Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did not have to pull stock compensation cost forward

Yes they did. They have to follow the agreement and GAAP rules. As soon as they file the 10-Q they will announce that the 21Q1 results unlocked an additional two tranches of the stock compensation plan. (So Elon has already unlocked ~60% of the plan.) We didn't see them releasing two tranches this quarter, so that was a surprise to us as well. (Maybe it shouldn't have been a surprise, but we expected Q1 to be a slower quarter than it was.)

Haven’t seen @RobStark post this yet, but M3 absolutely crushed Europe in March

1619573343504.jpeg

1619573320390.jpeg

Near term increase in SP is NOT GOOD for TSLA. The only benefit of increased SP is access to capital, which Tesla no longer needs.

What are the drawbacks?
- rapid increase in SP -> increased cost of employee option compensation, and sometimes source of friction and distraction in labour force,
Wrong. Most companies give options based on $ amounts - not # of shares.

- turns on Bernie
LOL. You have no idea about this, do you ?

I'm unsure why you think that chart is relevant to the point?

Toyota sells a LOT of different vehicles.

I'm sure a TON of Prius and Camry and probably even RAV4 buyers came over to the Model 3 or Y.

I doubt a ton of Tundra (or more relevantly, F-150) owners did. The Cybertruck might well change that when it's widely available though.

Likewise, I doubt many car buyers were cross shopping things like the Corolla or Yaris at the same time as the 3 or Y given the Tesla is 2-3x the price. The Model 2 (or whatever they end up calling it) might well change that when it's widely available.

There's TONS of ~30k to ~60k priced vehicles the Y is likely to steal sales from. That's where Elon will get to "best selling vehicle in the world"

Heavy duty full sized trucks, and compact 15-20k cars, are not going to be a substantial number of those stolen sales for the Y. That's why Tesla is working on future models for exactly those targets.

Reactions: kbM3 and RobStark
Didn't see this posted yet. Elon's response to Gary Black on the need for PR:

It seems almost everything at Elon's companies follow a first-principles perspective. What's the point of advertising if the product and its owners speak for it. Even the delivery of my Model Y was bare bones: walk into a parking lot, drive it off. No extra bells and whistles, just the product, the performance, the features.

Not everyone likes this kind of approach, but it definitely seems to be in Elon's style.

Likewise, I doubt many car buyers were cross shopping things like the Corolla or Yaris at the same time as the 3 or Y given the Tesla is 2-3x the price. The Model 2 (or whatever they end up calling it) might well change that when it's widely available.
That's been repeatedly debunked. A lot of Tesla Model 3 buyers do the "stretch" to get into a BEV with lower operating costs. Also, there are a LOT of millionaires who drive Camrys, Hondas, Hyundai, etc. and for whom a Model 3 or a Model Y is not even a stretch - it's just a very inexpensive car to operate. Millionaires like that. That's how many of them became millionaires!

That's a good point. I'm no accountant, but here was some accounting treatment discussion in the Tesla 10-K filed Feb 8, 2021: (excerpt from pg 22)

Paging @ByeByeJohnny You may have missed this discussion on March 13, 2021 since the topic was banned/relegated to another thread by our ever helpful MODS.

So my original point stands. Tesla has to sell BTC to lock in its value, otherwise it inevitably will incur an impairment charge at some future time which is NOT automatically undone. Only a sale revalues the asset after the impairment.
Cryptocurrency discussion QUA cryptocurrency is, as by rights ought to be, relegated outside this thread. C’currency discussion AS IT PERTAINS TO TESLA has a place here.
Pigheaded obstinacy, though, belongs nowhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: JoRoMo and mblakele
Without making me dig up the thread and read copious amounts of boredom; are we below, about right or above blind faith numbers. Since you’re buying, do I assume we’re below by an obvious amount?
I don't know. It's been a while since I've updated it. This last quarter I've been distracted by crypto. I've been nibbling at shares in the 600s, but focused more on building up a MSTR position. Now I'm back to Tesla. Tesla has enormous growth queued up. Crypto is shiny and all that, but Tesla is actually building a new economy.

Tesla will over take the market cap of bitcoin.

How's that for a long-term price target?

So for tomorrow, Tesla still wants to have a bullish technical break out, however it needs to bounce of support of 704 which is 50ma. If it closes below 50ma then it's gonna be a rough 3 months (or until Moody upgrade Tesla to investment grade). If it closes above 50ma tomorrow then it's like a quadruple bottom and stock will go higher after it breaks resistance around 720ish. Macro is green right now. Good luck and God speed.

How about this for schadenfreude? Big Short: UBS, Top Broker Face $23 Million Claim over Tesla Trades - AdvisorHub

TL;DR- An advisor pushed shorting of TSLA to a client (who agreed). Client lost a ton of money and is suing UBS.
Oh, now this is just majestic. I know personally - she’s very close to me but NOT a client - who has EXACTLY $23 million of shares of TSLA....just in her UBS account alone!
It’s a good thing I don’t wear spectacles as they’d have popped into the fireplace when I read that.

I’ve got to show her this.

This confirms what I already suspected from Zach's Bitcoin comments during the earnings call: The Bitcoin sale was a test of Bitcoin liquidity.
If this is true, the board should remove him. This is a serious problem of misuse of company resources IMO. His test or experiment proves only that he does not understand the asset yet he has put over a billion dollars of resources at risk.

I am sure this will not be received well but I am probably am not alone in this analysis. The board should issue a position on his actions.

I expect this test of liquidity to happen every Q.

The only thing that BTC does is money. Nobody uses it for anything else.

This whole thing of accepting payments in BTC that everyone is jumping on now is just free advertising. Nobody actually uses it to buy anything.

Tesla should sell and make profits whenever the Master of Coin deems necessary.

And I think more corporations will do that. Let’s see who’s going to be the ones left holding the bag. Definitely not the ones buying low and selling high.

That is one possibility. Another is a slow test of a tipping point. “Can we offload $10MM? Yep. Okay, $50MM? $60? $100?
Testing the markets is not necessarily equivalent to not understanding an asset.
But the cart is before the horse in this case, I think. Maybe do a test with 50 or 100 million. THEN invest the billion dollars.

It seems to me the admission here is that the billion plus asset purchase was not properly vetted initially. After the fact, a SW problem was discovered and patched, after the fact, liquidity testing is done.

The very initial purchase of a billion plus dollars must have been some level of ”test” of liquidity unless there was a problem from the beginning. There is something not right and I hope he is not leaving something out.

But the cart is before the horse in this case, I think. Maybe do a test with 50 or 100 million. THEN invest the billion dollars.

It seems to me the admission here is that the billion plus asset purchase was not properly vetted initially. After the fact, a SW problem was discovered and patched, after the fact, liquidity testing is done.

The very initial purchase of a billion plus dollars must have been some level of ”test” of liquidity unless there was a problem from the beginning. There is something not right and I hope he is not leaving something out.
I don't recall the sale of bitcoin every specifically being cited at the test. Whats to say the initial purchase wasn't the test. I doubt they bought it all in one order.

Then why is Waymo, which has a working L4 LIDAR based robotaxi serving consumers, still stuck in one tiny geofenced area in Arizona?
The systems by Huawei and Mobileye that will be available at the end of 2021 and work anywhere in China with no geofence disproves this logic. The Huawei system uses three lidars and while the mobileye supervision system doesn’t use lidar, they both use HD map.

Someone insert that ALLEGEDLY meme here!

Seriously, I've been hearing "LEGIT REAL DOOR TO DOOR ANYWHERE SELF DRIVING CAR RELEASING BY END OF YEAR" for.... many years....(including from Tesla to be fair) and nobody's been right yet.

No reason to believe these companies in China are either.
You are mistaking Tesla and Elon musk’s yearly proclaimation for other people. Huawei had been secretly developing their ADS system till revealing it late 2020. They always said it will be mass produced Q4 2021 and they are right on schedule. Before then, no one knew what they were doing.

The same is the case with mobileye.
It’s Elon that has been saying L5 feature complete by end of the year, every year.

If this is true, the board should remove him. This is a serious problem of misuse of company resources IMO. His test or experiment proves only that he does not understand the asset yet he has put over a billion dollars of resources at risk.

I am sure this will not be received well but I am probably am not alone in this analysis. The board should issue a position on his actions.

Your comment is confusing. I suspect Tesla was gauging the market reaction to a few large, simultaneous sales. For all we know, they had their crypto market data feeds being observed by AI while they entered the sell orders.

Nothing wrong with testing the waters.