to judge them on results rather than their forecasts or promises, which have repeatedly proven optimistic if not downright fanciful.

Well, It may be time to put up a couple extra charging stations at Newark, Delaware. I swing by from time to time after I have drop my wife/daughter off for shopping at the nearby mall to check things out/sell teslas:wink:. Today about 1:30 pm ALL four stalls full and 2 cars waiting. I realize this is a travel weekend and that most times there is always at least one empty stall but as we get more teslas in the mid Atlantic and Northeast Newark will need to be expanded.

Well, It may be time to put up a couple extra charging stations at Newark, Delaware. I swing by from time to time after I have drop my wife/daughter off for shopping at the nearby mall to check things out/sell teslas:wink:. Today about 1:30 pm ALL four stalls full and 2 cars waiting. I realize this is a travel weekend and that most times there is always at least one empty stall but as we get more teslas in the mid Atlantic and Northeast Newark will need to be expanded.

4 stalls on the east side (northbound) would be good. I was there last night at about 9:15. One car charging when I arrived. I charged about 15 minutes, and when I left the same car was still there, 3 slots free.

As a percentage of time, the number of minutes in a month where someone is waiting is still likely relatively low. Engineering for peak is expensive.

Engineering for peak is expensive.

indeed, ask anyone who bought a Tesla :smile: peak performance, range, safety

fwiw, it is my understanding that at least some new SuperChargers are being built with oversize plumbing underground, making them more easily expandable. Hardware can be added at both the car and Charger ends without the need to trench, repave etc.

Tesla has made a modest update to the "Coming Soon" sites on the supercharger page. Here are the changes I notice:

Additions: Pendleton OR, Baker City OR, Meridian / Boise ID, Tucumcari NM, Oklahoma City OK, Houston TX, Cincinnati OH, Ann Arbor MI, Grand Rapids MI, Ocean Township / Eatontown NJ, Salisbury MA
Subtractions: Napa CA, Westminster / Orange CA, Trinidad CO, Slidell LA, Columbia SC, Louisville KY, Erie PA

There is already permit and/or construction activity at Pendleton OR, Tucumcari NM, and Oklahoma City OK so those additions are pretty obvious. The removal of Trinidad CO is odd since there has been permit activity there. Erie PA being dropped from Coming Soon is pretty disappointing as it is a key link. On edit: as has been pointed out on other threads, the Massachusetts site appears to be Salisbury, not the Dedham site soon to be under construction.

Last edited:
So looks like another spike is due. Meaning a 'silver' spike in Missouri, which when built, will be the second route cross country using only SC's. (from LA or SF to east coast). Or it may be deemed 'gold' since it will be the quickest.

And, if Wyoming ever wakes up, we may have a tie for the 'quickest' as I am not sure whether Seattle to east coast may be quicker.

Sounds like a challenge will ensue. Maybe west coast 'oceanside' town to east coast 'oceanside' town. Example: San Francisco or Los Angeles to Ocean City, Md. (Seattle is not on the Ocean)

Jeez, another Supercharger in New Jersey. That's original. Tesla needs to get cracking in PA & VA, among other East coast spots.

What's really irritating is that it's not just in New Jersey; it's within spitting distance of both Edison and Hamilton. And the new ones on the Turnpike.

Really would like to see one in AC, please...

Jeez, another Supercharger in New Jersey. That's original. Tesla needs to get cracking in PA & VA, among other East coast spots.

What's really irritating is that it's not just in New Jersey; it's within spitting distance of both Edison and Hamilton. And the new ones on the Turnpike.

Really would like to see one in AC, please...

If Tesla installs a Supercharger in AC, do we have to pump it full of quarters? :tongue:

Eatontown may be "close" -- "as the crow flies" but it's on an entirely different route than the NJTP. A SC at Eatontown allows people heading south to A/C to get a full charge, and do a round-trip to A/C and back to the SC without worrying about local destination charging at A/C. It's only 80 miles from Eatontown to A/C, so 160 miles are easily doable in even a 60kwh battery. It opens up access to the entire Jersey shore, something that Edison and Hamilton Marketplace can not easily do. Just because it's "in new jersey" doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. There's a lot of shore traffic in the summer months down the GSP. Edison is a 212 mile round trip to/from A/C. That doesn't leave much room for weather and local driving at A/C if you can't find local charging. I think Eatontown makes a lot of sense to open up 'going down the shore.' (I've got a Camaro now).

Last edited:
Eatontown may be "close" -- "as the crow flies" but it's on an entirely different route than the NJTP. A SC at Eatontown allows people heading south to A/C to get a full charge, and do a round-trip to A/C and back to the SC without worrying about local destination charging at A/C. It's only 80 miles from Eatontown to A/C, so 160 miles are easily doable in even a 60kwh battery. It opens up access to the entire Jersey shore, something that Edison and Hamilton Marketplace can not easily do. Just because it's "in new jersey" doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. There's a lot of shore traffic in the summer months down the GSP. Edison is a 212 mile round trip to/from A/C. That doesn't leave much room for weather and local driving at A/C if you can't find local charging. I think Eatontown makes a lot of sense to open up 'going down the shore.' (I've got a Camaro now).

These are all good points, though I would note that a SpC in Eatontown does all of what you say for people going to the shore *from up north.* It doesn't do any good for those of us idiots who come up from the south (or over from Philly).

And I'm not really criticizing having a SpC for Eatontown--I'm just perplexed about why there are three other SpCs serving that one little chunk of NJ (which is basically the same spot on the TPK), when those of us coming from the south are still stuck with the OG Delaware unit as our only option.

A SpC for AC proper still appears to be on the 2015 map, though it sure would be nice if they got it up and running before beach season. I really, really don't like having to charge at the Wave garage.