Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y & towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this for those looking at Model Y towing.
"
Trailer Towing:

The maximum trailer weight (including all cargo and additional equipment), and the trailer tongue weight depend on the number of occupants in your vehicle and the tires being used. The maximum towing capacity and trailer tongue weight must never exceed the following:

5 or Fewer Occupants

20" Tires

Maximum Towing Capacity: 3200 lbs (1451 kg) *

Maximum Tongue Weight: 320 lbs (145 kg)*

*You must operate within the speed limitations of your trailer and tires. Always obey posted speed limits and local regulations regarding speed."

Tesla Model Y Trailer Mode For Future Update

Reactions: smcginnis
It's what's behind that panel that counts. :) We'll know soon enough.

Curiosity killed the towing cat....
There is nothing there, nada!

Hopefull for future versions, but for us early adopters...emptiness. :eek::(:mad:o_O

20200319_173954.jpg
20200319_174035(0).jpg
20200319_174016.jpg
Screenshot_20200319-175700_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-180733_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200319-180858_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:
The question is, for someone that's installed an aftermarket hitch on a model 3, does it look like the same mounting as a 3 stealth hitch? I'm thinking this would require removing the bumper, but If so then I would imagine we will see aftermarket hitches pretty soon.

It would be nice if Tesla would just come out and tell us if/when a factory hitch will be available. If not, they should allow aftermarket hitches and let people pay to have tow mode enabled in the software.

Reactions: lnsh
Does Tesla really think not having a cuv/suv without a hitch option in US is ok? Am hoping they figured first out door will be performance models which I can see less desire having a hitch. With factory shut down, hopefully now have time to get the hitch in production. Otherwise no hitch and sketchy roof rack ( model 3 cracking roof glass problems?) a huge problem for me.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Looks like we'll have to wait for someone to pull the whole bumper off to see if there's any possibility of this. If there's no unused connector on the harness for the towing electricals, this probably won't be available as an after-purchase option.

The crash bar mount looks sunken into the frame, which might make aftermarket support tricky too.

Looks like we'll have to wait for someone to pull the whole bumper off to see if there's any possibility of this. If there's no unused connector on the harness for the towing electricals, this probably won't be available as an after-purchase option.

The crash bar mount looks sunken into the frame, which might make aftermarket support tricky too.
There are also potential liability issues if you get in an accident while towing beyond the manufacturer's stated weight limits (which at least right now for the Y are zero).

Are you sure the frame can handle what you are planning to tow?

There are also potential warranty issues. Certainly within the realm of possibility Tesla could reject a powertrain warranty claim because you were towing, or reject an electrical system warranty claim because you tapped into the Y's electrical system to power the trailer lights.

There are also potential liability issues if you get in an accident while towing beyond the manufacturer's stated weight limits (which at least right now for the Y are zero).

Are you sure the frame can handle what you are planning to tow?

There are also potential warranty issues. Certainly within the realm of possibility Tesla could reject a powertrain warranty claim because you were towing, or reject an electrical system warranty claim because you tapped into the Y's electrical system to power the trailer lights.
This has all been discussed upthread, but speaking just for myself, yes I'm sure the frame can handle a bike rack. I'm less sure it can handle the corrosion issues that have plagued Model S installations. But the harness connector tucked behind the bumper somewhere would at least tell us if Tesla plans to offer post-sale installation like they do for Homelink, or if these vehicles will never have factory towing.