Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have $325,000 in cash sitting on my desk waiting for this 50% recall dip. When's it coming, kids?

similar situation. i bought about $200k during the RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Discount) earlier in the week, but i've still got another $300k looking for an opportunity. :D

How many couches do you guys have?!?

I haven't seen it mentioned, but a bunch of affected S and X vehicles have already had this fixed. My car is one of them (although in the UK, so not sure the recall affects me or not?). About a month ago I paid to have a totally new screen and MCU installed. REALLY glad I did, as the car feels brand new. I knew Tesla would be forced to upgrade that chip eventually, but that wouldn't give me the vastly faster performance and responsiveness, or the extra stuff, like more games, karaoke etc.
So count me as 1 of those recalls that won't have to happen. I'm sure there are others. The model S, especially back then, was being bought by people who could afford the upgrade, like me. A bunch of us didn't think twice about doing it.

It would be ironic for the shorts if in the end this recall is a net positive for Tesla... What other company can say to their clients: "Dear owner, following the recall we can fix your very old and sluggish computer for free... OR for a little additional fee we can replace the whole computer and give you access to Netflix, Youtube, games, and what not!"

So now recalls are possible catalysts for even more profits..

It would be ironic for the shorts if in the end this recall is a net positive for Tesla... What other company can say to their clients: "Dear owner, following the recall we can fix your very old and sluggish computer for free... OR for a little additional fee we can replace the whole computer and give you access to Netflix, Youtube, games, and what not!"

So now recalls are possible catalysts for even more profits..
Yup and you get it back during resell so it's really not much out of peoples pockets.

Last edited:
Didn't read the Electrek comments but I'm seeing some unhappy owners in your link.
Yeah I'm sure. I'd be frustrated. I just really don't trust anonymous comments on places like that.

The bigger the truck....the smaller the part?
That doesn't apply to my Tri Motor 2.9 second 0-60 Cybertruck right? :(

If true, this is bigger than I originally anticipated. This could greatly improve margins on the S & X while freeing up space on the factory floor. Give me a structural battery and this would be a home run.

For it to be structural wouldnt that imply that we should see new Gigapress installation for the Model S, Model X front and rear ends? Wouldnt it be really difficult to hide those?

Reactions: hobbes
My overall TSLA daily strategy for low stress investing:

If up > 20% then smile and thank the investor roundtable again
If up >10% then grin and advise new investors to hold
If +/- 5% then do my day job (which I like)
If down > 10% then look for dry powder
If down > 20% then buy more TSLA

If up > 20% sell puts, consider selling covered call
If up >10% sell puts, consider selling covered call
If +/- 5% enjoy puts and covered calls decaying
If down > 10% roll covered calls closer
If down > 20% start buying LEAPs

It’s unclear if this radar is related or it’s a different radar for a different purpose.

It's most certainly for the occupancy sensor. It's odd Electrek doesn't mention this after they reported on it themselves in August 2020: Tesla applies to add short-range interactive motion-sensing device inside cars - Electrek

Tesla’s device would utilize four transmit and three receive antennas driven by a radar front-end unit. Tesla says millimeter wave radar technology has advantages over other sensing systems like camera-based or in-seat occupant detection systems.

Tesla files to use new 'millimeter-wave radar' in electric cars - Electrek

“The equipment under test (EUT) was an Vehicle Millimeter-wave Radar Sensor operating in 60 GHz band (60-64 GHz).”

"We recently reported on Tesla looking to add a new “4D” radar with twice the range of its previous radar.
It’s unclear if this radar is related or it’s a different radar for a different purpose."

(By Fred)

While super exciting to see, it appears this is the first public step away from Bosch radar. The test report suggests that the EUT (Electronic Under Test) was successful but at a short range. And lets say this tech is great and it gets implemented in Tesla cars, it might not be even apparent to users. What should be apparent is the huge cost savings; something like $200/car max I'm guessing. Wouldn't expect to see this anytime soon though. Maybe Cybertruck?

• Informative
Reactions: capster and UncaNed
It's most certainly for the occupancy sensor. It's odd Electrek doesn't mention this after they reported on it themselves in August 2020: Tesla applies to add short-range interactive motion-sensing device inside cars - Electrek

Yeah, the test calls out a max power limit of 1mW at 20cm with the test unit coming in at 0.14uW. This lines up with the limit for an internal radar. TI presentation on the general tech: https://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyp695/slyp695.pdf

While not this device, 60 GHz can also have advantages for outside sensing. It is attenuated by oxygen molecules (still usable for driving detection distances) so it reduces RF environmental clutter. The higher frequency provides higher resolution for the same antenna size.

If true, this is bigger than I originally anticipated. This could greatly improve margins on the S & X while freeing up space on the factory floor. Give me a structural battery and this would be a home run.

The structural battery was one of several, new improvements revealed on Battery Day. Among the actually many separate improvements, we learned that some would need additional work before being ready for mass production - especially the important dry electrode.

It is important to understand that such development of entirely new technology is not something that can follow any specific timeline - there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns and real risk of delay in getting things to actually work reliably and with precision in mass production.

As such I have to imagine that Tesla has spent time to plan for a more or less piecewise introduction of the revealed improvements, basically a (partial) decoupling of the risks from the various improvements. If not, we could in principle be waiting for all of them until the most delayed one becomes ready.

Since the innovative casting of large parts already seems to be working well, I hope that we will be seeing e.g. a structural battery soon - even if it means that it will be with cells that do not yet incorporate all the other new improvements.

Exciting times ahead.