Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Superhcarge.info, there have already been 5 opened this year - am I misreading that? (Obviously, construction began well into 2016).

I agree winter is more difficult to work in, but we've still got many locations in the south (TX (4), FL (1), carolinas (2) etc) under permitting or construction.

Per Superhcarge.info, there have already been 5 opened this year - am I misreading that? (Obviously, construction began well into 2016).

I agree winter is more difficult to work in, but we've still got many locations in the south (TX (4), FL (1), carolinas (2) etc) under permitting or construction.

The stations in Las Vegas (II) NV, Ozona TX, and Naples FL are basically ready to have the power turned on, but the pace will be quite slow after that. I put the following graph together showing the number of sites with construction or permit status at supecharge.info overlayed with the actual number of sites opened each month. Note the strong correlation between the number of sites under construction and the number of openings. Note also the lag time (like fall 2014, spring 2015, spring 2016) between a rising number of sites listed as construction at supercharge.info and a rising number of openings. So basically, activity at supercharge.info has been a good predictor of actual new sites.
upload_2017-1-11_12-48-16.png
upload_2017-1-11_12-48-16.png

Some new pricing hints with new structure:

To put the affordability of Supercharging into perspective, customers will pay about $15 for a road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles, about $120 from Los Angeles to New York, about €60 from Paris to Rome, and about ¥400 from Beijing to Shanghai.

Building the Supercharger Network for the Future

This page has details on prices.

Supercharging

Hmm. $0.18 per minute here in DE on the high side, $0.09 on the low.

At the switchover, it's ~70% more expensive than my power at home on the high side, or ~20% cheaper on the low side.

The DCFC station right outside work (Chargepoint) is $.29/kWh, far more than the SpC unless you're somehow caught at very low power.

The other network around here is EVGo. They have two plans that have $0.20/minute fees, or a plan for $0.10 per minute if you pay a $15 monthly fee.

Looks pretty sensible to me. Much cheaper than the competing DCFC, while being both more available and much faster. Slightly more expensive than charging at home, but not excessively so. Still less than half a "comparable" ICE car even with our historically low gas prices.

I spent some time looking through pricing for the different states, and my feeling is that they're exceedingly fair, bordering on generous. I expected upwards of $0.25/kWh as a US average, and up to $0.35/kWh in California. As it sits, the California Supercharging rate ($0.20/kWh) is cheaper than my intraday peak rate (summer: $0.449/kWh) or my part-peak shoulder rate ($0.246/kWh). I think Tesla has worked really hard to make sure those rates don't scare anyone off.

I spent some time looking through pricing for the different states, and my feeling is that they're exceedingly fair, bordering on generous. I expected upwards of $0.25/kWh as a US average, and up to $0.35/kWh in California. As it sits, the California Supercharging rate ($0.20/kWh) is cheaper than my intraday peak rate (summer: $0.449/kWh) or my part-peak shoulder rate ($0.246/kWh). I think Tesla has worked really hard to make sure those rates don't scare anyone off.
I agree, 20 cents per kw is really very fair. That's $15 from LA to San Francisco and that is if you have not charged at home already!

I think they are exaggerating the efficiency. $15 at $0.20/KWh is 75KWh. LA to SF is about 400 miles (380 via I-5, 420 via US 101). That's 5.3 Mi/KWh.

They may be allowing for the fact that not all of the trip will be on supercharger power. The first few hundred miles/km, for example, will be on electricity sourced from home, as well as any charging done overnight at destination chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and dhanson865

I agree with ohmman's pricing comments.

Where are the prices for the Canadian provinces? Does Tesla not expect US residents to ever drive there? Tesla's Dutch site has prices for all European countries, allowing plans to be made for trips beyond the Netherlands borders.

GSP

I confess that I am disappointed with this restriction:

"Unused credits do not roll over to the next year."

Given human nature, I suspect most will thus try to use their credits before they run out every year. In today's world, IMO Tesla should encourage consumers to save energy --rather than waste it and occupy SuperChargers unnecessarily.

If your Tesla was ordered by January 15, 2017, it comes with free Supercharger access for the life of the car.
Okay? Clear? The life of the car.
Not "for as long as you own" or "as long as it is your car" or any variations of "your" (ownership of a) car... THE car. Can we put that to bed now? Maybe in a flower bed with the horse sugar?

Okay? Clear? The life of the car.
Not "for as long as you own" or "as long as it is your car" or any variations of "your" (ownership of a) car... THE car. Can we put that to bed now? Maybe in a flower bed with the horse sugar?
Hey, I backed down as soon as @JonMc tweeted it. And I admitted I was wrong! :p

Hey, I backed down as soon as @JonMc tweeted it. And I admitted I was wrong! :p
Very true and I appreciated it. May your example be followed... But my Classic S85 and I want to bury this meme under the basement and salt the bones. And fill the basement with water and sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads.

I confess that I am disappointed with this restriction:

"Unused credits do not roll over to the next year."

Given human nature, I suspect most will thus try to use their credits before they run out every year. In today's world, IMO Tesla should encourage consumers to save energy --rather than waste it and occupy SuperChargers unnecessarily.

At least that is based on delivery date/date of title transfer so it'll be randomized throughout the year. It won't be focused solely on the Dec/Jan holiday/New year cycle.

On top of that the vast majority won't bother to game it, they'll either use more than 400 so it won't matter or they'll be under 400 and not bother because they don't need it for trips.

Sure there will be those that charge up to use it. But they will be the minority vs that vast sea of supercharging Teslas.