Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Will Move HQ Out of California After Fight Against Health Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California. Additionally, Tesla plans to file a lawsuit against Alameda County over a health order that shut down the Fremont, Calif. facility.

Tesla planned to return to production on Friday, however Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan said that Tesla must keep the plant closed until the county lifts restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Musk said the suit will be filed “immediately.” He called Pan “ignorant” for keeping the restrictions in place despite California Gov. Gavin Newsom loosening the stay-at-home order.

“This is the final straw,” Musk tweeted. “Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.”

The tweet suggests that Tesla’s next factory is set to be built in Texas. Musk has teased the Lone Star State as the home for the next factory and an announcement was expected soon.

Tesla’s factory in Fremont has 5.3 million square feet of manufacturing and office space on 370 acres of land, with plans to expand to 10 million square feet, according to the company’s website.

There are 10,000 employees at the Fremont factory who build the Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilariously wrong. Higher quality of life ? I mean just looking at Tesla ownership can tell you where people have a higher quality of life. Not to speak of the unlimited job opportunities and pay raises in CA. And I didn’t even mention access to unbelievable nature, or the best food scene, or wines etc etc. And if Texas is so business friendly, why does it lag 100x behind CA when it comes to venture funding ? Uber, Lyft, Pinterest, Airbnb, Slack, a bunch of EV automakers, food innovation, energy, health care, every meaningful startup is here. I believe CA companies received $350bn in VC capital in last 10 years and 50% of VC investments. Texas is doesn’t even make the top 5 list and <$10bn invested

What have you got to show for it? Crap in the streets and homeless everywhere. The current political climate is the problem, and too many people. Look, there are a lot of great things there I agree, but recent trends clearly show what is in store. Tesla is leaving and that is big, and it's not over just a trifle. You quote your non-supported claims and numbers and lists, but just explain why it is the biggest exodus state in the union. And yes, the quality of life here is far superior, that does not come from me that comes form all the Ex- San Franciscans that live all around me, now have big yards and their own EV chargers. What good is more money if you can't afford a house. And houses are not 2 million here, so the income disparity you speak of means nothing.

You like California? Stay there, please.

Its all changing, I wish they would stay there, but no. California is going to have to elect better politicians to regain their greatness.

Changing by what metric ? Can you point to some ? Surely, VC numbers should be declining in CA then and growing in Texas. In fact, it is the opposite. The gulf between CA VC investment and Texas is actually growing. Austin has been reduced to a bit player despite the hype. There is only 1 or 2 unicorn in Texas compared to over 50 just in Bay Area. Companies that I referenced are only 5-10 years old. The only other two areas with significant VC dollars are also in deep blue states - NY and Washington.

What have you got to show for it? Crap in the streets and homeless everywhere. The current political climate is the problem, and too many people. Look, there are a lot of great things there I agree, but recent trends clearly show what is in store. Tesla is leaving and that is big, and it's not over just a trifle. You quote your non-supported claims and numbers and lists, but just explain why it is the biggest exodus state in the union. And yes, the quality of life here is far superior, that does not come from me that comes form all the Ex- San Franciscans that live all around me, now have big yards and their own EV chargers. What good is more money if you can't afford a house. And houses are not 2 million here, so the income disparity you speak of means nothing.

You like California? Stay there, please.

Here, read up on VC dollars: California bad for business? But it’s No. 1 for investment in young companies

Here, see some nice visuals by PWC PwC/CB Insights MoneyTree Explorer

Yes, I am happy to stay here

you texas guys are a laugh.

it just shows the great divide between the ideologies.

been in the bay area over 25 years in a mix of hw and sw and I know of NO ONE that has left for a new tech job in the 'business friendly states'. people have retired there, for lower cost of living, but for hot job prospects, no, they don't. that's a myth that a lot want to believe, but is just plain untrue.

california is expensive, but people continue to flock here for jobs and companies continue to employ here. there is a reason that progressive thinkers like being here.

if you are a company looking to abuse your workers and screw over the environment, yeah, go find somewhere else. we don't want that kind of company here and we do quite well without them.

Here, read up on VC dollars: California bad for business? But it’s No. 1 for investment in young companies

Here, see some nice visuals by PWC PwC/CB Insights MoneyTree Explorer

Yes, I am happy to stay here
Okay from a certain perspective you are correct, but everything is not about money and investing, or new startups, and California is twice as big so of course the numbers are bigger, but as the articles states Texas does well also as do other states. You have to consider some of the other factors I listed that your perspective does not include, including lower taxes and lower costs, and schools. Many people come here to the Austin area for schools, if you have kids that matters. Its really a subjective thing anyway but its silly, just silly to think Tesla can only find the talent they need in California. Come on...

In Texas:
Properly Funded Public Schools

religion has WAY too much influence in that state. it adversely affects education. kids grow up missing a lot due to the backwards views of many who control education in texas, sad to say.

Right to Work - unions have no power to stranglehold

code words for "employers have all the power; hope you don't need anyone to speak up for YOU when they step on you"

that's exactly why I'll never, ever, take a job in texas or move there. that attitude does not attract the kind of people you really need, and its almost funny that you don't even see it.

those that want workers rights won't move to texas. they stay in progressive states. funny how that works.

you texas guys are a laugh.

it just shows the great divide between the ideologies.

been in the bay area over 25 years in a mix of hw and sw and I know of NO ONE that has left for a new tech job in the 'business friendly states'. people have retired there, for lower cost of living, but for hot job prospects, no, they don't. that's a myth that a lot want to believe, but is just plain untrue.

california is expensive, but people continue to flock here for jobs and companies continue to employ here. there is a reason that progressive thinkers like being here.

if you are a company looking to abuse your workers and screw over the environment, yeah, go find somewhere else. we don't want that kind of company here and we do quite well without them.
But you are okay with sh*t in the streets? Or was that a lie too? I am glad you are happy and good luck. It is indeed an ideological issue, and it look like Elon has ditched Cali.

religion has WAY too much influence in that state. it adversely affects education. kids grow up missing a lot due to the backwards views of many who control education in texas, sad to say.

code words for "employers have all the power; hope you don't need anyone to speak up for YOU when they step on you"

that's exactly why I'll never, ever, take a job in texas or move there. .

Your rambling is a bit hard to follow but Thank you.

I work in this field, in software, for electric cars.

NO ONE I know wants to move out of the bay area.

sorry, but you are not connected to reality, my friend. manufacturing - blue collar style - that's not what california's strong point is. and that's NOT the value of tesla. tesla's value is entirely in the IP, not the sheet metal and assembly plants. yes, assembly can be done anywhere and much cheaper than the bay area. no argument there.

but to think that you can just find the calibre of person who can add value to tesla's design teams - those people want to be able to change jobs and ALL the electric car jobs are in the bay area, with very few exceptions.

only college hires and freshers would move to a non-bay area company for tesla. and if that's all tesla can get, good luck even maintaining the code base they have now. experienced people simply will not do it.
News flash: guy from Bay Area doesn’t understand there is a world outside of the Bay Area.

that's exactly why I'll never, ever, take a job in texas or move there. that attitude does not attract the kind of people you really need, and its almost funny that you don't even see it.

those that want workers rights won't move to texas. they stay in progressive states. funny how that works.
You have the right to work for another company or yourself if you dont like the way you are being treated.

I was about to buy a model X and I was registered for a truck. Canceled the truck and now there is no way I am buying an X. This is what CA gave him along with tech grads and a factory for a big discount back when people in Texas and Florida called him a hack for making eV's.

Good luck selling another car in CA. We were your number 1 customer now we will buy VW ID3's.

China gigafactory is closed also. Will he find a place where folks are OK to spread disease that maims/kills at a rate high enough to possibly clog hospitals if folks run rampant? A disease that can take down a healthy marathon runner He ran marathons and was fit. So why did Covid-19 almost kill him? - STAT ? Why can he not wait a few more weeks for contact tracing to be ready? Too much caffeine in his system? Were libertarians the ones to curb air pollution and note global warming? Calm down Elon!

Reactions: stevemc
As much as I'm no fan of overbearing gubment, I'm having a hard time siding with Elon on this.

1. California showered Tesla with tax credits. As a state, they care about the well being of their people and environment, and protecting people in face of COVID, is part of that innate nature of California. He had no issues taking those tax credits, he should have no issues letting people stay home.
2. Elon's latest payout was $700million. Let's be honest, it was built on the backs of his employees and loyal fanbase customers. 10k employees, that translates to 70k/employee. Not as a company, but as an individual, he can easily let them stay home another month, two, or 6. Yet, this mad pressure to send them back to work?
3. Ok seriously, even if they did produce loads of cars, right now, who is under the urgency to buy one? Nobody's driving at the moment.
4. Surely there must be a middle ground - limited open, use the opportunity to restructure, introduce optimizations, work with the authorities to ensure people are not put at risk ..

Elon is being a baby.

I was about to buy a model X and I was registered for a truck. Canceled the truck and now there is no way I am buying an X. This is what CA gave him along with tech grads and a factory for a big discount back when people in Texas and Florida called him a hack for making eV's.

Good luck selling another car in CA. We were your number 1 customer now we will buy VW ID3's.
Who tf are you to speak for all Californians? I’ll never buy a VW

As much as I'm no fan of overbearing gubment, I'm having a hard time siding with Elon on this.

1. California showered Tesla with tax credits. As a state, they care about the well being of their people and environment, and protecting people in face of COVID, is part of that innate nature of California. He had no issues taking those tax credits, he should have no issues letting people stay home.
2. Elon's latest payout was $700million. Let's be honest, it was built on the backs of his employees and loyal fanbase customers. 10k employees, that translates to 70k/employee. Not as a company, but as an individual, he can easily let them stay home another month, two, or 6. Yet, this mad pressure to send them back to work?
3. Ok seriously, even if they did produce loads of cars, right now, who is under the urgency to buy one? Nobody's driving at the moment.
4. Surely there must be a middle ground - limited open, use the opportunity to restructure, introduce optimizations, work with the authorities to ensure people are not put at risk ..

Elon is being a baby.
1. Tesla getting tax breaks or credits doesn’t mean the state owns them. California cares about protecting people? LOL! Give me a break! Where was the lockdown during the H1N1 pandemic?

2. What is it about liberals and their love for counting other people’s money? The fact is he’s right, why is the government getting to choose who gets to eat and who doesn’t? You scared of covid? Stay home. Quit your job and stay home.

3. nobody is driving at the moment? I don’t know about that, I see lots of cars on the road, which means lots of people are driving. Car sales are down, but that doesn’t mean no one is buying cars. Heck look at the model s forum and you’ll see a few threads of new users who just ordered a model s.

4. You want middle ground? So does Elon, in fact he gave the employees the option of staying home if they didn’t feel safe coming to work. How much more of a middle ground can you ask for?