Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question - Some news sites are saying that Musk wants 10,000 Supercharger locations by the end of next year. Did Musk ever give a number for number of charging locations to be added? For some reason I feel this is just in-accurate reporting.
Did they say Supercharger locations or Supercharger stalls? Because I could easily see them getting to 10,000 Supercharger stalls by the end of next year.

10,000 unique Supercharger locations would be essentially impossible.

/edit. Just looked on Supercharge.info. They will be at 10,000 Supercharger stalls by next month. Considerably sooner then next year. They are at 9,876 as of this post.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Did they say Supercharger locations or Supercharger stalls? Because I could easily see them getting to 10,000 Supercharger stalls by the end of next year.

/edit. Just looked on Supercharge.info. They will be at 10,000 Supercharger stalls by next month. Considerably sooner then next year. They are at 9,876 as of this post.

Elon Musk Promises 10K Tesla Supercharger Stations By 2019 End - The Quint

Tesla could finally meet its supercharger goal if early 2018 is any indication

I have found a few articles saying Supercharger stations which would locations.

I think this is just another example of bad reporting. I can just see it now, when Tesla fails to hit the supposed goal of 10,000 Supercharging locations by the end of 2019 then their will articles written how Tesla failed to achieve another goal. I also see some of the reporters are mis-reading the map and assuming that the points for destination charging are also Supercharging locations and not understanding the difference between the two.

Also as you pointed out, Tesla is close to achieving 10,000 SC stalls. Yet the articles are specifically looking at the recent map updates for locations in 2018, 2019.

This is exactly the type of un-truthful reporting that Musk was talking about.

• Funny
Elon Musk Promises 10K Tesla Supercharger Stations By 2019 End - The Quint

Tesla could finally meet its supercharger goal if early 2018 is any indication

I have found a few articles saying Supercharger stations which would locations.

I think this is just another example of bad reporting. I can just see it now, when Tesla fails to hit the supposed goal of 10,000 Supercharging locations by the end of 2019 then their will articles written how Tesla failed to achieve another goal. I also see some of the reporters are mis-reading the map and assuming that the points for destination charging are also Supercharging locations and not understanding the difference between the two.

Also as you pointed out, Tesla is close to achieving 10,000 SC stalls. Yet the articles are specifically looking at the recent map updates for locations in 2018, 2019.

This is exactly the type of un-truthful reporting that Musk was talking about.

Stalls would be less ambiguous but the term you don't like "stations" I'd call the same as stalls. The phrase "charging station" is more commonly used for a single plug not a location.

For example Plugshare for a random location says

404 US-321 Lenoir City, TN 37771
J-1772
2 stations

1 location - 2 stations - 4 parking spaces.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/190034.jpg

I don't see why the media should stop using "stations" when it's the common term.

Last edited:
I went through the full list of superchargers on the Find Us page looking for changes in the U.S. and Canada
(yes, my obsession is complete).
Crossing Canada from Quebec to Vancouver, about 3,000 miles or 4,800 km, would certainly be a valuable Supercharger experience.

Tesla Supercharger - Quebec - Vancouver 2.jpg

Reactions: XHabjab and Fiver
Provo, UT is definitely new. I believe Burns, OR is also new.
How very coincidentally relevant right now. I just had to do a round trip to Bend and back this past weekend on very short notice, so we were time crunched both ways. My friend who I was taking was kind of bummed it wasn't a Tesla trip, and we had to take the Civic. I said if you had said almost anywhere else but Bend, it could have been.

Tesla currently advertises 1229 locations and 9623 supercharging stalls.

Can anyone tell me what this means? Beulton, CA. Wheelchair-bound people in electric vans between 8 PM and 12 noon for up to 2 hours? I showed up in a Model X, and concluded I could not charge there. But.....does anyone know what all of this means?
This places is reserved for charging Tesla's except between 12PM and 12 noon were any car can park in this spots. Between 12PM and 8PM it has a max parking period of 2 hours.
That one lot is reserved for parking for wheelchair-bound people, so no other car can park in that spot.

My take on this is that a charging car is not to consider as parked, as it is using the equipment installed for exactly that.
But yes, I do agree that this should be made clearer then it is... The 2 hours limitation get an "Except for electric vehicles charging". This sign should also have been under the wheelchair sign.

This places is reserved for charging Tesla's except between 12PM and 12 noon were any car can park in this spots. Between 12PM and 8PM it has a max parking period of 2 hours.
That one lot is reserved for parking for wheelchair-bound people, so no other car can park in that spot.

My take on this is that a charging car is not to consider as parked, as it is using the equipment installed for exactly that.
But yes, I do agree that this should be made clearer then it is... The 2 hours limitation get an "Except for electric vehicles charging". This sign should also have been under the wheelchair sign.
But the ground says EV only.

So EV wheel chair only accessible between 8 and 12 with a 2 hour limit?

What a small demographic.

No, it does not. It says EV charging only.

(Tesla is the only EV that currently can charge on this charger)

Really? ….ok for semantics....it says EV charging only.

I don't know what kind of car you would charge except for an EV.....but.....to make everyone happy let me say "EV charging only".

So EV wheel chair only accessible between 8 and 12 with a 2 hour limit?

What a small demographic.

Is that a good question now?

Is that a good question now?
My replay showed that I had accounted for the message written on the ground - as long as you used the full text of that message.

But as you don't seems to understand my logic yet, I will explain in more detail:
Rule #1 is that this is reserved charging EV's (and by type of charger it will have to be Tesla's - for now).
But there is a few exceptions from this rule:
Exception 1: Between 12PM and 8PM any car can park at this spot - but a maximum of 2 hours.
Exception 1 has a sub-exception: This 2 hours limit does not apply to charging EV's (Tesla's)
Exception 2: Between 8PM and 12noon they may park as long as they will - until 12 noon.

But then there is one more exemption to the exception 1 and 2:
Exception 3: At this one spot "any car" may not park after all between 12PM and 12 noon, as it is reserved as handicap parking only as long as it is allowed to be used as a parking spot at all. But - as I interpret this - the rule #1 still apply.

My replay showed that I had accounted for the message written on the ground - as long as you used the full text of that message.

But as you don't seems to understand my logic yet, I will explain in more detail:
Rule #1 is that this is reserved charging EV's (and by type of charger it will have to be Tesla's - for now).
But there is a few exceptions from this rule:
Exception 1: Between 12PM and 8PM any car can park at this spot - but a maximum of 2 hours.
Exception 1 has a sub-exception: This 2 hours limit does not apply to charging EV's (Tesla's)
Exception 2: Between 8PM and 12noon they may park as long as they will - until 12 noon.

But then there is one more exemption to the exception 1 and 2:
Exception 3: At this one spot "any car" may not park after all between 12PM and 12 noon, as it is reserved as handicap parking only as long as it is allowed to be used as a parking spot at all. But - as I interpret this - the rule #1 still apply.
To be honest.....I don't live anywhere near there....so its an IDC.

I was just joining the conversation.

• Disagree