Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do share this lovely continent with another country too. :smile:

Yes, but Tesla is unlikely to put up superchargers in places where they don't sell the Model S.

It is worth noting that the Edison NJ zoning board is meeting again this Tuesday, the 14th, to review Tesla's application (again ... first app was rejected) for installing superchargers at the mall. I believe many Tesla owners are planning to be present.

Is there a strong anti-EV sentiment in NJ? What possible reason could they have for rejecting an application?

Don't get greedy now. We're (in the U.S.) the ones who are greedy. :biggrin:

I Forgot the smiley. Seriously, Canada does need a bunch too, but hopefully not 200.

We've got just as much land mass as the US and far greater distance between centres. 200 superchargers would probably cover the majority of the population though.

- - - Updated - - -

Related, as we are likely just weeks away from the first supercharger-enabled cross country trip, you might want to learn about the first ICE car trip across the country, in 1903.

Horatio's Drive | PBS

The irony in that story is pretty thick in light of what the EV movement now faces.

From Horatio's stop #1 (emphasis mine):

On the evening of May 19, 1903 at the University Club is San Francisco, Horatio Jackson argued that the automobile was more than a “rich man’s toy” suitable only for short drives on city boulevards, and he disagreed what other men declared that a car could never make it all the way across the country. Someone wagered fifty dollars that no one could drive to New York City in less than three months. Jackson immediately accepted the challenge.

Sound familiar to anyone?

1/4 of canadas population is within 100 miles of toronto. They will likely connect windsor to montreal. I dont seet hem doing much more than the TCH and 401 between toronto and montreal. Not enough population to care.

I don't know the major highways crossing Canada, but I would imagine they'd do something to connect Vancouver to Montreal and go as far north as Edmonton.

I don't know the major highways crossing Canada, but I would imagine they'd do something to connect Vancouver to Montreal and go as far north as Edmonton.

Tesla has so far not indicated that they are going to connect the Trans-Canada (Hwy 1) east of Calgary and west of Ontario, but perhaps if the car population rises more, they will consider it. Tesla's map shows that Edmonton will be connected to Calgary in 2015 with a supercharger in or near Red Deer, AB.

Sun Country Highway has populated that whole cross-country route with 70A J1772 charge stations, at least.

Tesla has so far not indicated that they are going to connect the Trans-Canada (Hwy 1) east of Calgary and west of Ontario, but perhaps if the car population rises more, they will consider it. Tesla's map shows that Edmonton will be connected to Calgary in 2015 with a supercharger in or near Red Deer, AB.

Sun Country Highway has populated that whole cross-country route with 70A J1772 charge stations, at least.

Very few people drive from usa to canada and across canada so it would be a very poor business decision to cover canada west to east.... Earlier in the thread someone was quoting a goal of 400 superchargers in north america before they are done. Imho no more than 30 would ever be built in canada and likely no more than 10

I guess you guys will have to come down out of the cold then if you want to make the trip to Toronto or Montreal. :) It looks like people in Winnipeg are basically SOL. I would think with sales doing so well in Norway that they would try to use that to help sell cars in Canada, as well as being more aggressive with SC construction there. I understand that it's not priority right now, but you'd think before the end of 2015 they'd have some kind of plans for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Very few people drive from usa to canada and across canada so it would be a very poor business decision to cover canada west to east.... Earlier in the thread someone was quoting a goal of 400 superchargers in north america before they are done. Imho no more than 30 would ever be built in canada and likely no more than 10

Yes, maybe not from the US and then across Canada, but what about Canadians? Surely they'd prefer not to make two national border crossings to cross their own country.

Hmmm, quite an "east coast" comment if I do say so. Firstly, Tesla already indicates a plan for at least 12 superchargers in Canada, so your speculation is a bit pessimistic. Furthermore, you have clearly not crossed from WA to BC at the Peace Arch on a Sunday night. The traffic backs up at the border crossing for miles!

I'm Canadian live in New York and have a summer place north of Toronto. I want a network more than most.

It's the largest country in the world with the population of California.

90% of the population is within 100 miles of the us border. I'm not pessimistic I am a realist and business minded. Already have the SCN across the TCH. I didn't know they committed to 12. It's great that they did. Maybe they even get to 20. I jus think with such a large country and a small population it doesn't make practical sense to have a network similar to USA..

I'm Canadian live in New York and have a summer place north of Toronto. I want a network more than most.

90% of the population is within 100 miles of the us border. I'm not pessimistic I am a realist and business minded. Already have the SCN across the TCH. I didn't know they committed to 12. It's great that they did. Maybe they even get to 20. I jus think with such a large country and a small population it doesn't make practical sense to have a network similar to USA..
I dont know about that

Looking forward to the Oxnard SC progress!

We can't get away from geography here (I think Russia is bigger).

As for the population thing, it seems that, much like the US, the population in Canada is largely concentrated at the coasts. You have to get back and forth somehow. South Dakota is one of the least populated states in the US, but they have 3 Superchargers because you have to get from one coast to the other somehow. Driving down to the US, funneling through busy border crossings, and then driving across the country to do it all over again doesn't seem like a good option in the long run.

Before the U.S. got paranoid, crossing the border was no big deal. Now it's an ordeal. I'd expect Tesla to erect Superchargers all along the TransCanada highway, although probably not by 2015.

Russia is no longer bigger after the breakaway republics (USSR vs Russia) that happened decades ago. I agree with the need to get west coast of canada to east coast. I would hope they out them across the TCH I just don't see the practicality.

Sorry to break the news to you, but Russia alone is still the largest country in the world -- over 50% larger than Canada. Here's a table listing the area: List of countries and dependencies by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We can't get away from geography here (I think Russia is bigger).

I was confused at first too. I think he's saying there aren't too many countries out there whos land mass is rather huge but doesn't support a large population. Canada has 35 million whereas Russia and Brazil have 100+. RainmakerJL is actually on our side saying that Tesla should only line the US/Canada border with SCs rather than trying to cover the whole country because of population density.

RainmakerJL is actually on our side saying that Tesla should only line the US/Canada border with SCs rather than trying to cover the whole country because of population density.

That's exactly what happens when you put Superchargers along the TransCanada highway. Then you need some to get to Edmonton and Saskatoon.

The only other way across Western Canada is to go though Prince George BC, Grand Prairie, Edmonton, Vermillion, and Lloydminster AB, North Battleford, Saskatoon and Yorkton SK, and then to Winnepeg MB. You then join up with the TransCanada highway.

Basic Travel Etiquette: Avoid Urban Congestion whenever possible:

#1 - Avoid CHICAGO - leave this to traffic going around the Great Lakes (they have no choice).

#2 - Avoid Chicago - cross Illinois at Springfield instead.

#3 - Avoid western Pennsy Tpke - narrow hilly clogged w semis going too fast.

#4 - Avoid NYS Thruway (Buffalo - Albany) - just personal bias.

Add your favorites.
--