Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ditto here on two cars. No issues at all. As for the controls, they are part of the API, in use by other apps also, such as Remote S. As for security, at any time you can change your password at tesla.com, which will stop all apps you have in use.

You can also make your own token yourself (google it) and then give the token directly to most apps, if you have issues with 'handing out' login creds to apps. TeslaFi will create the token (login never goes to their server, James has stated) or, again, you can do it yourself.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Ditto here on two cars. No issues at all. As for the controls, they are part of the API, in use by other apps also, such as Remote S. As for security, at any time you can change your password at tesla.com, which will stop all apps you have in use.

You can also make your own token yourself (google it) and then give the token directly to most apps, if you have issues with 'handing out' login creds to apps. TeslaFi will create the token (login never goes to their server, James has stated) or, again, you can do it yourself.

Yeah I made my own token is pretty easy if you have curl installed on your computer (included in Linux and mac) here is the command if anyone hasn't figured it out yet...

> curl -d 'grant_type=password&client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384&client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3&email=<yourEmailHere>&password=<yourPasswordHere>' https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token

As for the controls it still seems a bit risky to allow any 3rd party to have this access even if you authorized it. They know where your car is and they can unlock it at any time but it seems risky to try and steal a Tesla since they are fully tracked by the company. But if someone figured it out it would already be too late to change passwords and a bit of a hassle. Also there may be some safety issues with changing some controls while you are driving, maybe not just speculating.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yeah I made my own token is pretty easy if you have curl installed on your computer (included in Linux and mac) here is the command if anyone hasn't figured it out yet...

> curl -d 'grant_type=password&client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384&client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3&email=<yourEmailHere>&password=<yourPasswordHere>' https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token

As for the controls it still seems a bit risky to allow any 3rd party to have this access even if you authorized it. They know where your car is and they can unlock it at any time but it seems risky to try and steal a Tesla since they are fully tracked by the company. But if someone figured it out it would already be too late to change passwords and a bit of a hassle. Also there may be some safety issues with changing some controls while you are driving, maybe not just speculating.
You can have a token without access to control car"s functions. TeslaFi has such a feature too.
Screenshot_20181106-000755.png

I don't believe so. You can register as a demo account for a couple weeks (or a month if you use a referral code--several are available here, mine is my username), but I don't think there's a firmware-only option.
I would consider teslafi to be a great bargain. I like the fact that I never have to reset any trip counter and can always look back and know where I've been. With the first Tesla which we sold. I still have access to that data even though our subscription has been moved to our X so I think that's value that is offered as well. I had to create a different log in account but it's nice to look back at some of the drives. It really comes in handy to look at the wpm on any given temperature.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I don't believe so. You can register as a demo account for a couple weeks (or a month if you use a referral code--several are available here, mine is my username), but I don't think there's a firmware-only option.

Thanks. Already registered though

I would consider teslafi to be a great bargain. I like the fact that I never have to reset any trip counter and can always look back and know where I've been. With the first Tesla which we sold. I still have access to that data even though our subscription has been moved to our X so I think that's value that is offered as well. I had to create a different log in account but it's nice to look back at some of the drives. It really comes in handy to look at the wpm on any given temperature.

It might have been worth it if it had an app and not only the web page. My schedules are so irregular that I can't really set a fixed timer, so. I should get paid rather than pay for having my data collected :)

I agree that Teslafi is well worth the expense, and I don't even use it that much!

I had built a similar web track/logging project years ago (LogMySc) which required all manual input during road trips, which I was just in the process of converting over to using the API when TeslaFi came along. Teslafi was so much better than what I had done, I just killed that project as it didn't make sense to continue building and supporting it any longer.

That said, if you don't want to subscribe to TeslaFi to contribute to the firmware reporting, you can always use EV-FW.com which collects the same community data without a subscription.

Can I register myself on teslafi.com without paying so I take part in the firmware stats only?

I used it for a trial. I decided not to go ahead with it as it was just too much data. Data I don't need or care about. Some people like it but not me. I still can look at the firmware tracker which is nice. So yes, there is a way to look at the firmware tracker without paying. Just take a trial subscription and cancel it.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Almost 2 weeks into my months trial with Teslafi and I’m loving it so far. However I can’t find a balance between sleep/phantom drain. If I leave always connected on in car’s settings (S90D) I lose around 2kWh a day. No big deal range wise yet a lot of energy lost over a year’s accumulation.

If I leave always connected off, with Teslafi sleep settings the way they are (30 min + 12 mins) car sleeps and phantom is gone. However then it sleeps too deep and can’t be woken up for preconditioning or other app commands. Also data accuracy goes down since it doesn’t record first few ninutes of the drive. Once it slept so deep that I think it did a full reboot. MCU came alive much later in the drive after instrument cluster. even Autopilot didn’t work for a few minutes in the drive.

Isn’t there a middleground?

I am not sure the best settings for the M3 and TeslaFi but I have noticed significant vampire drain between rides losing as much as 10% overnight.
I use normal sleep settings and the car loses about 1% overnight. Maybe.

Pretty sure all I’ve done is ‘allow sleep’ and I get the ‘trying to sleep’ and ‘sleeping’ emails without a problem.

However then it sleeps too deep and can’t be woken up for preconditioning or other app commands.
The car should wake up even when sleeping after 30-60s. It takes longer, but it should wake up (sending a SMS-Poke to the GSM of the car).
In Switzerland we had the problem, that it was not working with one provider (Swisscom). Then Tesla changed the provider (Sunrise) and it was working!

The car should wake up even when sleeping after 30-60s. It takes longer, but it should wake up (sending a SMS-Poke to the GSM of the car).
In Switzerland we had the problem, that it was not working with one provider (Swisscom). Then Tesla changed the provider (Sunrise) and it was working!

Thing is I'm in Turkey and we are a non core market. (AKA go f** urself you shouldn't be driving a Tesla market) So I purchased my own data plan and put my own sim card in. To prevent APN settings mixing up and card not working we're using vodafone plans so LTE works flawlessly. Maybe wake up feature does not work. Any settings from the data card/plan I should try changing to have wake up enabled?

Last edited:
Wake up only works with the original SIM card. It works like this: Tesla sends an SMS to the number attached to the original sim card to wake the car up. Waking up doesn't happen via data/APN, but via SMS. That's why it's logical it doesn't work when you swap the sim, as Tesla have no way of knowing the phone number of that sim card (and they also won't register it).