Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a nice sized group of North Texas Teslas (Model S), and ALL Texans have been able to travel North since March of 2015.
And South since Spring of 2014, but those are currently the two choices North Texans have.
Grey dots (future) don't cut it, get some Red dots on the board.
(Guess I should be glad I don't live in Memphis or Arkansas.)

North Texans still cannot travel directly East or West using Superchargers, because they do not currently exist.
DFW to ATL on I-20 seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time to get any viable traction as far as "built" Supercharger stations.

+1. Just looking for a place to post a quick rant about the Under-Deliver performance on the Supercharger Network vis-a-vis leaving Texas. When I took possession of my S in December 2012, there was an expectation that the build-out by the end of 2014 would let me get to Georgia and the Atlantic coast via I-20. Then they were scheduled to be done by the end of 2015. Now it appears that there is zero percent chance that they will be ready for my next road-trip out that way this summer.

This is not what was promised 2012, and it is getting tiresome.

As far as I can see, the build-out has ground to a complete halt. Supercharge.info shows essentially no construction other than two delayed projects in California. Other than general statements I see here about "cash is king," has Tesla explained this unexpected deceleration anywhere?

It should not be that hard to build the essential connections east-west. Back-filling the dense markets should not overshadow what was stated and relied upon.

Grumble over. Back to occasionally lurking now.

Andy

Here is something on-topic:

Rockslide closes I-70 in Glenwood Canyon | 9news.com — One report said that one of the rocks was half the size of a semi and landed on a semi trailer!

The closure of I-70 east of Glenwood Canyon is very serious for I-70 traffic across Colorado. The choices for going around are very limited with "interesting" charging choices. See I70 Closure! for some discussion.

I-70 won't open for another 24 hours, at the earliest. Charging to 100% at Silverthorne likely won't get you around the blockage and on to Glenwood Springs without an L2 charge somewhere in between: it's 247 road miles between the two following the detour CDOT has specified; it's winter, and there are significant elevation changes.

+1. Just looking for a place to post a quick rant about the Under-Deliver performance on the Supercharger Network vis-a-vis leaving Texas. When I took possession of my S in December 2012, there was an expectation that the build-out by the end of 2014 would let me get to Georgia and the Atlantic coast via I-20. Then they were scheduled to be done by the end of 2015. Now it appears that there is zero percent chance that they will be ready for my next road-trip out that way this summer.

I got mine a couple of months after you did. However, I looked at it like I look at any hi-tech purchase: If it doesn't come with the product when you purchase it, don't expect to have it. If it does come that's great, but if it doesn't, don't be disappointed.

I-70 won't open for another 24 hours, at the earliest. Charging to 100% at Silverthorne likely won't get you around the blockage and on to Glenwood Springs without an L2 charge somewhere in between: it's 247 road miles between the two following the detour CDOT has specified; it's winter, and there are significant elevation changes.
Sure be nice to have a couple of SC's in Wyoming along I-80. While I enjoy the I-70 route, it's a real choke point at Glenwood Springs.

I'm hoping - not very confident, more like dreaming - that Tesla have their new, thin, liquid cooled SC cables ready to go - and they plan to announce it at the Model 3 launch event. All of the current delays are simply so that they can surprise everyone, and we will see a couple of dozen SC locations go active that day, including the new 20-bay station at Fremont.

I'm hoping - not very confident, more like dreaming - that Tesla have their new, thin, liquid cooled SC cables ready to go - and they plan to announce it at the Model 3 launch event.

I like the way you think. A question for those who understand this stuff - would the liquid cooled SC cables be able to withstand longer lengths? I'm thinking with regard to charging a Model X with a trailer.

Here is something on-topic:

Rockslide closes I-70 in Glenwood Canyon | 9news.com — One report said that one of the rocks was half the size of a semi and landed on a semi trailer!

The closure of I-70 east of Glenwood Canyon is very serious for I-70 traffic across Colorado. The choices for going around are very limited with "interesting" charging choices. See I70 Closure! for some discussion.

Until Tesla not only fills out the Supercharger network to include most major interstates, but also fills out most secondary highways, will we have a robust network of fast charging with the depth to withstand road closures, charging station failures, etc.
It would be helpful to have a Supercharger station in Salida or Poncha Springs as a backup to Glenwood Canyon (third rockslide closure in recent years) and to open up the San Luis Valley. But with large blank spots on major routes in other areas of the country it figures to be low priority for now.

I like the way you think. A question for those who understand this stuff - would the liquid cooled SC cables be able to withstand longer lengths? I'm thinking with regard to charging a Model X with a trailer.

I can't remember what Elon said, but I think it was a faster charge rate without overheating? But still, the Model X with a trailer is going to be an issue - but not for a lot of people. I think having a different physical SC layout (e.g. pull-through space) would be preferable to longer cables (which may affect the majority of drivers negatively)

It would be helpful to have a Supercharger station in Salida or Poncha Springs as a backup to Glenwood Canyon (third rockslide closure in recent years) and to open up the San Luis Valley. But with large blank spots on major routes in other areas of the country it figures to be low priority for now.

Good thought.

Superchargers in Salida and Montrose would provide a backup route around Glenwood Canyon as well as opening up a lot of Southern Colorado. While a little long between Montrose to Farmington at 150 miles, Grand Junction-Montrose-Farmington is another nice route that would be created.

I believe that the lion's share of the initial Supercharger locations will be built around the time that the Model 3 is rolling off the assembly lines in moderate numbers, so about 24-30 months from now. There might be a couple of problematic areas, but by and large Tesla's original targeted locations will be up, running and completed.

I have long thought that once this initial build out is complete, that Tesla will take stock and begin to install Supercharger locations along secondary highways throughout the United States. Since we are assuming that the Model 3 will have SC capabilities, I would think that the popularity of the Model 3 will force Tesla to (1) expand popular locations; (2) open new locations in urban areas, and (3) fill in secondary highways like US50, US6, US93 through the Great Basin, and like US50 through Colorado, not to mention US160 through southern Colorado and through Cottonwood's hometown! (Cue C.W. McCall)

Prospective buyers of the Model 3 will have a much larger geographic base. Whereas a tiny number of Model S/X owners might live in rural or semi-rural areas, there will be proportionately more individuals who can afford the Model 3 in towns that are off the interstate corridors, and would require Supercharging to reach their own destinations. Cash flow from the Model 3 will be able to accommodate this additional build out.

At least I hope so!

Good thought.

Superchargers in Salida and Montrose would provide a backup route around Glenwood Canyon as well as opening up a lot of Southern Colorado. While a little long between Montrose to Farmington at 150 miles, Grand Junction-Montrose-Farmington is another nice route that would be created.
While I know that Montrose would be very happy to have a Supercharger station (I know the city guy who was behind the L2 station at city hall) I wonder if the GJ to US 50, Monarch Pass, route might not be better served by a Supercharger station in Gunnison. And the GJ to Farmington route might be better served by a Supercharger station in Ridgway or Ouray.

But Salida would have the most utility if only one location was funded on the US 50 corridor. For now, a GJ to Farmington trip would be fairly easy with an L2 stop in Ouray (at the Hot Springs Pool), which has the advantage of being highly scenic, with lots of stores and restaurants.

There are a few secondary routes that already have Supercharger stations. The one that is of greatest importance to me is Price UT on US 6. That one makes a huge difference in traveling from I-70 to Salt Lake City. Until this latest rockslide I considered Salida fairly low priority but I am changing my opinion on that and may write Tesla about it.

Last edited:
As of this morning, there are only eleven "opening soon Supercharger locations on the Tesla Supercharger map with about half in rural areas and half near high population areas. Some obvious near-term locations are missing, such as Napa, which should be opening any day. Their map guy/gal must be busy doing something else!
Tesla's website (other than the ordering pages) is always way behind or unreachable. It's somewhere down in the four digits list of top things to do.

I like the way *you* think! :) If I recall correctly, the main justification for the liquid cooled cables was more flexible cables (thus easier maneuverability), with a side benefit of enabling higher charging rates in the future. My understanding is that current packs are not really capable of much more than 120kW anyway, but larger packs might be able to handle higher rates. Either way, more flexible cables could also enable longer cables, which could potentially be useful for Model X's with trailers.

I like the way *you* think! :) If I recall correctly, the main justification for the liquid cooled cables was more flexible cables (thus easier maneuverability), with a side benefit of enabling higher charging rates in the future. My understanding is that current packs are not really capable of much more than 120kW anyway, but larger packs might be able to handle higher rates. Either way, more flexible cables could also enable longer cables, which could potentially be useful for Model X's with trailers.

Before you go too far down this path, the answer is to the question above is no. Thinner cables have even higher loss, that's why there is liquid cooling. You'd want to make them as short as possible.

Tesla could easily make the existing cable twice as long. If they wanted to pay for the power loss and the additional copper.

Here in New Mexico, we urgently need Tesla to finish the buildout of the SC network in the state. Tesla's map shows a bunch more charger sites going in in 2016:

nm-sc-map.jpg

These, plus the ones over near Tucson, will enable driving from Colorado all the way to Tuscon, or LA/AZ routes along I-10 all the way thru to Texas and beyond. Right now, you can't drive from, say, Santa Fe to Las Cruces or Tucson, no way, unless you wanna camp out at a KOA for a day while slowly charging. Crazy.

I've been looking high and low for building permits in various suspect cities like Truth or Consequences, NM, but haven't found anything. Anyone else looking? Found any documents anywhere?