Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here? [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An AS-IS sale just means that the dealer does not warrant it. Legally speaking, it is still fraud to claim that a car had a feature that it doesn't have, whether it is sold AS-IS or not. And the burden of proof is on the dealer to show that Tesla provided them with false information; if they did, then Tesla is guilty of fraud. Either way, one of the two committed fraud, and determining which one made the mistake is what discovery is for.

Just saying.

I agree that there can possibly be fraud. But the OP said there is no written documentation between Tesla and the auction house, or between the auction house and the non-Tesla dealer, or between the non-Tesla dealer and the OP as to the features included on the car. The parole evidence rule generally precludes the entry of oral evidence that has not been reduced to writing. So if one sued you would likely get into a pissing contest of he said, you said, and likely spend way more in legal fees than the cost of the software.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
I respectfully disagree. See, for example, Tesla FSDC (Full Self-Driving Computer) , which indicates that FSDC (Full Self-Driving Computer) is the processor which received the name "completely independent computer" in the company. FSDC is the hardware. FSD is the software.
So basically you’re arguing and making irrelevant distinctions because a new owner put a “C” in the title of their thread?

This is an irrelevant distraction. The context of the thread is quite obviously related to the removal of the software features. You are conflating hardware/software and stating things as fact that are simply not true and needlessly confusing the matter at hand.

So basically you’re arguing and making irrelevant distinctions because a new owner put a “C” in the title of their thread?

This is an irrelevant distraction. The context of the thread is quite obviously related to the removal of the software features. You are conflating hardware/software and stating things as fact that are simply not true and needlessly confusing the matter at hand.
I respectfully disagree.

It turns out the OP has no gripe with FSD. His gripe is that Tesla removed Summon and NoA. No one has full self driving today. But when his car was made in 08/2017, Summon and NoA was a part of EAP, which was included in his car. After he bought the car, the car was downgraded to regular AP, and he lost these two features which now requires the full self driving software.

So the question boils down to whether it was proper for Tesla to downgrade EAP to regular AP, taking away Summon and NoA from the OP As I indicated in other posts, I feel it hurts the brand nane what Tesla did, but their official public policy is that they do that. I don’t like it, but I believe their licenses indicate that at least some features like full self driving software exist only as long as the purchaser owns the car.

• Informative
It turns out the OP has no gripe with FSD.
Of course they do, that’s the topic of this thread. This is made up.
His gripe is that Tesla removed Summon and NoA.
And FSD, which OP has been quite clear about. Again, this is made up.

No one has full self driving today.
Many people have paid for it, and many features are now exclusive to the package. This is made up.

But when his car was made in 08/2017, Summon and NoA was a part of EAP, which was included in his car.
I’m well aware. I own such a car and bought it new.

After he bought the car, the car was downgraded to regular AP, and he lost these two features which now requires the full self driving software.
Yes, he “lost these two features” because Tesla removed both the $5k EAP feature AND the $3k FSD feature that were purchased with the car when new.

but I believe their licenses indicate that at least some features like full self driving software exist only as long as the purchaser owns the car.
FSD software has never had such a “license”. This is made up.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60 and israndy
My car (2015 P85D) has EAP. I bought it used in May.
If Tesla reached into my car today and changed it to regular AP because that is their current stated policy I feel pretty confident I would have a case against them.
I feel like I understand the points on both sides that are being made.
I keep coming back to the rims analogy. The Monroney may show the rims that were delivered when new, but don't guarantee that they stay with the car for life. If I wanted to change the rims on my car, I can do that anytime, and there is no guarantee to a future buyer that they are entitled to the original rims. But I can not go swap those rims 3 days after I sold the car. The buyer doesn't need written proof that I promised the rims - they were on the car when they bought it. I can't claim that it's my policy, stated or otherwise as justification to take those rims back. If I meant to keep the rims but failed to swap them before I gave away the keys, then that's on me.

This thread lends more credence to making FSD a user/individual purchased option portable in login form to any Tesla that supports the feature. Loaner? Rental? HW2+? FSD/EAP sub? Enabled on login.

This being said: I will not be buying FSD for the time being on our new Model Y. AP will have to do until these things are resolved.

The nasty bit in all this is that it appears the car did have FSD at the time the OP looked at it, and it was only later revoked. This is pretty bad (well, awful really) on Tesla's part; if they are going to de-content a car for resale, they should do it before they part with it

Somehow I missed a bunch of posts in this thread. I think they were coming so thick and fast!

Having seen the window sticker and Tesla's dated response about removing features after they had sold the car, all I can say is I don't know what more the OP could have done. Only with hindsight can one say that at the first sign of features changing before completing the transaction, the OP should have said 'not buying until car has exactly features I'm expecting', but even if that had happened, or if Tesla had been a little slower in removing features, the question would still stand 'can Tesla make good on corrections to specs especially using OTA after Tesla have sold the car.'? (obviously involving downgrade in spec).

My choice was to buy directly from Tesla purely to reduce the risks exposed here and make it a slightly clearer transaction were things to go wrong.

Have there been any similar situations when LFUSC started getting stripped by Tesla? Clearly there are cases where cars were sold / pex' d with lifetime free charging, that would have transfered to subsequent owners, but then the game rules got changed by Tesla for their benefit and to the loss of some dealers holding cars and affected owners.

And the question that clearly needs addressing is what Tesla's rights are if THEY sell a car with certain features active and with no way of a buyer being able to find out reliably if and how the stated spec could be incorrect and potentially change in future.

If you can't trust a car sold by Tesla to be sold correctly, then good luck to buying through any other source.

Legally, it sounds very tough to wind the OP's situation back, other than by a good will gesture from Tesla.

Last month I bought a food mixer. The one that arrived was a deluxe version of the one I paid for, and when I called the seller to check if they wanted to correct the mistake they just said 'sorry, our error. Keep the one we sent you.' OK, the OP didn't buy a food mixer, but neither would it sink Tesla if they did the right thing and made good.

Last edited:
My insurance company wanted the sticker, since there is no way to determine by VIN what options my car had in a case of total loss.
Hmm.
So if the car gets written off, you'd get a replacement car with FSD?!
So I wonder if I have to notify insurance each time I get an update that might effect the value of my car?

There may be some confusion over the terminology being used. What exactly does the Monroney sheet state? Please clarify whether it states FSDC, which is Full Self Driving Computer or whether it states FSD, which is Full Self Driving, ir both FSDC and FSD. FSDC and FSD are not the same, although they are interrelated.

It doesn't help that acronyms like FSDC could be applied to multiple phrases.

View attachment 506934
As of today, I do not have even Enhanced AP -no Summon and NoA.

This is not an FSD issue based on info on the sticker.

It is an understandable issue though, and will effect many EAP cars I believe. Since EAP feature set was effectively the same as FSD paid upgrade for a while, Tesla clearly had to differentiate between the two, or as eventually happened just effectively ditch EAP. Tesla presumably realised that they had given away too much with EAP and needed to shift features out of EAP to pad out FSD feature set.

Owners of EAP cars should watch this issue really carefully. This is where the FSD-like capability of their cars (and the price they paid for it) is being nerfed. It will be impossible to sell (at least through the motor trade) or pex an EAP car without the FSD-like features being stripped.

Coincidentally, EAP is likely to be on cars with ap hardware that won't support FSD going forwards, so the whole process is likely part of limiting older cars to what their hardware can deliver, (even though many owners are totally fine with EAP and it probably still matches current FSD quite closely).

I think the real issue here and may justify a thread title change is removal of EAP after Tesla sold car with it.

Also, was EAP sold as a temporary license or permanent feature of the car? Prior to this thread I would have thought that EAP was a permanent feature.

Last edited:
Tesla removed the FSD software,

No evidence that the car ever had fsd. EAP, yes. FSD-like feature set, yes. Hardware that could deliver what at that time was regarded as needing FSDC hardware, yes.

But at no time has present FSD been removed from this car.

If this car had been upgraded to FSD, then arguably it would be one of the cars that Tesla may be obliged to upgrade to HW3 with ap 2.5 cameras and rewiring and whatever else it takes to deliver the FSD paid for.

• Disagree
Reactions: Alset4S and ucmndd
removed both the $5k EAP feature AND the $3k FSD feature that were purchased with the car when new.
Essential to get to the bottom of this.

5k for EAP already gave same features as FSD at that time.
3k does not imo at the moment relate to FSD. Why add FSD to a car that already has the same features? What does this 3k actually relate to on this car? Was FSDC a prerequisite for having EAP?

Still leaves issue that car left Tesla with EAP (that provided main FSD features), was sold as-is to 3rd party dealer at auction with EAP, then suddenly Tesla remove that feature set.

Dead horse to death............It would have been unusual for Tesla to sell that car to an auction house/third party dealer with EAP/FSD included. It's my understanding that unlimited supercharging and EAP/FSD typically don't transfer through a third party sale. What Tesla sells, under those circumstances, is typically a basic software model. They are within their rights to do so and it makes good economic sense. There is no reason Tesla would include EAP/FSD when reselling a used car just because the vehicle once had such an option. The value of EAP/FSD on the used market is just too nebulous. The software on the vehicle, however, even when sold without EAP/FSD, could have continued to reflect the existing EAP/FSD of the prior owner until updated to a new owner or until reset. What Tesla likely should have done was to reset the software before the sale, to avoid confusion. Seems that transference of unlimited supercharging and EAP/FSD may be different when buying from a private seller.

In any case, always do your research when buying a used car. If no documentation exists of buying EAP/FSD there was no included EAP/FSD, only included assumptions. The issue here is mostly between the buyer and the third party seller. If there is documentation of buying EAP the seller owes the buyer, if the seller has documentation of buying EAP, Tesla owes them. I'm guessing there is only documentation of EAP existing prior to the sale to the original owner. In which case the current buyer bought only their own or someone else's assumptions. Perhaps an interesting legal question might be if there was a reasonable expectation of buying a vehicle with EAP based on the existing software at the time of a test drive. Tesla and/or the 3rd party seller should have been aware of that false expectation prior to the sale. Intentional or not it's deceptive to the buyer on the part of the third party seller, not likely Tesla from a legal perspective. But I ain't no lawyer, Jim........

Last edited: