Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a WSJ comment that I would like to reply to before the comments close.

Anyone have any quick data with source links on carbon footprint of Tesla battery manufacturing?

Here is the comment I wish to respond to:
>>>>>
I have a keen interest in electric cars because they appear to be the next big thing. Simpler design and mechanics and the prospect of reducing the pollution produced by ICE automobiles.

My research suggest that any differential in carbon emissions from the production process occurs from the batteries of the electric cars. That means that electric cars start out at a surplus with respect to carbon emissions produced before any driving is done.

How quickly that is made up by the superior performance of electric cars on the emissions front depends on the source of the electricity. If the electricity comes from coal fired plants it could take 5 years or more to make up differential in emissions coming from production.
>>>>>

I think that’s actually largely true but placing emphasis in a weird place. Sure, it is technically possible to devise a way to make an EV pollute more than a gas car. The simply solution is: don’t do that. Most of the US doesn’t get its electricity from coal, and I’d question how much of it gets it from 100% coal.

Reactions: neroden and humbaba
I think that’s actually largely true but placing emphasis in a weird place. Sure, it is technically possible to devise a way to make an EV pollute more than a gas car. The simply solution is: don’t do that. Most of the US doesn’t get its electricity from coal, and I’d question how much of it gets it from 100% coal.
I believe it's only West Virginia that is close to 100% coal--and even then you are better off in an electric car.

Doom and gloom ...
I am a believer.
I believe in Elon Musk.
I believe he wants to retire to Mars.
I know he needs shitloads of money for that to happen.
I know he sees Tesla as a way to some of that money.
I know he has this compensation plan that goes to $650b market cap.
I believe he will get what can be his.

$650b is SP above $3200.
So... STFU and buy the dip.

Doom and gloom ...
I am a believer.
I believe in Elon Musk.
I believe he wants to retire to Mars.
I know he needs shitloads of money for that to happen.
I know he sees Tesla as a way to some of that money.
I know he has this compensation plan that goes to $650b market cap.
I believe he will get what can be his.

$650b is SP above $3200.
So... STFU and buy the dip.

Added 20% to my holdings...;)

It’s interesting how different people with different prior beliefs can analyze the same text so differently. Either Panasonic has given up on Tesla or Tesla has found a better way of increasing producing requiring less capital. Or something else. What matter is the prior belief, given that you can always find a way to interpret any new info however you want. Very dangerous, but also a great opportunity to make money on other people being more wrong than you! Best of luck guys, place your bets and see whomever was less wrong become rewarded!
I don't think there's really any analysis going on when Tesla released a statement that says exactly that...

Reactions: neroden
The media around the GF slowdown for batteries are not pointing out just how much market share Tesla has in global battery production. Slowing down isn't all that scary when you make, what, half the world's batteries?

New vid :)

I love how they're cleaning and restoring the environment around the factory. It's going to be quite beautiful when it's done. Hope the Chinese government ends up setting up wind turbines there like in the pictures. What an ad for a clean future that'll be! :
But will they? Recently I heard from an expert on wind energy (and many other things) that windmill noise causes cancer!

The media around the GF slowdown for batteries are not pointing out just how much market share Tesla has in global battery production. Slowing down isn't all that scary when you make, what, half the world's batteries?

But will they? Recently I heard from an expert on wind energy (and many other things) that windmill noise causes cancer!

Since #45 said it, it must be nonsense. But noise such as that from nearby wind mills is not only a distraction, it can raise your blood pressure (for a suitable definition of 'nearby').

Tesla is a company that has immense growth ambitions. Indications that those are changing and/or limited in any way should be taken seriously.
Yet a company that doesn't blindly throw Capex on new infrastructure and insteads finds ways to gain efficiencies on it's existing infrastructure isn't growing in an even smarter fashion?

They have already met their current production goal, and are finding ways to do even MORE with that investment... in essence fueling growth with less CapEx.

Another example, the ginormous (read 'expensive") Schuler press they brought in: they immediately reworked it (increasing stroke speed, and optimizing conveyor layout) to gain something like a 15% increase in throughput with the same equipment and floor space. Would you rather they didn't do such things and instead just bought more expensive equipment when not yet needed?

Last edited:
Slightly dated: I saw a claim that Tesla's security and alarm system had been compromised this year at pwn2own, but I can't verify it. What appears to have happened is someone tried to and had to withdraw their entry (didn't work out) and someone else compromised the infotainment system.

If anyone has more information about hacks on Tesla's security system I'd love to see it.

https://www.hackread.com/firefox-edge-safari-tesla-vmware-pwned-at-pwn2own/
Tesla car hacked at Pwn2Own contest | ZDNet
Pwn2Own Vancouver 2019: Tesla, VMware, Microsoft, and More

This advertisement thing keeps coming up...
(Few hundred post behind).You can make a great car that advertise itself or you can make a mediocre car and advertise it as a great car. I know which route Tesla picked.

Heck it’s so great of a car that I advertise it to friends and family.

Or you can make a great car and make small strategic advertisements.

So you don't have to have discounts up to $60k.

The choice isn't no advertising or a $3B advertising budget.

Or you can make a great car and make small strategic advertisements.

So you don't have to have discounts up to $60k.

The choice isn't no advertising or a $3B advertising budget.

Instead of advertising, I would like to see leases. I've had 2 collegues who were in the market, liked TSLA, but didn't want to buy because of no lease and high APR for purchases. (I bought my SUV with like 0% interest ...)

Here is a WSJ comment that I would like to reply to before the comments close.

Anyone have any quick data with source links on carbon footprint of Tesla battery manufacturing?

Start reading about Argonne National Labs and the GREET modeling--even if it's too late for WSJ comment period. The comment you want to respond to comes up frequently in a variety of forums.

Slightly dated: I saw a claim that Tesla's security and alarm system had been compromised this year at pwn2own, but I can't verify it. What appears to have happened is someone tried to and had to withdraw their entry (didn't work out) and someone else compromised the infotainment system.

If anyone has more information about hacks on Tesla's security system I'd love to see it.

https://www.hackread.com/firefox-edge-safari-tesla-vmware-pwned-at-pwn2own/
Tesla car hacked at Pwn2Own contest | ZDNet
Pwn2Own Vancouver 2019: Tesla, VMware, Microsoft, and More
No additional information, but I believe they needed access to the car and it's ethernet port. I don't recall anyone doing a remote hack.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba and gene
Hey guys, i just saw the full response from Tesla:

“Both Tesla and Panasonic continue to invest substantial funds into Gigafactory. That said, we believe there is far more output to be gained from improving existing production equipment than was previously estimated. We are seeing significant gains from upgrading existing lines to increase output, which allows Tesla and Panasonic to achieve the same output with less spent on new equipment purchases. However, we will of course continue to make new investments in Gigafactory 1, as needed. Most importantly, contrary to what is implied in this report, our demand for cells continues to outpace supply. It remains the fundamental constraint on Tesla vehicle and Powerwall/Powerpack production.

That bolded line is key.

Would you mind sharing some details from the invoice on exactly what the problem was? I could understand them not covering the 12v battery, but pretty much everything else should be covered under the ESA.

The only part of the invoice that is not zero cost is the 12V battery as part cost + labor cost:

Concern: Customer: states that car will not start - scroll reset had no effect
Corrections: Battery - Auxiliary - 12V - 1st Generation (LHD RWD)
Inspection also found 12v battery had to be replaced since vehicle was completely dead
and it discharged the 12v past saving. Battery could not be recharged. Removed and
replaced battery and verified system operation.
Parts Replaced or Added:
Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR, MS --Pre-Refresh (1083774-00-A): 210.00

Corrections: Electronic Control Modules General Diagnosis

Found HVIL wire corroded. Removed corroded section and replaced section of wiring.
Verified no more alerts present.
Total Job Parts: 210.00
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 285.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay

Perhaps I've just been battered by the last several years of owning TSLA. However, this feels like pure optimism to me. I would be shocked if Tesla does not update the interiors of S & X sometime soon. But Tesla has a history of shocking me. Bloomberg is meaningless to me at this point. Tesla's announced numbers are what matter. The fact that they produced less than 5k cars per week in Q1 is worse than anything I had imagined or modeled for. I can't even invent a bullish scenario for why this occurred. I've taken some large financial beatings in the past with TSLA, but I have never felt badly about my investment thesis. I feel pretty terrible today. Tesla has a lot of explaining to do.

I think we do a disservice to ourselves and each other when we as a group mock and ridicule longtime investors that express these sentiments. Not everyone here loved Hog, but he was a long time TSLA bull. I was sad and uncomfortable in hearing he sold his position out entirely. For the first time I've been debating taking my (six figure) loss in TSLA and tapping out.
I agree that it's somewhat optimistic. At the same time, being able to afford a six figure loss, while not great, is better than not being able to afford a six figure loss. I would love to be in a position where I could afford a six figure loss. I view any investment in a single company as a risky bet. A low cost diversified option, ala Vanguard, is what I would consider investing to be.

I'm certainly guessing about Tesla, but what they're doing smells to me like improving/adding/updating automation. I've worked as a systems analyst in business process automation for the past 6+ years, and there are two trends that have stood out to me. One is that automating processes tends to be harder, more costly, and take more time than people expect. The second is that when automation is in place, it tends to be more effective people expect it would be.

In terms of what Tesla has done and is doing, I think the tent was a great way to push more high margin cars out the door before the end of 18Q4, but I don't think Tesla's going to lean on it as a concept going forward. The significant drops in the 3's price and introduction of the SR version suggest to me that they've largely been successful at automating and optimizing 3 production.

The layoffs from the S/X production lines in the beginning of the quarter and increase in price suggested to me that Tesla was expecting to reduce the S/X production rates. While it's possible they knew in advance Model S/X sales would drop significantly because demand would drop, I think it's more likely they knew in advance Model S/X sales would drop significantly because production would drop, and the most likely thing I can think of that would contribute to that is updates to the S/X and those production lines by Perbix/Grohmann after they started winding down the work they're doing on the 3 lines.

Last but not least, Bloomberg's raw data suggests Tesla went from ~3k 3s/week to 6k+ 3s/week from January to present, which seems like odd behavior for a company having trouble selling cars. In that case I would expect them to produce more initially and then reduce production as it became obvious that demand was weakening. On the other hand, I would expect a company that was updating/improving their production lines to produce cars in that manner.

Don't get me wrong, demand dropping for Tesla's vehicles could be why they've reduced production, but this doesn't feel like that to me.

Last edited: