Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This rather Boring announcement really lights my fire.

It is on the way. Yay!

Hey Burnt Bunch,

We've burned through nearly all available puns by now so we'll get straight to the point: shipping is finally hair!

That's right, your bottle may already be on its way to you by the time you read this email. International shipments will take slightly longer to arrive.

Smell you soon,
Team Burnt Hair

While I agree with this, I find it equally ridiculous when people here claim a gas fillup takes 20 minutes.
It can be faster, but is it usually? Certainly not for all of the people I see lined up waiting, idling their engines, in line to get cheap gas at discounts locations like grocery stores and Costco.

On a trip they probably would pay higher prices to not wait, but even then there are very few people that actually do 5 minute fill ups. Certainly not in Oregon where you have to wait for an attendant to get to starting/stopping your fueling. (Though I think that may be changing soon.)

This rather Boring announcement really lights my fire.

It is on the way. Yay!

Hey Burnt Bunch,

We've burned through nearly all available puns by now so we'll get straight to the point: shipping is finally hair!

That's right, your bottle may already be on its way to you by the time you read this email. International shipments will take slightly longer to arrive.

Smell you soon,
Team Burnt Hair

Any particular event coming up that could be a reflection of things burning? 🤔 🥸

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Although the Frontline program based upon the following ProPublica article is only Tesla-adjacent,
it's shocking to still see deliberate underreporting of truck "underride" disasters. The industry in the US
won't install sideguards until the statistics are hardened enough to provide cost-benefit analyses.
I imagine that Teslas on highways have evasive strategies of how not to get squeezed (off the road
or otherwise) by 18-wheelers this way:

In 1974 the US Department of Transportation had a "Truck and Bus Fuel Economy Program". An old friend of mine ran that program. They were advocating requiring the side skirts to save fuel. In tests that found accidents went down too. At the same time a congressional report was made:

Study of potential for motor vehicle fuel economy improvement. Truck and Bus Panel report No. 7. Special Congressional report, Jun--Oct 1974​

The crisis ended and the program was disbanded 1981 , with no real action having been taken. The absurdity of that was then astounding since the safety benefits were transparently obvious, the cost reductions were equally obvious. However, the entire project was viewed by some influential people as an intrusion in free commerce.

Cost-benefits were substantial but the trucking industry really, really has been very resistant to change. Even fuel efficiency and pollution controls were legally evaded by use of 'Glider' trucks, complete chassis without engine, so buyers installed old non-emission controlled engines in new trucks.

That industry is appallingly antiquated in the US.

(opinions may differ, these are mine. Credit to the late William F. Freeman who taught me all I know about all this)

While I agree with this, I find it equally ridiculous when people here claim a gas fillup takes 20 minutes.
If we are talking about Interstate travel, since that is where there is the most Supercharger use, and you count the time from when you exit the Interstate, wait at the light at the end of the ramp, find an open pump, swipe your credit card, pump your gas, collect your receipt, get back down the road to the onramp, and then you stop the timer at the end of the ramp, I think you could easily be close to 20 minutes, especially if someone in your car had to pee or waited in line to buy snacks for the trip. We are NOT talking about pumping gas at your neighborhood gas station that you pass every day.

Or you live in New Jersey where there is no such thing as self serve gas stations and only 1 attendant for 10 gas pumps.
Can anyone explain to me this petrol (gas) station attendant thing. And the other whole business of having to walk in to the cashier, get your card swiped, then go out and fill up.

Not only does it seem utterly random - as in, you never know what to expect until you've been to any given gas station before - but it is soooo antique.

(and seems to assume every single USian is a criminal)

Can anyone explain to me this petrol (gas) station attendant thing. And the other whole business of having to walk in to the cashier, get your card swiped, then go out and fill up.

Not only does it seem utterly random - as in, you never know what to expect until you've been to any given gas station before - but it is soooo antique.

(and seems to assume every single USian is a criminal)
In New Jersey and I think Oregon customers are not allowed to touch the gas pump for supposed safety reasons. You sit in the car and wait for someone to ask what you need. If they have card readers at the pump you give them a credit card. The attendant is doing a loop to all the pumps in most cases it takes him maybe 10-15 minutes to cover the loop of all the customers filling at anyone time. Most times you end up waiting 5 or more minutes for someone to get to your car and then another 5 minutes or so after it is finished for them to take the nozzle out. Some locations have not invested in readers at the pump so it is even slower as they need go back to some central location to process payment.

The state has tried to allow self serve several times but many people protest that they do not want to get their hands dirty and about all the attendant jobs that would be lost. It's just nuts. Just so glad I don't need to deal with it anymore.

Last edited:
Joe Tegtmeyer reporting on Twitter that Giga Texas is likely going to pause for retooling. Ultimately increasing model y output after the retooling.

My speculation: Tesla is going to move model Y production from Fremont to Texas. Would coincide with reports of them demolishing the ga4 line at Fremont (which produces Y and not 3 from my understanding.) people have speculated previously that the demo would be related to Highland 3 but that wouldn’t have made sense if it was ga4 getting shut down.

In New Jersey and I think Oregon customers are not allowed to touch the gas pump for supposed safety reasons. You sit in the car and wait for someone to ask what you need. If they have card readers at the pump you give them a credit card. The attendant is doing a loop to all the pumps in most cases it takes him maybe 10-15 minutes to cover the loop of all the customers filling at anyone time. Most times you end up waiting 5 or more minutes for someone to get to your car and then another 5 minutes or so after it is finished for them to take the nozzle out. Some locations have not invested in readers at the pump so it is even slower as they need go back to some central location to process payment.

The state has tried to allow self serve several times but many people protest that they do not want to get their hands dirty and about all the attendant jobs that would be lost. It's just nuts. Just so glad I don't need to deal with it anymore.

Oregon just abolished that law. It's now just NJ alone.

If we are talking about Interstate travel, since that is where there is the most Supercharger use, and you count the time from when you exit the Interstate, wait at the light at the end of the ramp, find an open pump, swipe your credit card, pump your gas, collect your receipt, get back down the road to the onramp, and then you stop the timer at the end of the ramp, I think you could easily be close to 20 minutes, especially if someone in your car had to pee or waited in line to buy snacks for the trip. We are NOT talking about pumping gas at your neighborhood gas station that you pass every day.

To be fair, if you're counting the time to exit the interstate and get to/from the gas station, then that ought to be included in the supercharger time as well.

But, that really makes it a much more fair comparision and the real difference in the time involved gets smaller. Instead of comparing a "5-minute fillup" to a "20-30 minute charge" you're instead comparing the total time for each vehicle to get to/from the interstate...and the electric car gets a couple items on the schedule "for free."

For a gas car: the 20 minutes might include from the time you exit the interstate, get to the gas station, get to the pump, activate the pump, wait a few minutes for the gas to fill, detach, park somewhere else (unless you're rude), go inside to hit bathroom/get snack, get back to car, and back to interstate. ADd more time if you're one of those that goes inside to activate the pump, then again to go inside and pay before moving the car.

For the electric car, you don't need to move the vehicle, and you can do the bathroom/snack while the charging happens. And, at a supercharger station, no need to spend that extra minute paying at the pump...and no electric car driver ever needs to "go inside" to activate the pump and/or pay. So that 20-30 minute charge only gets the driving time to/from the interstate added on.

So, a real pit-stop comparison time might be 20 minutes for the gas car and 25-35 minutes for the electric car...which is much more similar than the famed "5 minutes vs. 30 minutes" comparison.

Of course, there are a few folks who claim they manage to never leave the vicinity of the vehicle to even stretch their legs, so their gas-car pit stop could be shorter...but those people might want to consult with their doctor about the health risks associated with sitting in a car for 10 hours, and only exiting for seconds at a time to activate a gas pump. If the only goal is to "make good time," with no concern for health or comfort or safety or looking at something interesting, then for these people a gas car is still probably the "right" choice.