Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1632237536874.png

Do you mean stalactite?

Clearly, this one grew "UP"
Stalactites grow down from the cave ceiling, while stalagmites grow up from the cave floor. It's easy to remember which is which: Stalactites have a "T" for top and stalagmites have a "G" for ground. Speleothems actually form because of water. Rainwater seeps through cracks in the rock.

It’s not, but interesting you thought it was. It refers to Ford building their cars in Mexico and - never mind too much to explain for you to understand the nuance and thusly the humor.
I understand the nuance, however I was unsure if it would be considered racist to have an implication that Mexicans build lesser quality vehicles. I sometimes like to check these things to make sure I'm not assuming things I shouldn't. Never mind, too much to explain that sometimes questions are honest and not a judgement.

I wasn't sure, because it didn't come back down, so I was thinking more of the chart shape which showed a drop and then relatively immediate reversal which looks obviously like a stalactite. I'm not a TA guy so if just straight upward movement is considered a stalagmite, then so be it.

Well, @Papafox likes to refer to the sudden SP drops as "icicles", but there isn't really an analog to those for sudden increases. So I take it upon myself to introduce the terms "stalactite" and "stalagmite" into our lexicon.

A stalactite is an icicle-shaped formation that hangs from the ceiling of a cave and is produced by precipitation of minerals from water dripping through the cave ceiling. Most stalactites have pointed tips.

Reactions: InTheShadows
Its ironic, FSD will eventually be a perfect system. The problem is it has to operate in an imperfect environment with humans drivers. Tteaching FSD to read road signs, is relatively easy. The problem is teaching FSD to read road signs and react to the driver in the next lane texting or putting on makeup. Moving AI from being theoretical to reality.

Licensing this tech, even in an imperfect state should yield positive results for the stock price.

FSD will become many times better than a human but it will never be perfect.

Nothing is.

No its a real question. I have asked the same thing multiple times over the years on this thread. Its about liability, when FSD is involved in an accident with a casualty, and it will happen, who is liable? Because the NTSB is snooping around, now some here are thinking about the same question. Kudos to Tesla for being careful in choosing Beta testers, it tells me Elon and his management team are thinking about the same question too.

Elon has not only thought about who would be liable for FSD accidents, he answered it a long time ago. The company who makes the system will be liable. There are a number of ways to insure this and, since FSD won't be a thing until it's better than the average human, the cost will be lower than insuring a human driver for the same number of miles. The exact amount will depend upon how much safer it is than the average human.

On the FSD screening - Assessment is tricky and you don't know what you're starting with here as the audience is very broad, including language, IQ, even EQ. It's already difficult to do in corporations where everyone has a degree and there are no barriors such as stress. And let's face it, 80% is not an acceptable passing grade, so this might limit >50% of users (maybe what we want at first).

But today's Driver Test really doesn't measure much that counts (reaction time, scenarios, actual rules...). Therefore, society accepted that we have dangerous people on the road from day one, and they are killing people. Why should FSD have a different set of criteria?

I say let's take FSD through a complete Human Driver's Test. If it passes, the criteria that we placed on human drivers was met, albiet a low bar. Actually, this would be a great demo. Just have the one evaluating place a local route, press go, start scoring as usual. Aside from rolling through a stop sign on occasion, I think it would pass with flying colors. And if it did, why can't we say it's at least as safe as a human? I don't like this double standard.

I understand the nuance, however I was unsure if it would be considered racist to have an implication that Mexicans build lesser quality vehicles. I sometimes like to check these things to make sure I'm not assuming things I shouldn't. Never mind, too much to explain that sometimes questions are honest and not a judgement.
I can appreciate honest questions, but that’s a super uninformed, out of left field one in this circumstance and thusly suspect because

1) this forum has strict rules about that kind of thing and nobody here tolerates racism for a second

2) the poster in question and his large posting history

3) nobody’s going to openly admit it even if it’s true given today’s climate; least of all see # 1 & 2

Reactions: AquaY
Stock goes from greatly outperforming the macro's to only meh outperforming.......stalls just above 740.......goes and takes a look at options/max pain....and we have our answer.

Lame
I'm not a huge fan either, but has some advantages as it is good predictor of the future and we all know we are definitely compressing the spring this week.

Here's next week which is shaping up to test $800

OI 10_1.png

I hadnt seen this yet, but may have missed it with the amount of back and forth over the last couple days. InsideEVs updated with another chart, this time on efficiency, where the real winners in battery technology start to surface.

bev-us-comparison-price-per-mile-20210919.png

I know, without hesitation that my reaction time is, well, slower ~ probably faster than you, but much slower than years ago. I have followed the articles on FSD. Most written by humans with an agenda.
The variability in reaction time for people is huge and important. All different length chains and speeds.

FSD should improve good and uniform.

Reactions: SOULPEDL