Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I've seen a bunch of disagrees but no explanations. Every post with content that I've seen pretty much agrees with me, that Teslas are considered by some to be "luxury" due only to their price.

Would somebody who disagrees care to point out something about Tesla vehicles that is a "luxury" feature? This would be something essentially non-functional, but present to boost owner status and convey the impression that the car is really expensive. Personally, I've never seen such a feature on any Tesla I've owned. Certainly some of the software is gratuitous, but people find all sorts of different things entertaining.

Everything about Tesla, in my opinion, is spare, understated, and exceedingly functional. Pretty much the opposite of "luxury".
I’d ask this question another way. What other cars would you consider premium? The last car I would consider premium is the DS and it’s varients (ID, DS21 etc.)

Well, I've seen a bunch of disagrees but no explanations. Every post with content that I've seen pretty much agrees with me, that Teslas are considered by some to be "luxury" due only to their price.

Would somebody who disagrees care to point out something about Tesla vehicles that is a "luxury" feature? This would be something essentially non-functional, but present to boost owner status and convey the impression that the car is really expensive. Personally, I've never seen such a feature on any Tesla I've owned. Certainly some of the software is gratuitous, but people find all sorts of different things entertaining.

Everything about Tesla, in my opinion, is spare, understated, and exceedingly functional. Pretty much the opposite of "luxury".
I don't disagree, but "luxury" can also be "minimalist", and it means different things to different people.

IMO good "luxury" is a combination of good raw materials, elegant functional design, comfort, aesthetics, ergonomics, construction and attention to detail.

I would not claim that Tesla is doing this, just that it isn't impossible for them to do it. It is not central to the mission, so if it has any priority, it is low priority.

It can be labour intensive and expensive, unless Optimus wants to work on it.

Actually if we want quality craftsmanship, to a repeatable standard, and on Friday afternoon, Optimus is the bot for the job, but then the training is expensive..

It is hard to build a cheap version of "luxury", that is why it is "luxury".

I’d ask this question another way. What other cars would you consider premium? The last car I would consider premium is the DS and it’s varients (ID, DS21 etc.)
I don't really know what "premium" means. I would imagine it might mean that it has every feature you might want. Like my 2014 Model S which had a power moon roof and air suspension. You know, stuff that isn't necessary to being a car, but makes the car work better or do more things.

In the old days, I would put power windows and locks in that category.

But that sort of thing is more of a distinction made across different trims of a single model. Tesla moved away from that pretty quickly. Now the optional trim elements are pretty much just color and wheels.
I don't disagree, but "luxury" can also be "minimalist", and it means different things to different people.

IMO good "luxury" is a combination of good raw materials, elegant functional design, comfort, aesthetics, ergonomics, construction and attention to detail.
Yes, well, these things don't seem to be why Tesla gets classed as luxury. It's just the price.

And, as you make clear, we're just arguing about things we've all defined differently and arbitrarily. So utterly pointless. I'll stop now.

YOU don’t get to define what premium is then tell everyone they have to disprove you. This is the biggest nonsense ever.

Before Tesla took over the luxury segment, the market considered luxury to be cars with a quiet interior, smooth handling, premium sound, a good ADAS system, good acceleration. keyless/ fobless entry, heated rear seats, a good “infotainment system”, in car navigation, rear seat entertainment, rear heated seats, etc etc etc… All features which Tesla provided in their base models.

So your Q buddies decided that that isn’t luxury. Luxury is about gold spoked rims and wood trim and other pointless nonsense.

The problem is the market doesn’t care about your/ TSLAQ’s definition. What people care about is the experience of driving the car. That is what they are willing to pay a premium for. Wood grain on the console is nice, but having a nav system that updates itself automatically is much nicer. Gold spoked rims are cute, but having your car warm and ready for you when you leave for work is glorious. I could go on, but the point is people fundamentally don’t give a damn about what you and TSLAQ consider ”Luxury” when they can have a car that has a fantastic owner’s experience.

Mercedes delivers pretty things, Tesla delivers things which matter to drivers.

Now can we please stop arguing about what is fundamentally a stupid definition of a term that buyers don’t actually care about?

Actual new article title on SA: EV Price War: Ford's Advantage Over Tesla Is Its Legacy ICE Sector

29 of the first 29 responses voted this written-in-seriousness headline as funny. This is why I love this forum. Everybody gets that ICE cars are a liability to legacy auto. Enter any conversation in real life and be ready to start at the very beginning “Well, EVs are quite different to ICE…”
Cheers

YOU don’t get to define what premium is then tell everyone they have to disprove you. This is the biggest nonsense ever.

Before Tesla took over the luxury segment, the market considered luxury to be cars with a quiet interior, smooth handling, premium sound, a good ADAS system, good acceleration. keyless/ fobless entry, heated rear seats, a good “infotainment system”, in car navigation, rear seat entertainment, rear heated seats, etc etc etc… All features which Tesla provided in their base models.

So your Q buddies decided that that isn’t luxury. Luxury is about gold spoked rims and wood trim and other pointless nonsense.

The problem is the market doesn’t care about your/ TSLAQ’s definition. What people care about is the experience of driving the car. That is what they are willing to pay a premium for. Wood grain on the console is nice, but having a nav system that updates itself automatically is much nicer. Gold spoked rims are cute, but having your car warm and ready for you when you leave for work is glorious. I could go on, but the point is people fundamentally don’t give a damn about what you and TSLAQ consider ”Luxury” when they can have a car that has a fantastic owner’s experience.

Mercedes delivers pretty things, Tesla delivers things which matter to drivers.

Now can we please stop arguing about what is fundamentally a stupid definition of a term that buyers don’t actually care about?
What's more... there are many auto industry groups that generate sales statistics & analyses, and Tesla always gets lumped into the Premium and or Luxury categories. It's not us causing that to happen, or Tesla's marketing department, or some group of pro-Tesla fanboys or campaigners. It's the independent auto industry groups doing it. They are the ones using those words.

Well, my Tesla will come to me in the parking lot, plays games with me, has cameras recording all around that even allow remote viewing, can play custom light/music shows, allows me to assign/manage drivers over an app, and can basically drive itself. I don’t pretend to know the definition of luxury, but to call all of these things exceedingly functional is silly. I don’t think any of these things had even been done before Tesla did them. And I didn’t even bring up the fart noises…

I’m not entirely sure why not being luxury is a TSLAQ thing. Go look at ARK’s 2026 forecast, the bull case is an ASP at $30k. That is not luxury territory, and I don’t think luxury territory is the goal to begin with.

We can list all the reasons that is true, from aiming to produce 20million vehicles per year to the very manufacturing methods employed. Liking a minimalist style is fine but it should cost less, it does cost significantly less after the recent price cuts, and everyone expects it to cost less in the future.

Reactions: Thekiwi
Each person has their own perspective.
Jonas prefers it at $105, but I like it much more at $207, and would like it even more at $420. ;)

At $207, TSLA is back up to levels seen on May 24, 2022. Clearly, AJ+company were not positioned for such a rapid move.

sc.TSLA.200-DayChart.2023-02-09.20-00.Support Level May'22.png

Too bad for AJ, they constantly miss the story on China, and are themselves a major source of FUD for Tesla's longevity in that region.

I hope they get caught out tomorrow. :)

This is my useless prediction for initial CT prices:
- $64,900 for dual motor, 3XX miles
- $89,900 for quad motor, 500 miles.

No tri-motor. Maybe a single motor down the road a ways.

I would think Tesla will move mountains to get the retail MSRP on the launch edition Cybertruck to come in under the $80K IRA cap for pickups.

Just look what they were willing to do to make the 5-seater Model Y eligible. Clearly NOT making the cut for subsidies has a huge impact on consumer's willingness to commit.