Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla updating Model S headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removed: front radar. Tesla vision only from now on.

Get ready for jerkier Autopilot that also restricts your top speed to 80mph…
I haven't had any real issues with vision only in the MS (FSD Beta is vision only). Out of all the driving, I've had maybe 3 phantom brakes and it was all coming over a hill where it couldn't quite see. The MY I was driving for a while was vision only and dealt with AP just fine. I will say, max 80 sucks. I had to use accelerator when in AP and went over 80 and it freaked out and put me in AP jail for the rest of my trip lol.

You should give your local delivery center a call and ask them the birth date for your VIN. They'll be able to tell you at least that much...

When I contacted Tesla that day, they told me all Plaid models that were assigned a VIN had the new lights as they did not have any inventory that they were matching to orders. I don't trust that unfortunately so will just have to wait and see - will know here next Wednesday.

Reactions: WilliamG
When I contacted Tesla that day, they told me all Plaid models that were assigned a VIN had the new lights as they did not have any inventory that they were matching to orders. I don't trust that unfortunately so will just have to wait and see - will know here next Wednesday.
They still should be able to provide you birth date of the car…

Reactions: BostonBurley
new_headlights_no_more_radar.gif

Nope. Tesla sells new vehicles.

They don’t like offering retrofits for old ones. I’m sure they will sell you the parts but you are own your own to install and make them work with your vehicles software. I can guarantee there will be no officially supported retrofit program.

When “some guy on the internet” said Tesla was clearing out the old inventory, that means for the production line only. It does not mean replacements for the old style headlights no longer exist.

Unfortunately with Tesla, all too often it's hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Reactions: BostonBurley
The current headlights are rated poor by the NHTSA. They are not good on low beam illumination. High beam is OK. The new ones are matrix LED headlights, and couldn't be any worse. Should be much better, depending on how much of the matrix they can use in US.
hmm, i just picked up a 2022 model, drove it from NM to san diego, through the night, and to me the normal headlights were more than suitable. I did have the auto highbeam function on for a while but did not feel like i needed it even during the more darker sections of my trip.

hmm, i just picked up a 2022 model, drove it from NM to san diego, through the night, and to me the normal headlights were more than suitable. I did have the auto highbeam function on for a while but did not feel like i needed it even during the more darker sections of my trip.
My bad. It was the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), not NHTSA that tested the lights. Overall rating: Poor.
Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
The low beams created some glare.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I really think the the lights on my 2021 refresh Model S are good. Awesome they are getting better or at least sounds like they are and we will know once tested. I don’t get the reviews on how they are poor on low beams and I don’t live in a city area either.

If they are a lot better - hope we are able to replace them or can always sell my current Tesla and get the newer one. Price has barely gone down from new 3 months ago on used car market for LR with 19’s.

On this topic, it looks like NHTSA just approved in February using the full benefits of the matrix technology on new cars. They should be a big improvement on the refresh, refresh Teslas.
Yes, but they have something like a year to draft the actual rules/regs before anything changes, so don't expect immediate benefit.

Reactions: DerbyDave
My bad. It was the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), not NHTSA that tested the lights. Overall rating: Poor.
Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
The low beams created some glare.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

Confirms what I've thought. My 2021 plaid has worse headlights than my 2018 model 3:

Reactions: WilliamG
Just to note, the headlights on my 2012 are outstanding. Hoping you get the refresh lights back then wasn’t such a bonus, as facelift lights aren’t as bright.
@BostonBurley Seriously? The headlights on my January 2013 S P85 feel like oil lamps compared to the LED pixel headlights on October 2021 M3P. The difference on dark country roads is...night and day. Is something wrong with my S headlights that could be fixed with new parts?

To be fair, I don't recall ever thinking that my S headlights were worse than my previous cars (none of which had fancy headlights). Just they were more of the same. Whereas my first drive on rural roads at night in the M3P was like WOW! 🤯 My wife felt the same way. We were convoying with both cars so we had a very direct comparison.

Confirms what I've thought. My 2021 plaid has worse headlights than my 2018 model 3:

That's correct. It was a serious wake-up call going from my 2019 Model 3 (which wasn't even matrix LEDs) to the 2021 Model S Plaid. Unless people have had experience with both, they don't know what they're missing. The Model S headlights are objectively crap. A lot of people are just used to crap headlights, - that's the issue. Don't get me wrong, there are cars with worse headlights, but very few in this price range.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2