Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The greater the tilt the more the panels clean themselves.

Some people don't clean their panels at all. Apparently others install them at a flatter angle and have more issues.

iRobot would be smart to make a solar array cleaning bot.

Hope I have not committed the cardinal sin of mentioning an idea that is discussed later in the thread, but I liked it a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Back of the napkin - you'd need a 20x20 (400 piece 300watt) array in order to get one tesla supercharged. Even then, you'd need at LEAST 2 more panels to cover losses converting from DC, to AC, then back to the car's DC traction pack ... and even then, because pv optimal power only happens for less than ½ hour during the sun's highest azimuth - so you'll need to pile on a few more panels to compensate for that. I'll say one thing ... you built a setup like that big enough for a dozen Teslas .... you'll have a nice / shady parking lot canopy with all that overhead solar.
;)

You're quite right it is impractical with today's tech. Add the visual of the panels to the marketing budget? Sure. I would.

Back of the napkin - you'd need a 20x20 (400 piece 300watt) array in order to get one tesla supercharged. Even then, you'd need at LEAST 2 more panels to cover losses converting from DC, to AC, then back to the car's DC traction pack ... and even then, because pv optimal power only happens for less than ½ hour during the sun's highest azimuth - so you'll need to pile on a few more panels to compensate for that. I'll say one thing ... you built a setup like that big enough for a dozen Teslas .... you'll have a nice / shady parking lot canopy with all that overhead solar.
;) M

Actually, it would make sense to do batteries first, then solar. You then don't need enough solar panels to take the peak load. Then a single 85 kWh Supercharge is about 75 panels. That's about 15 ft * 75 ft. That would be about the size of most current large U.S. Superchargers. Given 10 Supercharges a day at the average of 35 kWh per charge, you need about 300 panels given 260 watts per panel and 4.5 hours of solar a day. 300 panels is about 25 ft * 180 ft. Big, but not out the question for a lot of parking lots.

Yes. Their best quarter for US superchargers was 4Q14.

8/14: 5
9/14: 6
10/14: 8
11/14: 11
12/14: 12

8/15: 5
9/15: 8
10/15 (so far): 0

(data from supercharge.info change list)

There were 11 new supercharger locations opened in the US in October, which is ahead of last year's pace! But with only 12 under construction and 9 in permitting, it seems very unlikely that we'll equal last year's November and December numbers. Unless there are a bunch we don't know about.

There were 11 new supercharger locations opened in the US in October, which is ahead of last year's pace! But with only 12 under construction and 9 in permitting, it seems very unlikely that we'll equal last year's November and December numbers. Unless there are a bunch we don't know about.

You never know... Beatty, NV just showed up as "Under Construction:" Supercharger - Beatty, NV - Page 2

As the fill in locations go to more remote areas, the TMC scouts have a little more trouble and delay spotting the sites. Is anyone looking in Victoria, TX?

With 3 superchargers going live this week in the US that only leaves 8 permits remaining with 5 of those in California and the other 3 on the east coast. 1 new permit in the last month. Lets hope we see some new permits soon or the supercharger expansion rate in North America is going to take a significant dip. And Canada only has 1 permit.

Lets hope so, but regardless the over all rate of supercharger expansion is just amazing when you look back to 2012.

TMC Scouts are beating the bushes. Beatty, NV and Victoria, TX already took the count up to 13 under construction, and 10 in permitting!

See Supercharge.Info. Thanks BlueShift for maintaining such a great site!

Beatty, NV and Victoria, TX already took the count up to 13 under construction, and 10 in permitting!

Yes, and it seems reasonable to imagine that those Minnesota crews went somewhere. Also those that built the new Truckee and Gardnerville sites.

But it's still hard to see more than another sixteen sites opening in the US for the rest of the year, and it will take twenty to equal last year. Of the sites under construction, Napa is highly dubious for completion this year, and I have no confidence that Fremont #2 will open before the building is finished. It also seems that construction in the rest of the world has slowed to a crawl. Nothing like last year.

Nevertheless, great progress overall! It's wonderful to see the small gaps on the long routes filled in. And for those of us in California and Germany, we are very lucky that Tesla is experimenting with a higher density approach to superchargers in our areas.

Yes, and it seems reasonable to imagine that those Minnesota crews went somewhere. Also those that built the new Truckee and Gardnerville sites.

But it's still hard to see more than another sixteen sites opening in the US for the rest of the year, and it will take twenty to equal last year. Of the sites under construction, Napa is highly dubious for completion this year, and I have no confidence that Fremont #2 will open before the building is finished. It also seems that construction in the rest of the world has slowed to a crawl. Nothing like last year.

Nevertheless, great progress overall! It's wonderful to see the small gaps on the long routes filled in. And for those of us in California and Germany, we are very lucky that Tesla is experimenting with a higher density approach to superchargers in our areas.

I don't know about you, but I see Canada as part of the interesting playing field for driving my Tesla, and tend to look at the North American count...

According to Supercharge.Info, there were 50 North American Superchargers at the end of 2013, 152 at the end of 2014, and 246 as of yesterday, Oct 31. That means that 102 North American Superchargers opened in 2014, and 94 have opened in the first 10 months of 2015. Because it will only take 8 more Supercharger openings this year to equal 2014, it seems likely that North American Openings in 2015 will equal or exceed 2014.

I don't know about you, but I see Canada as part of the interesting playing field for driving my Tesla, and tend to look at the North American count...

According to Supercharge.Info, there were 50 North American Superchargers at the end of 2013, 152 at the end of 2014, and 246 as of yesterday, Oct 31. That means that 102 North American Superchargers opened in 2014, and 94 have opened in the first 10 months of 2015. Because it will only take 8 more Supercharger openings this year to equal 2014, it seems likely that North American Openings in 2015 will equal or exceed 2014.
They're on track to commission about 100 in the U.S. this year (96 last year), but they forecast 145 at the start of the year so it's nothing to be proud of. In both 2013 and 2014 they commissioned less than 70% of the total forecast for the U.S., and they're likely to be in that same range this year, finishing up somewhere around 250. I expect weather delays will slow construction down until spring, even assuming they've finally realized they shouldn't try to build northern SCs in winter, and instead concentrate on those south of say the 36th parallel.

The Binghamton, NY Supercharger is either open, or very close to opening. Pictures below, courtesy of user maybesomeday:

Binghamton SC1.jpeg

Photo Taken November 1, 2015

Binghamton SC2.jpeg

The Spot Restaurant visible in the background

BinghamtonSC3.jpeg

Supercharger lit up.

Binghamton, NY Supercharger

They're on track to commission about 100 in the U.S. this year (96 last year), but they forecast 145 at the start of the year so it's nothing to be proud of. In both 2013 and 2014 they commissioned less than 70% of the total forecast for the U.S., and they're likely to be in that same range this year, finishing up somewhere around 250.
The way I look at it is that if they forecast 100, they'd probably end up commissioning 70. Setting ambitious goals for something no one has attempted before and not quite making them is not a failure--especially when there are unpredictable things such as bureaucracy, site negotiation, and weather which can slow things down and can't really be planned for.

The way I look at it is that if they forecast 100, they'd probably end up commissioning 70. Setting ambitious goals for something no one has attempted before and not quite making them is not a failure--especially when there are unpredictable things such as bureaucracy, site negotiation, and weather which can slow things down and can't really be planned for.
The way I look at it, it's perfectly fine to set ambitious internal goals for yourself, but when you have repeatedly shown that 'your eyes are too big for your stomach', it's long past time to revise your public forecasts to better reflect reality, lest you ruin your credibility and anything you say is put at a discount (as any claim Tesla now makes re timelines is). Promising high goals which are unlikely to be achieved may have made sense early on, but it's time for Tesla to start acting like a mature company instead of a start-up; they've been around for 12 years and have been building SCs for over 3, FCS. Delays for the reasons you state are inevitable and should be part of planning; it's not as if they can't be anticipated generally, even if you can't anticipate them for a particular site. So, IMO it's high time for Tesla to set their internal goals, and then set their public goals at say 60% of the internal ones. That way, they'll be praised for equaling or exceeding their goals, instead of repeatedly earning a C- or a D+. Or as I put it in one of my old sigs on another forum, "When nurturing a new technology, under-promise and over-deliver, not the opposite."

Update on "Coming Soon" superchargers

Tesla last updated the "Coming Soon" pins on the North American supercharger map two months ago. Here's the status of those locations as determined by TMC scouts. 22 of the 31 stations which were listed as "Coming Soon" 2 months ago are now online, and all the others have been found and are in process. 14 new stations came online in the last month, with about 8 more expected in November.

LocationSite Known?Status
Burbank, CAyesawaiting transformer installation
Dublin, CA
yesoperational
Fresno, CAyesin permitting
Mammoth Lakes, CAyesin permitting
Napa, CAyesunder construction
Beatty, NVyesunder construction
Gardnerville, NV
yesoperational
Sandy, OR
yesoperational
Kennewick, WA
yesoperational
Twin Falls, ID
yesoperational
Gillette, WY
yesoperational
Price, UT
yesoperational
Albuquerque, NM
yesoperational
Las Vegas, NM
yesoperational
Amarillo, TXyesawaiting power on / testing
Denton, TX
yesoperational
Columbia, MO
yesoperational
Baxter, MN
yesoperational
Hinckley, MNyesoperational
Sheboygan, WIyesoperational
Cadillac, MIyesoperational
Binghamton, NYyes
operational
South Burlington, VT
yesoperational
Seabrook, NH
yesoperational
Tinton Falls, NJ
yesoperational
Strasburg, VAyesoperational
Norfolk, VA
yesoperational
Asheville, NCyesunder construction
Greenville, SCyesawaiting power on / testing
Tallahassee, FL
yesoperational
Plantation, FLyesawaiting transformer
Following are additional sites not on the Coming Soon list:
Buttonwillow, CAyesin permitting
Crescent City, CAyesin permitting
Eureka, CAyesin permitting?
Fremont (Kato Road), CAyesunder construction
Placerville, CAyesunknown
Santa Barbara, CAyesin permitting
South Lake Tahoe, CAnoin site agreement negotiations
Temecula, CAnounknown
Truckee (Brockway Road), CA
yes
operational
Ukiah, CAyesin permitting
Colorado Springs, COyesin permitting
Kingsland, GAyesunder construction
Bowling Green, KYnoin permitting
Louisville, KYnoin permitting
Slidell, LAyesin permitting?
Tonopah, NVyesin site agreement negotiations
Catoosa, OKyessite agreement completed
South Whitehall (Allentown), PAyesin permitting
Tannersville, PAyesin permitting
Victoria, TXyesunknown
Wytheville, VAnoin permitting
Kelowna, BCyesunder construction
Port Hope, ONnoin permitting
Rivière-du-Loup, QCyesin permitting

Last edited:
250 North American Superchargers!!!

With the opening of Denton, TX; Sandy, OR; and South Burlington, VT Superchargers today, the total count of Supercharger Sites in North America hits 250! The worldwide count hit 550 at the same time. Nice milestones as we approach the 3rd anniversary of Superchargers on November 19!

With the opening of Denton, TX; Sandy, OR; and South Burlington, VT Superchargers today, the total count of Supercharger Sites in North America hits 250! The worldwide count hit 550 at the same time. Nice milestones as we approach the 3rd anniversary of Superchargers on November 19!

Why do you say November 19 is the anniversary? The first six Superchargers were already operational and officially announced on September 29th 2012.

Why do you say November 19 is the anniversary? The first six Superchargers were already operational and officially announced on September 29th 2012.

I took a look at that video. The announcement happened on September 24, 2012. I got the Nov 19, 2012 date from Supercharge.Info. When were the first California Superchargers publicly available? Was it right after 11/24/2012 or sometime later.

250 North America Supercharger Sites and 550 worldwide in about 3 years is pretty amazing.

At $150k per Supercharger Site, that is a capital investment of $37.5m in North America and $82.5m worldwide. Those are big numbers, but at $100k per Model S, that is the equivalent of 375 and 825 cars; in perspective, not such a big percentage.

Cotton, is $150K for an entire site a reasonable number, regardless of whether it's a 4-banger or a 20-charger location? I know they don't have to pay for the real estate, but it still seems quite a low amount.