Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, I think he found that working with the republican party in Texas, in contrast with working with the democratic party in Cali the last few years changed how he will manage going forward.

I mean this all started(the attacks on Elon) all because of the Covid shut down, moving his headquarter to Texas, and bashing California's government/SEC/etc etc. TSLA coming out of the pandemic x15 gave Elon this wealth that also rubbed the democrats the wrong way especially from all the Covid shenanigans.

He found that there's little red tape working in Republican heavy states and can scale his production much much faster than democratic heavy states. Like he said on All-In podcast, Tesla would still be working on the permits if gigatexas happened in Cali.

This plus the constant attacks from the left just made it seem like a no brainer to appease to the party that will help him scale production (this is the only thing Elon cares about btw...everything else is just theater). The product will sell itself because it's just a cleaner product.
Elon does what fits his needs at that moment in time. Not rekindling the Texas/CA Dem/GOP debate, just saying Tesla likely doesn't exist without CA's support. Elon's cold execution is perfectly delightful for me. CA is now a hindrance, so off he goes to TX with no feelings or hesitation.

Is that fair to CA? Who cares. It's what's needed right now for the Master Plan, end of story. We're seeing a lot of Elon's less than perfect human side these days.....and personally I like it. Was getting worried I might be in a cult or something since NOTHING this dude was doing seemed to be "wrong" before the pandemic.

We're in such crap shape in the US right now, there's really no point in arguing who's "best". Everyone is tied for worst.

Therefore this MUST be the bottom! ($702.29 @ 2:35 Eastern 18May2022)

This statement is about investment, my investment, not politics, not my politics.
My investment in TSLA has largely been because of Elon.
So ban me or delete this comment for politics if you wish.
As far as I am concerned it is Elon who is bringing politics into TSLA, Tesla, and the Investment World.
It is Elon that has injected politics (in a poisonous way) into MY investment world. So I will respond in terms of my investment thesis.
Elon is now projecting, and blindly hypocritical.
He is supporting an ideological framework to everything.
He has abandoned civility.
He won't criticize autocrats, only democrats.
He has lost his first-principles thinking, as he has swerved into politics.
His new attitude is not to work toward understanding, but to lash out for vengeance in ways that are infantile and self destructive.
He used to respond well to criticisms, and work toward understanding. No longer.
Where is Elon demonstrating the kindness that he claims the democrats don't have? He himself is acting hateful and fomenting divisions!
He is not showing the respect to others that he would wish for himself.
Elon has now lost my respect. I thought until yesterday it couldn't happen. It has.
I support Tesla and its mission.
But I cannot any longer support Elon.
His recent activity has left me traumatized, honestly.
It's very difficult and painful, as he is validating many of the things that some have said against him.
Family and friends have called me about it. He has been a brilliant engineer and business leader.
His recent public and political words and actions are not brilliant to say the least.
I am embarrassed for him. I can no longer offer any reasonable defense for his antics.
It's no longer just a matter of a difference of opinion.
Elon has lost his sense, his ethics, and his reason.
I will be getting out of all investments involving Elon.

Tell us what improved Tesla position in the nation during the Trump administration? What single policy helped? I can say that the Obama Administration did, I can even say the Bush Administration did. Nothing the Trump administration did helped Tesla. If there is something let us know. Seems to me he just wanted to jab Biden because of the visits by Biden to GM and Ford plants. I said many times Elon should invite Biden publicly to the opening of the worlds largest EV factory. He didnt. Why not? That could have really opened Bidens eyes.

Biden set the bar so low, all the Trump admin had to do was "not interfere" and roadblock Tesla. Which, basically they didn't do. They let Tesla do Tesla.

Nuff said.

I think he's being pretty rational. Big changes will upset people. Tesla is disrupting a large part of the world economy. This is just the backlash from this realization starting to sink in.

This is a little of what I meant when I posted a while back about getting off of fossil fuels being a bit like ripping out our own guts. It is already ugly, and painful. It will continue for years - we've just started the easy stuff (cars and trucks). There is much more to go with those, and so much more to go _beyond_ those.
Truly painful for us here, but especially more so for lots of people who will never have the resources of folks like many of us who own multiple TSLA shares at hundreds of dollars per share.
We (those who see a clean energy future with orders of magnitude more sustainable living than now) are winning if we can stay the course. Our strength is growing; theirs is fading and they have already been throwing all they have at us for years. Their resources are fully committed to the FUD, the bribes, the corruption, the invasions, the oppression in oil producing countries - and even with all that, we have them shaking. Tesla has proven profit can be made, beyond subsidies and in the competitive market (other companies also helping). Many people are already seeing that there are real alternatives.
Our strength only grows from here. A lot of folks have tasted the future and are "all in" (whatever that means to each).
Hold on.
And also no, they can't have my shares.

HODL.

I think this is actually helping the brand. Sure, he's shedding the woke, but most of the country is sick of them anyways. Living in a deep red state, I've never heard more positive things said about Elon than right now.
OK, but how is ticking more than off half your potential customer base a plus for shareholders?
It’s one thing to have a neutral image, its another to needlessly cultivate a negative one that alienates a substantial number of your most likely customers?

Yeah little. Where was all the public bashing. Where was the dementia comments when Trump bragged, and still does at rally's, about passing a dementia screening test. Elon quit and kept quiet. Why? Because Tesla was on the precipice back then. Now he is so sure about Tesla he feels he can just push away investors and customers because his feelings hurt about other companies getting credit and the wealthiest man in the world being used to support higher taxes.

I have 2 sons in software engineering in Austin, a niece who is a chemical engineer in Dallas and her husband is an aeronautical engineer. I used to push for them to apply for positions at Tesla. I cant in good conscious any more and they would laugh at me now if I did.
Receiving Messages like these from high profile officials may change one’s mind in supporting that particular party.

Last edited:
Backlogs don’t last forever. Serious damage to a brand can. I didn’t think we were there until this week. But it’s happening.
Says someone with zero evidence 🥴.

Last time I checked, about half US voted conservative and many millions of Americans consider themselves moderates, neither Democrat or Rupublican.

That's some creative math you got there to say Tesla is losing demand from Democratic consumers while ignoring Republican or Moderate consumers

Nah, I think he found that working with the republican party in Texas, in contrast with working with the democratic party in Cali the last few years changed how he will manage going forward.

I mean this all started(the attacks on Elon) all because of the Covid shut down, moving his headquarter to Texas, and bashing California's government/SEC/etc etc. TSLA coming out of the pandemic x15 gave Elon this wealth that also rubbed the democrats the wrong way especially from all the Covid shenanigans.

He found that there's little red tape working in Republican heavy states and can scale his production much much faster than democratic heavy states. Like he said on All-In podcast, Tesla would still be working on the permits if gigatexas happened in Cali.

This plus the constant attacks from the left just made it seem like a no brainer to appease to the party that will help him scale production (this is the only thing Elon cares about btw...everything else is just theater). The product will sell itself because it's just a cleaner product.
Elon's state of mind......

Elon has been attacked by liberals a lot in the past 24 months. I think he views the accusations of racism (and the lawsuits) as an attack from the liberal side. That, combined with the failure to recognize him in the EV space has been really jading. I am a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, and I see his pain. I believe in honesty and fairness as a primary goal in politics. And for the past six years, honesty has gone away. The idea that the administration can talk about how well GM has done in the EV space without mentioning Tesla really stung. But to me, far worse was having the racial lawsuit against Tesla. Not that there was a loss. But the award amount just boggles the mind. And induces anger. Because it is the failure of a subcontractor, so very hard for them to control, and the punishment for something hard to control with no physical injury is in the hundreds of millions? Paying them 2 million would have undone ALL of the damage they suffered. Then finally, the billionaire bashing that occurs at the SAME TIME he pays record taxes. WTF? It is simply dishonest. You have major public figures saying this that are dishonest. So Elon feels he will never be treated fairly.

Well again I am rambling... but Elon feels there is no justice for him and Tesla. And that is causing him to lash out. I think he has made a mistake by doing so. And I think liberals have made a mistake by making him the enemy. But Tesla's are going to be more and more polarizing the more Elon keeps this up. And that will not be good for sales two years from now.

Goodness, what a lot of fair-weather friends Elon has in this forum.

I see nothing unhinged about his Twitter "rants." He pointed out the hypocrisy of the ESG ratings and the mendacity of Twitter management, and predicted escalation of the ongoing disinformation campaign against him. If you think this is shrinking the enormous paper gains in your brokerage account, then look at the rest of the Nasdaq.

Fair weather? No, I draw the line at siding with right-wing bigotry, regardless of my own financial interest. Elon’s behavior over the last 2 years has become increasingly bigoted and reactionary and Trumpian. Im not a bigot and I’m not a hypocrite, and I am strong enough to take actions based on those principals rather than blindly and cowardly cheerleading evil to just to make a buck.

You are all fools if you think this bigot’s actions won’t strongly affect both the stock price and sales long-term. He’s making Tesla a seriously toxic brand with his open embracement of the bigotry of the GOP.

If he keeps up, he will do tangible damage to the Tesla brand, huge backlogs notwithstanding. And that could affect financial performance down the line.
That’s pretty hard to quantify until there is an actual demand problem. And while he’s alienating some, he’s opened up a different group to the products and one with far less penetration. I’m not a fan of his ranting, but the next 18 months financial performance is the most important thing for the stock.

Says someone with zero evidence 🥴.

Last time I checked, about half US voted conservative and many millions of Americans consider themselves moderates, neither Democrat or Rupublican.

That's some creative math you got there to say Tesla is losing demand from Democratic consumers while ignoring Republican or Moderate consumers
It’s called rational analysis. What states are most Teslas sold in, historically? How does the vote total split in national elections?

I think we're getting close to retail capitulation. The mood is getting real sour among the shareholder base online from what I can see. Elon is doing his best to hurry it along with his grievance antics - piling it on even more today. :rolleyes:

Honestly, he's been pretty tiring for the last 6 months.
With 48 of the top 50 most valuable companies down today (except Exxon and Chevron - grr), and 45 of the top 50 down over the last 30 days, it's more than just Elon waffling about buying Twitter that's messing TSLA. I'm bummed too, but it's not all Elon's fault. (Wow, that's a lot of red!)

1652902871071.png

I think this is actually helping the brand. Sure, he's shedding the woke, but most of the country is sick of them anyways. Living in a deep red state, I've never heard more positive things said about Elon than right now.
And the market would have taken care of them anyway. EVs are going to dominate. Now you will have more people actively looking at EVs saying well Tesla is best, but the Ioniq 5 (or something else) is almost as good and I can get the car faster.

Just thinking out loud here....maybe the snub of Tesla from almost every POTUS speech on EV's has gotten to Elon finally. That and everything seemingly constantly against Tesla and himself. Does he dig his own grave sometimes? Sure, who doesn't? This market is def a waiting game and $TSLA will rocket again in due time....just have to tune out all the short term noise...IMO of course.
Elon is not digging his own grave, he's building his future, same as always.

He can see the political winds are shifting away from D's and towards R's in the next two elections so he's establishing that you do not cross a man as influential as Elon Musk. Dems will lose influence in coming elections and this will cause both parties to suck up to him and catapult him and his companies to the next level of the stratosphere.

Elon does not plan ahead one or two days, he plans for the next 2-5 years. It's difficult for me to watch just how short- sighted so many TMC people have become!

OK, but how is ticking more than off half your potential customer base a plus for shareholders?
It’s one thing to have a neutral image, its another to needlessly cultivate a negative one that alienates a substantial number of your most likely customers?
Here's the thing: I think he is ticking off the far left; who are perhaps 15% of the population? While gaining in approval with the ~50% of the population right of center. This would result in a net gain in potential customer base.

This statement is about investment, my investment, not politics, not my politics.
My investment in TSLA has largely been because of Elon.
So ban me or delete this comment for politics if you wish.
As far as I am concerned it is Elon who is bringing politics into TSLA, Tesla, and the Investment World.
It is Elon that has injected politics (in a poisonous way) into MY investment world. So I will respond in terms of my investment thesis.
Elon is now projecting, and blindly hypocritical.
He is supporting an ideological framework to everything.
He has abandoned civility.
He won't criticize autocrats, only democrats.
He has lost his first-principles thinking, as he has swerved into politics.
His new attitude is not to work toward understanding, but to lash out for vengeance in ways that are infantile and self destructive.
He used to respond well to criticisms, and work toward understanding. No longer.
Where is Elon demonstrating the kindness that he claims the democrats don't have? He himself is acting hateful and fomenting divisions!
He is not showing the respect to others that he would wish for himself.
Elon has now lost my respect. I thought until yesterday it couldn't happen. It has.
I support Tesla and its mission.
But I cannot any longer support Elon.
His recent activity has left me traumatized, honestly.
It's very difficult and painful, as he is validating many of the things that some have said against him.
Family and friends have called me about it. He has been a brilliant engineer and business leader.
His recent public and political words and actions are not brilliant to say the least.
I am embarrassed for him. I can no longer offer any reasonable defense for his antics.
It's no longer just a matter of a difference of opinion.
Elon has lost his sense, his ethics, and his reason.
I will be getting out of all investments involving Elon.

Emotions have no place in investing. Good luck with your future, but I'll stick to holding TSLA because of the fundamentals. I don't care what Elon does or how he behaves, the company and it's products are why I'm a shareholder.