Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First video of a non Tesla charging (Rivian).
My Kona only charges at max 75kW or so. So v2s would be more than enough. Just sayin' ...

1677634831410.png

Is the 2021 the Raven Generation or the Plaid Generation? Which one has the longer range? Not that I can afford either.

On my trip to WA recently in my '18 LR RWD TM3 I did the return trip waking up in Yakima and made it back to Alameda in a day of driving, so maybe 7am to 9pm, and that's with stopping for free 50kW charging at stops along the way. One day I'll finally pay for each charge so I can get the trip time that ABRP plans for me, but it'll have to be somewhere that doesn't have a free charge option... (thanks CalTrans)
it's a 2021 Long Range S- which is from the Plaid generation, ie new battery pack configuration that came with the Plaid Refresh.

My Kona only charges at max 75kW or so. So v2s would be more than enough. Just sayin' ...
And that's the main reason we don't want other, slower charging cars, charging at Superchargers - they'll tie them up for twice as much time as a Tesla would. This will speak for charging per minute instead of per Kwhr which most don't like either.
Personally, I'm happy about opening up the network but, in order to sustain the growth of the network, they should charge twice as much for such cars since it takes twice as much infrastructure to serve them.

And that's the main reason we don't want other, slower charging cars, charging at Superchargers - they'll tie them up for twice as much time as a Tesla would. This will speak for charging per minute instead of per Kwhr which most don't like either.
Personally, I'm happy about opening up the network but, in order to sustain the growth of the network, they should charge twice as much for such cars since it takes twice as much infrastructure to serve them.
Nonsense. That's the same kind of reaction you get from uninformed and inexperienced non-EV owners. "Charging will ruin everything, so I can't get an EV!!!" The simple truth is that if there are problems then Tesla will adjust things to fix them. If they don't, then start complaining then. Meanwhile, just assume it will make things better for everybody. No downside to that.

Tesla isn't going to install Magic Docks at high occupancy Supercharger locations. It'll be at lightly used locations - that way Tesla gets to get incremental revenue from an asset that isn't being used all that often. Overloading an already busy Supercharger location would be pointless.

That's the same kind of reaction you get from uninformed and inexperienced non-EV owners
I've been driving an EV nearly consistently since 1999 (5-year break after it was taken away from us and crushed - which I had predicted when we got it) and have been a Tesla customer since 2006. I've also owned a Volt and put 110K miles on a Leaf. I'm hardly inexperienced and my intuition has been spot on since we bought TSLA at $17/share and have spent $0 on Aptera, Miles Motors, Phoenix Motorcars, Hybrid Motors, Faraday Future, Wheego, and a host of other failed EV startups.
The simple truth is that if there are problems then Tesla will adjust things to fix them.
Not if they're spending twice as much money meeting the needs non-Tesla drivers as they do their customers who already supported the Supercharger network by buying their high-margin cars. By charging slow charging EVs what it costs, we have a sustainable solution. Then there will be money to accelerate the growth of the Supercharger network.
In the long run, that will make things better for everybody. No downside to that.

Tesla isn't going to install Magic Docks at high occupancy Supercharger locations. It'll be at lightly used locations
It will accelerate the growth of sustainable transportation if they install them where they are most needed. This is where there is huge demand for them. Initial trials at low occupancy locations is an easy to trial them.
If they make it sustainable, all will be better.

And that's the main reason we don't want other, slower charging cars, charging at Superchargers - they'll tie them up for twice as much time as a Tesla would.
As I'm sure you are aware, it's not quite as black and white as that. Charging curve, SOC and battery temperature all mean a hell of a lot more than peak charge speed. I'd rather share a SC site with a toasty Kona charging to 80% than a frozen Model 3 who is going for a 100% charge.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Then we better ban all of the old Teslas that have degraded packs and can't charge fast too. 🤣

This person has the right idea, most people with the slow charging vehicles aren't going to be taking road trips:

As I'm sure you are aware, it's not quite as black and white as that. Charging curve, SOC and battery temperature all mean a hell of a lot more than peak charge speed. I'd rather share a SC site with a toasty Kona charging to 80% than a frozen Model 3 who is going for a 100% charge.
I'm not sure why the Kona would be toasty while the Model 3 frozen, however:
50 minutes for the Kona to get 180 miles of range or 60 minutes for the Model 3 to go 300 miles?
That means that the Kona is going to be tying up another Supercharger 3.4 hours later while the Model 3 won't stop for another 5 hours (assuming they drive 60 mph and have the guts to go down to 0 SoC). That's hardly comparable. Hopefully the Kona driver is at least friendly while you wait with him/her.

• Disagree
Then we better ban all of the old Teslas that have degraded packs and can't charge fast too
They paid for most of the fast chargers and faster charging cars that we're now using. They have also been promised unlimited free charging. There also aren't too many of them and will never be more.
Somehow, I think that doesn't make much sense.

They paid for most of the fast chargers and faster charging cars that we're now using.
Um, no they didn't. They paid for their car, they certainly didn't pay for my car, or my neighbors. (Did they pay for yours?)

As for which chargers they "paid" for, not any of the ones installed in the last ~6 years, which is actually most of them. I would even argue that most of the FUSC vehicles are probably on the second, or third, owner by now. So, the current drivers aren't the ones that paid for anything, as a car with FUSC doesn't really sell for any more than a similar one without. (Yes, the actual early adopters helped to make Tesla successful, so that later people had the option to buy a Tesla.)

Do we need a different thread for this?