Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the new Jonas interview: Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

His price target is $272, one of the most bearish ones on the market, yet he remain "equal-weight." How does he reconcile that, asks the interviewer.
Jonas: "The range of outcomes for Tesla very wide." He also blames it on the other people at MS (battery, tech) not giving him the ammo he needs to value it higher.
He says his $500+ bull price target requires 5-6 million vehicles per year by 2030, which is double what they (Morgan Stanley) currently forecast. Remember, Musk is targeting 20M by 2030. So, even if he only gets half-way there, he's still about double Jonas' BULL case.

But, he still doesn't answer the question.

Jonas admits: "Retail investors got this right." Investors today are looking for companies with top notch software talent. Some investors thinking 20-30 years out, which cracks him up because he got flak for running DCS on 4-5 year timeframes a few years ago.

But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars." You need SaaS, full autonomy; especially on autonomy, which is "massively over-hyped" in his view.

He does say that most OEMs hope to be where Tesla was 5 years ago, so an effective 10-year lead for Tesla. Covid turned other OEMs sense of awareness and turned it into urgency. The interviewer should have asked him why he still recommends other automotive OEMs like GM if they're 10 years behind. She didn't.

Jonas is worried about batteries from "the real competition," that being Amazon & Apple. He thinks only half of the 3TwH Musk talked about will go to cars, by 2030, and that's only if they sell drivetrains to other OEMs. I don't think he's doing the KwH per vehicle calculation and multiplying by number of cars.

Jonas did come back with another reason for the low price target: China and data privacy concerns. He pointed out that we wouldn't tolerate a Chinese "autonomous network" operating in Boston, and similarly China won't tolerate a US "autonomous network" operating in China. So, Jonas sees Tesla sales declining in China starting mid-decade and down to zero by 2030. He doesn't say whether the German or other US automakers will have the same problem or not, and the interviewer doesn't ask.

Now, Jonas didn't explain what he meant by an "autonomous network." It sounded to me like he's read too much 5G hype and doesn't realize that Tesla vehicles don't need to connect to the network to drive autonomously. Tesla gathers data to help make their autonomous programming, which is fully contained within the vehicle, better. In China, btw, Tesla shares GPS location data of every vehicle with the Chinese government. So if you're driving a Tesla in China, the government knows where you are.

If I wanted to give Jonas credit, which I don't, I'd say Jonas is talking about the Robo-Taxi network, which does need connectivity, like Uber or Lyft today. But, I don't think Jonas is stupid enough to confuse autonomy with robo-taxi, whereas I do think he's not technical enough to understand how Tesla's autonomy works.

So, there you have it. Jonas has a confusing price target that's $150 below today's price, yet he has an "equal-weight" rating on the stock. That makes no sense - if you think the price is going down significantly, why would you tell your clients to hold the stock? It just shows Jonas really doesn't know where Tesla is going.

Jonas' Bull case is below my Bear case: Tesla only doing 5-6 million vehicles/year by 2030 AND no autonomy, not energy, no storage.

As for autonomy, my view is that the doubters have not seen for themselves how neural nets learn. Karpathy/Musk made a serious mistake (an obvious one, actually) by only labeling static images returned from cars and not being able to label sequences. That's been fixed, so the next question is what else have they missed and what will it take to accommodate that. But, I don't have doubt that Tesla is on the right track to autonomy and that Jonas's "20 year" timeline is just an ignorant garbage number he tossed out and will regret in a few years.

In case you guys were wondering what applying Tesla's battery day slide:

battery-day-slide-png.3428

with a baseline model 3 battery pack, it looks like this:

8JTBU6h.png

What you see above is the end of ICE.

The $/KWh of $108 is from Sandy Munro's estimate. (Same with the $250 for the Bolt)

For instance, a circa 2023/2024 Tesla Model 3 Plaid edition could not only easily be a 850hp monster with 450-500 miles of range, but it would cost less to build than the current M3P! Even with more powerful motors taken into account!

Using the bottom numbers as a baseline, they match up with Plaid S perfectly. You end up with a 630kg battery pack with ~150KWh of storage, 840 KW of power, and a cost of $7,128.

BTW, The 200KWh Roadster pack probably has ~1.1MW of power available!!!!!

Useful chart, but you should perhaps add on what the existing 74KWh pack would cost after all the savings. Yes the prospect of longer range cars with cheaper build costs is exciting, but for many the SR+ is good enough range already and so being able to produce the 74KWH pack at a much cheaper cost is ideal (and also of course the even cheaper pack to go in the $25k model(s).

Based on your estimate above:

74KWh @ current cost: $7,992
74KWh @ 56% discount: $3,516

("Long live the $35k model 3!")

Don't know if this was posted but Elon Musk's interview with NYT. Man did he sound annoyed the first few minutes..lol. Talking about how wallstreet misunderstood battery day, stock price, who he's voting for, space x, etc etc. Nothing really new here, except maybe how he views the president's support for Tesla and how he defended oil and gas.

Opinion | Elon Musk: ‘A.I. Doesn’t Need to Hate Us to Destroy Us’

On the new Jonas interview: Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

His price target is $272, one of the most bearish ones on the market, yet he remain "equal-weight." How does he reconcile that, asks the interviewer.
Jonas: "The range of outcomes for Tesla very wide." He also blames it on the other people at MS (battery, tech) not giving him the ammo he needs to value it higher.
He says his $500+ bull price target requires 5-6 million vehicles per year by 2030, which is double what they (Morgan Stanley) currently forecast. Remember, Musk is targeting 20M by 2030. So, even if he only gets half-way there, he's still about double Jonas' BULL case.

But, he still doesn't answer the question.

Jonas admits: "Retail investors got this right." Investors today are looking for companies with top notch software talent. Some investors thinking 20-30 years out, which cracks him up because he got flak for running DCS on 4-5 year timeframes a few years ago.

But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars." You need SaaS, full autonomy; especially on autonomy, which is "massively over-hyped" in his view.

He does say that most OEMs hope to be where Tesla was 5 years ago, so an effective 10-year lead for Tesla. Covid turned other OEMs sense of awareness and turned it into urgency. The interviewer should have asked him why he still recommends other automotive OEMs like GM if they're 10 years behind. She didn't.

Jonas is worried about batteries from "the real competition," that being Amazon & Apple. He thinks only half of the 3TwH Musk talked about will go to cars, by 2030, and that's only if they sell drivetrains to other OEMs. I don't think he's doing the KwH per vehicle calculation and multiplying by number of cars.

Jonas did come back with another reason for the low price target: China and data privacy concerns. He pointed out that we wouldn't tolerate a Chinese "autonomous network" operating in Boston, and similarly China won't tolerate a US "autonomous network" operating in China. So, Jonas sees Tesla sales declining in China starting mid-decade and down to zero by 2030. He doesn't say whether the German or other US automakers will have the same problem or not, and the interviewer doesn't ask.

Now, Jonas didn't explain what he meant by an "autonomous network." It sounded to me like he's read too much 5G hype and doesn't realize that Tesla vehicles don't need to connect to the network to drive autonomously. Tesla gathers data to help make their autonomous programming, which is fully contained within the vehicle, better. In China, btw, Tesla shares GPS location data of every vehicle with the Chinese government. So if you're driving a Tesla in China, the government knows where you are.

If I wanted to give Jonas credit, which I don't, I'd say Jonas is talking about the Robo-Taxi network, which does need connectivity, like Uber or Lyft today. But, I don't think Jonas is stupid enough to confuse autonomy with robo-taxi, whereas I do think he's not technical enough to understand how Tesla's autonomy works.

So, there you have it. Jonas has a confusing price target that's $150 below today's price, yet he has an "equal-weight" rating on the stock. That makes no sense - if you think the price is going down significantly, why would you tell your clients to hold the stock? It just shows Jonas really doesn't know where Tesla is going.

Jonas' Bull case is below my Bear case: Tesla only doing 5-6 million vehicles/year by 2030 AND no autonomy, not energy, no storage.

As for autonomy, my view is that the doubters have not seen for themselves how neural nets learn. Karpathy/Musk made a serious mistake (an obvious one, actually) by only labeling static images returned from cars and not being able to label sequences. That's been fixed, so the next question is what else have they missed and what will it take to accommodate that. But, I don't have doubt that Tesla is on the right track to autonomy and that Jonas's "20 year" timeline is just an ignorant garbage number he tossed out and will regret in a few years.

"But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars.""

It's amazing how many stupid analysts and investors exist who can't escape the confines of traditional industry economics.

A companies value should first and foremost be based on its own fundamentals, not on that of the average company in the industry it operates.

Using Apples current ~$2 trillion market cap and valuation (35x PE on $57 Billion net income) as the level needed to reach "most valuable company".

If these people can't figure out how Tesla gets to $57 Billion in net income from selling 10-20 million cars at 20% margins, while also having additional large Energy & Services/financial businesses, they are helpless.

Last edited:
Stupid question...why is Tesla getting into Semi's before busses? Seems like busses would be an "easier" challenge compared to Semi's. School busses for example...They have plenty of time they can charge after the morning route and after the afternoon route.

Is there just more profit to be had with Semi's versus busses?

Plus I hate getting stuck behind a school bus and just watch the exhaust pore out. lol

Because they need Semis for themselves first.

If these people can't figure out how Tesla gets to $57 Billion in net income form selling 10-20 million cars at 20% margins, while also having additional large Energy & Services/fiancial businesses, they are helpless.
Jonas is completely worthless, but I don't personally think 2030 automotive sales will lead to anything near that level of profit. IMO Energy will be a far greater contributor to SP 10 years out. FSD could be equally or more valuable, but to me that's separate from extrapolating today's reality of just "selling cars" at high margin.

Hell, we may not even want or need cars by 2030 with the pace that Tesla is changing the world.

I don't want to give anyone a heart attack but for a laugh I just plugged in the 20m cars production figure into my (very high level, not very detailed, full of assumptions and therefore shouldn't be relied upon) spreadsheet, and it gave me a share price of $3,400 and market cap of $3.2tn.

Please forget this as soon as you have read it :)
At 20m cars, the lions share (>>50%) will be the the $25k equivalent Model 2 versions, albeit still profitable, they will be sold at a much lower profit than that of Tesla's current model cars. Be sure to use similar logic in your calculations.

The price you list is retail to replace a Bolt pack, certainly not what GM pays. It was rumored that GM is paying LG $145/kWh at the cell level and $196/kWh for the pack.

GM is paying LG $145/kWh as a package deal where they are buying virtually all the significant electronics from LG. From telematics to motors.

IF Honda, Lucid, or GM want to buy cells only the price per kWh would be much higher.

Showing up is not good enough. Solid State needs to beat

2030 Cell pricing from Tesla
2030 Kwh Cost of Tesla
2030 range
2030 charging speed
2030 production speed

Solid State can really be late to the party when all Tesla cars can go 700 miles and charge the first 400 miles in less than 10 mins at 1/10th the cost and at 100x the production speed. I think once Tesla prove in 2023 they can produce this battery at scale, it'll begin to sink in that Tesla may have killed SS batteries before it was born. The most important spec of battery day is production speed. Lots of batteries out there in a lab that may be better than the new Tesla cell, but if you can't match the speed of production and cost than it'll just remain in the lab. This is why battery day was a game changer. That 7X production speed at half the cost are part of the battery spec which is the hardest to beat(and might be impossible)
the world does not end in 2030 ... you should be a bit more open minded ....Tesla cannot and will not be the only player making batteries and EVs in 2030

At 20m cars, the lions share (>>50%) will be the the $25k equivalent Model 2 versions, albeit still profitable, they will be sold at a much lower profit than that of Tesla's current model cars. Be sure to use similar logic in your calculations.

(Assuming every unit sold is a $25k model with no range or software upgrades)

20 million cars @ $25K ASP x 20% Gross Margin = $100 Billion in Gross Profit

=====

(Assuming a higher ASP from range/software upgrades and millions of Model 3/Y/S/X/R/CT/Semi also sold a year)

20 million cars @ $35K ASP x 20% Gross Margin = $140 Billion in Gross Profit

=====

Add in higher margins and/or large profits from additional higher priced model ranges (vans/buses/light trucks/tunnelpods etc), Energy, services, finance, Robotaxis, future new industries entered etc at your leisure for even higher amount of gross profit.

Last edited:
Today's variable speed heat pumps are just about perfect. Maybe Musk just has a crappy system at home.

What's really missing are innovative ways to make ground source heat pumps in cold climates ubiquitous.

After-hours ramblings:

In 1975 my father was the first in the USA (to the best of my knowledge) to design and install a ground-source heat pump in our new self-built 2500 sq ft 2-story colonial farm home. He mated it to a modified Carrier brand ventilation system. This was in Minnesota (clay soil= bad thermal transfer). Back up heat was a large 2-sided Wilkening-brand fireplace. 2000 sq ft of coiled copper tubing using freon as the medium and buried about 6.5 ft underground. Before attempting this build (and inspired by President Carter putting panels on the WH) he ran the #'s on solar and of course, they didn't compute.

Dad's inspiration for the build came from an 8mm film he checked out from the local library called "Bill Loosley's Heat Pump". Bill was a Canadian engineer who built a similar (but less sophisticated) system for his home and made a film about it.

The house was buried half-way into the hill on our 12-acre horse farm. Heavily insulated (for the time) with tons of excellent South-facing Pella windows, Dad was WAY ahead of his time on this house build. Not bad for an Industrial Arts teacher.

How'd it work in Minnesota winters?? The system was excellent down to about 5-10 degrees. Weeks long average temps below 0 to -20 found it a bit lacking, and we loaded up the fireplace as maintaining interior temps above 45-50 degrees proved challenging without the fireplace.

Summertime needed no A/C as we just blew 50-degree air from the coils into the house. Perfectly comfortable up to about 90+ degrees ambient, a rare event in Minnesota.

My father's attempts to market this product didn't go much farther than a few small ads in the back of Popular Science magazines. Those adds did result in a few design contracts, some as far away as Saudi Arabia.
As far as I know, the system is still working today (freon was removed to a more environmentally-friendly medium before selling the house 20 years ago).