Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend off topic: Please excuse the off topic question.

Going to Maui in a few weeks and looking at rental cars, Model 3's are widely available but I don't know what kind of charging infrastructure to expect. Not many Tesla superchargers so I'm obviously going to be relying on other charging methods. Anyone had any experience? At this point, I'm considering just get a conventional gas vehicle for convenience sake .... yuck!

Thanks, in advance!

Go TSLA
First, @wtlloyd has a helpful idea with the Hawaii forum, but you may not receive a positive response quickly. It's worth a post, though.

In the meantime, check out Tesla's destination charging resource. If you're staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua or in one of the 3 Wailea hotels shown, you're in luck.

Another source is this plugshare map which shows fast and slow chargers on the island. The problem with fast chargers is that they require either Chademo or CCS adapters. It may be worthwhile to contact your rental company on Maui and see if they include (or rent for a fee) such adapters with the cars.

Tesla says a supercharger is coming in Q4 of this year.

My overall feeling is that this situation is an excellent example of why Tesla drivers are going to benefit from Tesla's NACS plug becoming THE most available charging plug in the near future. People will be able to rent a Tesla and plug it in at most any high-speed charger in the U.S. and the rest of North America without the need for an adapter. Good luck!

Superfund sites to clean up the leaking tanks?
There is not enough funds for this. Leaking tanks are just the tip of the iceberg. In Alberta, Canada alone there are >170,000 abandoned oil/gas wells, 7,000 of which are owned by insolvent oil/gas companies. The Province estimates a cost of up to $260B (Canadian) to clean up.

I agree that there could be a rapid fall, but there are a number of significant challenges that would lead to a long tail, not least because any significant reduction in gasoline demand is likely significantly to lower the price of gasoline.
Well, that's astounding, because I would expect falling consumption would sharply ratchet up the pump price.

In the Southern California urban area I grew up in, back when regular (leaded!) was $.27/gal, there were competing stations on 4 corners of most intersections. Vehicles got 10-15 miles/gallon and emission controls were pretty much limited to a PCV valve, which was really more for crankcase breathing anyway.
After 2025, fuel price will lose scale economies at a rate of $1/gal/year, is my expectation. $10/gallon by 2030 if you can find it.
That sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

We'll see.

Last edited:
Last edited:
After 2025, fuel will lose scale economies at a rate of $1/year, is my expectation. $10/gallon by 2030 if you can find it.
It will be interesting to watch for sure; I won't pretend to have any guess as to what will happen. I think until you hit a 20% reduction in gas consumption there are too many variables to really assess. Most of the investments in the oil and gas sector are planned at >20-year life, so time lag might some unexpected consequences.

Me thinks this will end up as a gimmick and not a lot of actual usage, something like the moon roof, but with the added complexity of grime and dirt making it a very high maintenance item, that will essentially lose favor from consumers.
Most trucks that currently have a bed cover rarely remove it, only for items taller than the tailgate. You'll probably want to keep it covered if you hope to get anywhere near the rated range.

It will be interesting to watch for sure; I won't pretend to have any guess as to what will happen. I think until you hit a 20% reduction in gas consumption there are too many variables to really assess. Most of the investments in the oil and gas sector are planned at >20-year life, so time lag might some unexpected consequences.
Yeah, just a W-A guess, but I do expect something dramatic in pricing movement. I also expect the strongest positioned FF company will move strongly to eliminate the competition as demand falls. It will be a bloodbath, and immensely enjoyable.

Me thinks this will end up as a gimmick and not a lot of actual usage, something like the moon roof, but with the added complexity of grime and dirt making it a very high maintenance item, that will essentially lose favor from consumers.
I disagree, because I think this will be a key differentiator to keep contents safe. It will have to work well, even if it need hosing off now and then to keep it clean. If it doesn’t work - as you suggest - it would be a big fail.

I disagree strongly with this. I think the power cover will be a high value feature, especially when compared to Rivian's and all the issues they've had with theirs. :cool:

The biggest function of it is aerodynamics

Wouldn't surprise me if Tesla even put a warning message to the driver once on the highway with it open

Will be interesting seeing range tests with it open and closed

As for parts availability, there are some hard rules for the OEMs to support parts supply for X number of years.

AFAIK the "must provide parts for X years" thing is mostly an urban legend.... Federally anyway they have to have them available during the warranty period in order to be able to make warranty repairs-- but that's it.

And as you suggest, if they go bankrupt they don't even have to do that.

The biggest function is not aerodynamics, though that does add to the benefits.

I sold a pickup that was rarely used and bought a van that gets used all the time. Now that I KNOW the advantages of having ample locking storage I would never buy another pickup truck...

...except for the Cybertruck (which I have on reservation)​

The CT fits the bill for me BECAUSE it has the cover over the load area, and thanks to the bed wall height at the back of the cabin there is room for taller things toward the front. Like the handlebars and front wheel of a mountain bike laying on its side. With the advent of cordless cutoff tools the act of carrying an expensive bike outside, regardless of how many locks you put on it, is just asking for it to be taken with a minute or two of work.

I suspect that the routing of the cover down in front of the bed, to store below, may offer built-in engineering for helping keep it from getting mucked up with leaves and silt as it retracts. Perhaps there will be a brush down there and an open area below so swept debris can then fall to the ground.

About the only advantage to keeping it open that comes to mind is use of the rearview mirror. I will most likely keep it closed for a number of equally compelling reasons. I've always hated how trashy a pickup bed can become by just sitting there open.

Good to see the subtrunk in the CT. Mega Frunk and mega subtrunk in rear. This thing will be a hit. Credits to Chris on twitter

Attachments

• 87A103B2-A3FC-4952-A7D3-2BCDD1C272E2.jpeg
    87A103B2-A3FC-4952-A7D3-2BCDD1C272E2.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 206
I'm reading the Psychology of Money right now and happened upon this that seems like a great read of a speech transcript for those interested in money matters, the economy, and investing:

I'm glad Elon Musk is hell bent on engineering and the act of creation than his wealth. The past few years have gotten me really focused on money matters and I'm looking forward to applying more acts of creation back into my life again.

Edit: Original source link: https://johncbogle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/Georgetown_2007.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone did the route again. Car recognize sign too late and brake hard stopping in the middle of intersection. Even the city knows a human would not react fast enough just from seeing the stop sign, hence added 2 additional warnings. Fsdb either need to add this to the map data or start reading other markings like "stop" painted on the ground.

But we need an exterior view to see where exactly the car stop

Reactions: wipster
But we need an exterior view to see where exactly the car stop
This isn't worth discussing anymore. The only thing we learned is that FSD needs to be able to recognize 'stop sign ahead' signs. Easy fix.

Ross Gerber was a fool for falling for this. He went to O'Dowd's home town and let him pick the route, so he took him straight to an intersection he already knew was a problem. Now Gerber will be the star of the upcoming Dan O'Dowd press tour and ad campaign, and he deserves all of it. This 'FSD Test' offered huge potential downside and no potential upside, but he did it anyway because he loves the limelight.

This isn't worth discussing anymore. The only thing we learned is that FSD needs to be able to recognize 'stop sign ahead' signs. Easy fix.

Ross Gerber was a fool for falling for this. He went to O'Dowd's home town and let him pick the route, so he took him straight to an intersection he already knew was a problem. Now Gerber will be the star of the upcoming Dan O'Dowd press tour and ad campaign, and he deserves all of it. This 'FSD Test' offered huge potential downside and no potential upside, but he did it anyway because he loves the limelight.
That guy is a constant overhang. Bless his heart