Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People believe any news that supports their existing opinions.
People believe any news anything that supports their existing opinions.

Generally speaking, we are easy to fool. My cousin found Jesus about 5 times while trying to leach as much money as he could from my grandparents. Wipster's doctor think's he just paid a deposit on his Cybertruck. Politicians... exist.

Wall Street analysts are paid to tell people what they want to hear. Each type of analyst has a different job to fill and concocts their narrative. Many "journalists" are paid to support a specific narrative and have lots of analysts with varying views they can choose from to support their narrative.

Companies influence that narrative through advertising.

CNN is blaming wallstreetbets on Reddit for a pump n dump that just occurred with HKD.

HKD was first mentioned on wallstreetbets yesterday, when it was already astronomically high, with a warning to stay away. It also has non-public shares and no options.

Media continuing to lie and now using reddit users as a scapegoat.

How many examples need to happen before people stop believing anything the "news" says?
Yes, and they're reliable??? Factually if trading a small cap, retail can and does sometimes generate big movements. Tesla is NOT a small cap. Trading volume alone shows it could not be retail. Certainly TSLA is manipulated, but the manipulation is big money brokers, dealers, and institutional investors. As people keep discussing, market makers make the market and keep it volatile to keep making more money. Retail make pretty good marks for some of the, but we could never move a security like TSLA.

Many of us disagree with that. Those are the ones who are happy to trade options both long and short.
The rest of us mostly ignore the fluctuations and don't pay much attention to daily movements, or even quarterly, except for purient interest. Ron Baron is pretty close to my ideal.

Elon said CT deliveries could start middle of 2023, so is it all that crazy someone got a delivery estimate?

Only reason I don't believe it is that 2,000 other people haven't chimed in or Tweeted anything. Should be an update tonight I assume.
Yes, it's crazy to think Tesla would be giving delivery windows before they have started 4680 production or installed the Gigapress.

The idea that they might give delivery windows a year out is unlikely but possible. The idea they would do it before they rolled the first test truck off the line seems... crazy.

Tomorrow Sir - 4:30pm Central time

I really don't think we'll get a CT update tomorrow, especially not a date for production start. It just seems way too early for that to me, even though I would absolutely LOVE it if we did.

I feel the doctor who said he had a delivery date for his CT might have simply been talking about his order confirmation while using inexact language. That seems more reasonable to me, because if CT dates had started going out I really think we'd have heard about it by now from multiple sources.... 🤔

I really don't think we'll get a CT update tomorrow, especially not a date for production start. It just seems way too early for that to me, even though I would absolutely LOVE it if we did.

I feel the doctor who said he had a delivery date for his CT might have simply been talking about his order confirmation while using inexact language. That seems more reasonable to me, because if CT dates had started going out I really think we'd have heard about it by now from multiple sources.... 🤔
Perhaps the doctor violated the NDA. :)

Do you all remember back in the good old days of pre-split 2020 when the share price stayed below $1500 for days and days? And we started to speculate around a possible S&P500 inclusion? Well - it turned out to be something else:

WOW 1499.99 those MM are good.
Bet we have an announcement today.

Oh, the manipulation, it burns My Precious!

Why all this fighting to make the stock close as close as possible to $1500 on a freaking wednesday? What does that achieve?

Yup, all the way up to $1520 and back to $1480 tomorrow. ;) Edit, I really hope tomorrow you can laugh and call me stupid.

PALO ALTO, Calif., Aug. 11, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla, Inc.(TSLA) ("Tesla") announced today that the Board of Directors has approved and declared a five-for-one split of Tesla's common stock in the form of a stock dividend to make stock ownership more accessible to employees and investors. Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020. Trading will begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020.

When I look at this week's price action and compare it to late July/early August 2020 they both look pancakey:

Pre2020.png

Pre2022.png

Back then the split was announced on the 11th of August. Which is when the climb began After Hours.

Maybe, but I’ve thought for many years that the fraction of retail investors that hold with no intention of selling is quite high. If so, that makes the actual ‘free float’ relatively low for such a large cap company. It’s part of the reason that the manips are able to induce so much volatility. It would also make retail, or any other investors or shorts, more influential than might otherwise be the case.
Actually the numbers that count are those of the largest insider holdings. Those are the ones that usually are big enough to move markets. So, specifically, when Elon Musk decides to sell 10% of his holdings, say, that does move markets. Retail investors could rarely trade in unified direction and quality to move any large cap. Back in 2010 to maybe even 2014 or so, we might have been able to do that.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
Elon said CT deliveries could start middle of 2023, so is it all that crazy someone got a delivery estimate?

Only reason I don't believe it is that 2,000 other people haven't chimed in or Tweeted anything. Should be an update tonight I assume.
My two biggest arguments against it... You still can't order on the website an Austin Model Y after ~4 months of production. If the 4680 Y is still in this phase, Tesla won't be producing nearly enough 4680s for CT as well. Secondly, if there were windows going out... there would be massive rumors flying out any time now. Possible that the good doctor was one of the first few and it hasn't leaked... but if this is happening, we will know within a couple days.

I do hope we get an update on timeline for Cybertruck though and hopefully news on Austin Y actually being available for order.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Do you all remember back in the good old days of pre-split 2020 when the share price stayed below $1500 for days and days? And we started to speculate around a possible S&P500 inclusion? Well - it turned out to be something else:

When I look at this week's price action and compare it to late July/early August 2020 they both look pancakey:

View attachment 836246

View attachment 836247

Back then the split was announced on the 11th of August. Which is when the climb began After Hours.

You make a convincing argument. Thanks for the pick me up! :cool:

Reactions: Christine69420
Tomorrow Sir - 4:30pm Central time
Well crap....I thought it was tonight. That makes more sense.

MM's hold TSLA down today when we should be up 6%, then let us ride the down macro tomorrow after QQQ popped so much today.

Cover a bit tomorrow and they have TSLA only up 2 or 3 percent total over two trading days when we should be up 6 or 7. Genius!

Well crap....I thought it was tonight. That makes more sense.

MM's hold TSLA down today when we should be up 6%, then let us ride the down macro tomorrow after QQQ popped so much today.

Cover a bit tomorrow and they have TSLA only up 2 or 3 percent total over two trading days when we should be up 6 or 7. Genius!
Yup, it's the tried n true playbook that they implement time and time again

This is so dumb and makes Gary looks like an amateur for even sharing it. Retail doesn't have the nearly the purchasing power to cause the majority of the 45% rally off of the lows. Not even close. Not even in the same universe close.

I personally despise this narrative that Wall St continues to try and push in terms of retail investors influence on a stock's actions. GME/AMC aren't the same as TSLA. Those market caps are tiny compared to TSLA. It takes exponentially more money/purchasing power to move something like TSLA
I thought 40% of tsla shares are owned by retail. This is significant

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Lucid

• Q2 revenue of $97.3M driven by customer deliveries of 679 vehicles in the quarter
  • Strong demand with over 37,000 reservations, representing potential sales of approximately $3.5B
  • Production volume outlook for 2022 revised to a range of 6,000 to 7,000 vehicles
Oh okay

They burned 2.2 b of cash in this Q and has 3.1B left WTF. Am I reading this right?
Edit, looks like they have 4.6B left if you add their investments.

Last edited: