Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why people like margin so much. Margin is drug. There are two things hurt retail investors the most: Wall Street manipulation and margin. Unfortunately SEC doesn't care.

William O'Neil (a very smart guy) talked about when to use margin, when to avoid it. I suggest everyone read it. Don't argue with O'Neil, just follow his advice.

Only time I ever use margin is when I feel the need to buy right now and have funds to cover it already in transit

I don't understand why people like margin so much. Margin is drug. There are two things hurt retail investors the most: Wall Street manipulation and margin. Unfortunately SEC doesn't care.

William O'Neil (a very smart guy) talked about when to use margin, when to avoid it. I suggest everyone read it. Don't argue with O'Neil, just follow his advice.
Probably because people want to go big but doesn't have the capital to do so?

Conviction plus greedy = margin play.

People lose the most money not on slots but on the table because they think they are in control.

I have recently come around to the thinking that Elon will follow the Bezos playbook and plough all profits into the business in a manner that means there will not be any large earnings reported for quite a few years. That is to say if Tesla starts earning large amount of net income, then Tesla will lower prices to increase volume (if possible) and accelerate the expansion of the service and charging infrastructure.

Which is to say we should perhaps not expect earnings to support the share price via a reasonable P/E multiple.

I tend to agree. It's one of the reasons i used the term "Operating Profit" but should have added "before investing back into the business to provide future growth." I also get the impression to support the mission Elon will funnel back all profits into the business for the next 5 to 10 years to continue to support growth. Amazon executed this strategy brilliantly and I don't if Tesla can do so with the same elegance and support of wall-street. Although Tesla might have to borrow that crusher from GM as if that is the plan they may implode the whole existing auto and shipping industrial complex. Electric mobility operating cost efficiency benefits coupled with autonomy is going to completely transform the transportation industry for both personal mobility but also shipping. Tesla seems well positioned to win this game but it's probably a bit naive this will be winner takes all scenario. The next decade is going to be very interesting indeed.

The explosion of public cloud, software as a service, artificial intelligence systems, re-ignition of the space race, moon base, mars base, mass deployment of space based internet access, fintech and the list goes on and on... So many things all happening simultaneous its hard to imagine what the world is going be like as we enter 2030 once all these stories play out over the next 10 years. It feels a lot like 1999 in 2019.

Regarding the license plate thing in Beijing, the post was deleted by Tesla.

So it’s more complicated than we thought.

The picture in my above post does not mention license plate. It’s only 3 year 0 interest lease for Model 3 LR, LR AWD and Performance (no SR+).

How do you think the Tesla brand is viewed in China? It looks like there is a noticeable drop in average load times per carrier headed to China this quarter compared to last, leading me to believe less cars per ship.

Tesla didn't have a choice and so had to - but it would be foolish to think there won't be safety and synergies in numbers for established makers.

design-by-committee-featured.jpg

camel-horse-committee.jpg

I hope the people buying them are aware of this, otherwise their faith in EV's could be tarnished for a long time :(

Which is why I will NEVER again recommend that someone buy a Nissan Leaf, even if they live in a colder climate. IMO, Nissan has spurned a lot of future EV buyers by delivering a product that is not ready for introduction in a hot climate, and continued/continues to do that for many years after knowing about their battery issue. Too many half-baked weirdmobiles will slow down EV adoption, not accelerate it like Tesla. The poor real world range of the eTron will certainly used in the FUD against all EV's, including Tesla.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that - let's see what Twitter says... I'm happy to retract it if wrong. In any case, it's more important news than most of the anal cyst idiots they bring on their shows.

Agreed.

I sure wish the forum discussion tool could sort by threads, so I could look ahead to see all related comments/suggestions before adding mine. Would make it possible to keep up with what is going on in at least a few contexts without browsing through literally all posts.

Like Tesla youtube channel has a new video about the S refresh. Claims 3 motor design, 350 pound weight decrease, range north of 400 miles.

Just watched that and was going to post. I wasn't sure if it was new information, although I hadn't heard/seen it before anywhere else. Very interesting indeed.

I wonder if all the longs started a policy of randomly taking their shares in and out of margin accounts... find a way to make borrowing shares a little more less predictable... more expensive.
How does one take it out of margin account? When I talked to fidelity rep a while back he said if I switch it to a cash account it will automatically revert back to margin. I don't get it