Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone has shown up to the dinner plate on a friday afternoon. @henchman24 is that you nibbling those shares as we approach a Friday close?
Perhaps that is the pitter-patter of shorts‘ little feet as they start to move to the buffet to nibble before things heat up in August and they really need to gorge themselves?

Not sure this is true. The average driver does approx 30miles per day, it's probably best for the mission to share the batteries among as many driver as possible to have the first 30 carbon free.
Sharing batteries... to be used on dino-juice sipping hybrid ICE boxes just to check a box and qualify for the subsidy will simply reduce the amount of EVs that can be produced. Those batteries are far more likely to be charged by the petroleum fueled ICE than the constantly improving grid or home solar. The reduced EV production slows EV adoption rate. We reward legacy auto with handouts to keep them on life support and change more slowly. No thanks.

Last edited:
I disagree after owning a Volt and now a RAV4 Prime along with a model 3. With batteries 1/4 the size of my early Roadster they accounted for far more gas free miles. It is very common to go more than 1500 miles on a tank of petrol. And we really enjoy camping in our little camper and towing in a Tesla is a real pain. Especially since VERY few national Parks or Forests have any electricity. Heck 240v at State parks is very rare. But the RAV4 prime lets us take our camper on extended trips at an average of 31mpg. Something not really possible with my Model 3. I know as I have tried it several times. Range is cut in half and you need to drop the trailer to charge. Like I said a pain.
Yes, we know how this works with towing and all, but you are missing the point. The big picture is nowhere to be found by using hybrids.

Not sure this is true. The average driver does approx 30miles per day, it's probably best for the mission to share the batteries among as many driver as possible to have the first 30 carbon free.
That's only if they bother to plug them in. Assuming they HAVE a handy place to plug them in.

For those poor unfortunate souls that don't have the signature orange roof, there are other options.
Saw this beautY yesterday.
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 2.38.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 2.51.31 PM.png

I can't put my finger on it, but I noticed there may have been a change in attitude here on TMC this week (sans @StarFoxisDown!).
Have a great weekend all. This party is just getting started.

That's only if they bother to plug them in. Assuming they HAVE a handy place to plug them in.
Why would someone buy a PHEV if they didn't have a place to plug in? Besides, given the small pack size, level 1 charging should top the battery overnight, not like you need the investment in a level 2 charger. They still seem like a good stop-gap measure until batteries become more affordable and more charging infrastructure is built-out, especially in more remote locations. If the goal is to reduce the burning of fossil fuels, they are a step in that direction.

Why would someone buy a PHEV if they didn't have a place to plug in? Besides, given the small pack size, level 1 charging should top the battery overnight, not like you need the investment in a level 2 charger. They still seem like a good stop-gap measure until batteries become more affordable and more charging infrastructure is built-out, especially in more remote locations. If the goal is to reduce the burning of fossil fuels, they are a step in that direction.
Tax rebate on a nominal small-battery hybrid designed primarily for tax rebate harvesting.

(I see @Bouboule beat me to my original post on this subject.)

Problem is studies have shown most PHEV drivers are LAZY and don't plug in their cars. So the benefit is greatly diminished.
I think you need to actually read the article. They are mocking the Greenpeace loons making that claim.

Calling PHEVs “fake electric cars” is just silly. We agree some of the early offerings, which had an electric only operating range of less than 10 miles, were stupid cars. (We’re looking at you, BMW and Audi.) But a modern PHEV can provide lower emissions to a wide segment of drivers at a price that is considerably less than a battery electric vehicle. The protestations of Greenpeace and Transportation and Environment would actually penalize low income drivers who otherwise would be driving conventional cars that spew clouds of carbon emissions out their tailpipes.

Orange trend line which held for 24 months is the one to beat.
Nice to see TSLA is higher than new green trend line which also gets us to ATH by end of 2022.
And why not. These trend lines are linear and we are entering the near vertical part of the S curve after all.
Hold onto the safety rails. 2H 2022 and all of 2023 are going to be like nothing we have ever seen before.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 2.58.49 PM.png

EDIT: My apologies to @2daMoon and everyone else here on TMC for my above post.