Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should enjoy this time for what it is: you could count the number of Superchargers near you on the fingers of one hand, and perhaps, you only used them on your travels rarely or not at all.

In 10 years there will be so many that you won't worry about how far away from one you are... you'll just use the in-car map to find the nearest one.

FWIW, I spoke yesterday with the SC Edison engineer who designed the high side of the Culver City SC, and he stated that TM has scheduled 50 superchargers for 2015 just within SCE'S service territory. This compares to 17 in 2014. I can't vouch for either number.
14 million people in a 50,000 square-mile area of central, coastal and Southern California
Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 8.09.52 AM.png

FWIW, I spoke yesterday with the SC Edison engineer who designed the high side of the Culver City SC, and he stated that TM has scheduled 50 superchargers for 2015 just within SCE'S service territory. This compares to 17 in 2014. I can't vouch for either number.

Here's the SCE territory map:

SCE Territory Map | Leadership | Who We Are | About Us | Home - SCE

Inaccurately eyeballing it, looks like 6 superchargers are in their territory now. So not sure what the 17 refers to. Maybe it is stall count....

Good question: the Find Us page still shows just the Store and Service Center with L2 charging, not a SpC.

I keep seeing people say this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, because I used it over Thanksgiving during my road trip from California to Minnesota and back to look up the amenities at all the Superchargers before I got there and never had any issues seeing the Superchargers on the Find Us page. It showed a list view in the car, but seems to be showing the map when I use my computer, but either way shows the Superchargers.

Douglas, what I meant was that it seems impossible that in 2015 Tesla will build 50 new Superchargers sites (each with multiple charging pedestals) just in the territory covered by SCE (Southern California Edison). Either the Edison engineer "misspoke" or he was counting charging pedestals and not SC sites.

Except that there are many more than 17 units in 2014. There are 12 in Culver City alone.

Tesla has really ramped up the Supercharger Opening rate in the last 6 months. Today there are 314 Superchargers world-wide. As of July 1 this year there were 125 world-wide. That means that Tesla has opened 189 Superchargers since July 1, or about 60% of all Superchargers were opened in the last 6 months.

Since Oct 1 (3 months), there were 107 openings or about 1/3 of all Superchargers, and since Nov 1 (2 months), there were 77 openings or about 1/4 of all Superchargers.

Tesla has really ramped up the Supercharger Opening rate in the last 6 months. Today there are 314 Superchargers world-wide. As of July 1 this year there were 125 world-wide. That means that Tesla has opened 189 Superchargers since July 1, or about 60% of all Superchargers were opened in the last 6 months.

Since Oct 1 (3 months), there were 107 openings or about 1/3 of all Superchargers, and since Nov 1 (2 months), there were 77 openings or about 1/4 of all Superchargers.

The acceleration is really awesome. And at this pace the 700th global Supercharger station will probably go live in December 2015, and the 1,000th global Supercharger station will certainly go live even before Q4 2016.

I keep seeing people say this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, because I used it over Thanksgiving during my road trip from California to Minnesota and back to look up the amenities at all the Superchargers before I got there and never had any issues seeing the Superchargers on the Find Us page. It showed a list view in the car, but seems to be showing the map when I use my computer, but either way shows the Superchargers.

We're talking about the second, red dot in Las Vegas on the "Open Now" Supercharger map for North America on the TM corporate website. When you drill down using the "Find Us" link below the map, you'll see only one Supercharger site in Las Vegas, the one in north (downtown) Las Vegas. There is also a charging site co-located with the store and service center in south Las Vegas, but the info pop-up behind the charging icon talks only about the store and service center, and doesn't specify what chargers are available. I'm not in my S at the moment, so I don't know what the in-car map shows.

- - - Updated - - -

The acceleration is really awesome. And at this pace the 700th global Supercharger station will probably go live in December 2015, and the 1,000th global Supercharger station will certainly go live even before Q4 2016.

Clearly, you meant to say, "The acceleration is really Insane." :biggrin:

> Total number of gas stations in the US: 121,446 [factoid]

Gee, I thought there were a bit more . . .
--

Does that include the gas stations such as grocery/convenience stores that didn't start out as gas stations but added gas pumps at a later date? or truck stops that also sell gas, or is it just "gas stations"?

So... given that a significant portion of Model S owners are assumed to charge at home overnight for their "daily" driving needs, I wonder what that would do the total # of refueling points necessary to support a similar sized group of EV's as there are ICE vehicles...

It's certainly true that the current crop of Model S owners charge at home, but once the lower price car gets out there will be many people with no way to charge at home (apartments and condos). So the demand will be similar to gas stations--or even higher--in areas with those kinds of housing.

It's certainly true that the current crop of Model S owners charge at home, but once the lower price car gets out there will be many people with no way to charge at home (apartments and condos). So the demand will be similar to gas stations--or even higher--in areas with those kinds of housing.

Maybe some of the newer and "Greener" condos and Apartments will include some Level 2 charging stations and designated parking spots in their initial planning and construction.
And possibly retrofit some of the existing properties to have the same sort of amenity.

Handicap parking spaces have been around for 25 years, and they are still being retro-fitted to older properties.
Any new project has them included as part of initial design and permitting, or they don't get built.
Why can't there be the same amount of fore-thought to include and retro-fit parking Condos and Apartments with charging areas for EVs?

Why can't there be the same amount of fore-thought to include and retro-fit parking Condos and Apartments with charging areas for EVs?
There can, and there will be. There'll be more and more EVs, and increasingly, policy makers (and landlords, and lodging hosts) will know someone who drives one...

I think when we start to see Charging actually listed as an amenity in apt, condo, resort and hotel marketing, we'll be past the tipping point. It'll improve with or without legislation.

Recently, I added "car charging would be a plus - Hyatt has it" in my travel preferences since I knew my company would use one of two hotels (one has no EVSEs or even 110, the Hyatt has 2 J1772s in addition to Tesla destination HPWCs). Chatter was that the co. was leaning towards the one without... When checking in at the Hyatt, :) I made sure to mention I appreciated both charging options - to let the staff associate this amenity with the few dozen rooms my co. booked there for that event. Maybe they both get LEED points for it too.

I don't know factually if I influenced the choice of venue, but I think of it as:

"If you want to drive change, change what you drive"