Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive completed...not sure...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the downside, the brakes are lacking in feel and it's not particularly quiet at motorway speeds, quite a lot of roadnoise.

i found two different parts of the A11 recently. One was really excessively noisy but the other was a peach; it’s the quietest stretch I’ve ever driven on. Generally though high speed road noise is a pain.

i found two different parts of the A11 recently. One was really excessively noisy but the other was a peach; it’s the quietest stretch I’ve ever driven on. Generally though high speed road noise is a pain.

There's a concrete section of the M25 around St Albans turn off that's really noisy.

To add to my earlier post, being able to squirt in to places that you wouldn't believe possible e.g going in to roundabouts and away from lights etc. is always a pleasure. Almost nothing else can stay with you.

Hi previously owned Mercedes e-class and brought the model 3 LR through my company and run as a company car. From a financial perspective, with the governments incentives to push EV market share, the low running costs, it's a slam dunk in Tesla's favour, but you know that already.

As far as the finish is concerned agreed it feel's a little tinny in comparison with the E-Class (whose seats are definitely better), but the minimalist interior is definitely a grower and the mechanical simplicity has to be good for reliability.

Would I go back to the E-Class - no. the driving ability, acceleration (I brought the performance add on) and cab forward design make it seem like a scalpel compared to a butter knife. I find my self sneaking out of the house and going for drives, purely because of the fun of it. I find I come back with a huge smile on my face. For an EV to restore my enjoyment in driving for the 1st time in decades, that's priceless.

Factor in the whole no longer contributing to the overall atrocious air pollution in the UK poisoning our kids etc no regrets.

P.S. I did test drive the Mercedes EQC. Build quality was great, poor range, lack lustre performance, poor packaging of the mechanicals & battery resulting in mediocre storage/luggage space and the need to outlay an additional £20K in comparison with the tesla if I wanted self driving. I'll forgive a little tinniness.

The Europeans have made a fortune off great sounding door shuts. They have got it down to a science, and it gives their cars a vary solid feel when you click them closed. They learned that customers are conditioned to these solid door closing as being representative of a quality car. In reality, those cars are quite ordinary for transportation.

Tesla exceeds most of them, however in crash worthiness, which to many is more important than that "feel".

Stand next to a Tesla at startup and next to an ICE vehicle at startup, and your ears will tell you the ICE cars sound terrible.

Interior trims also exude quality design clues, that feed the egos of their buyers.

Tesla has different qualities that have them becoming aspirational to buyers. They are more efficient, powerful, better throttle response and do not burn gasoline and put tons of carbon load on the atmosphere.

It takes a savy buyer to look beyond the solid door clicks, knob turns and fancy interiors to see the true beauty that is Tesla.

Also consider that much of Europe is in the process of banning the horribly polluting gassers all together in the coming years. England has their own plans to phase out gas/diesel polluters.

sounds like the op has his mind set on etron or eqc. Both of which have the excellent German build quality but very poor efficiency

I can never compare my 2018 Audi S4 to my Tesla model 3 Performance they are just completely different. I would never expect an American Car fossil or EV to match German build quality.

I would say if you have splurged cash previously on a Ghibli and Tuscan, have a bang on the M3P. You clearly take risks with cars, what have you got to lose if you have disposable car cash ?

If you haven’t experienced the EV performance thing properly (sucks they gave you a locked-down car), even the SR+ has enough bite to make you go “ooooo”. The Performance will melt your kidneys and you won’t be worrying about how a door sounds.

Well, I came to Tesla from a string of German ""premium" cars (BMW, Audi) and I was initially very worried that I'd made a big mistake. The interior and build quality definitely feels more Vauxhall than BMW, and the refinement in terms of wind and road noise intrusion really isn't up to its price point - but I've got over all that now. Sure there are some remaining issues, but the driveability, the tech, the running costs, the performance, and the overall EV experience make up for, and surpass, those issues.

Ultimately though, it's a decision you'll have to make yourself. What I would say though is that there's a certain fear of the unknown when buying your first EV and you'll have a list of misconceptions that can only be dispelled by jumping in and experiencing it yourself.

I think if you lived with the Tesla for awhile it's improvements over the ICE cars would be pretty clear.

I just had a 2020 A5 tfsi 35 for 10 days, whilst my LR bumper was replaced.

Now, I would absolutely love an improved ride in my LR, but I was amazed at how much worse the s-line A5 was. Violent on the local roads was a term I would use!

It was loud (quieter at motorway), clunky, gear shifts were horrible and intrusive, interface was so difficult to use - I simply ignored 90% of it. It was clearly not the top of the line A5, but it was so slow I felt very exposed in my options when joining motorways etc - made worse by wondering if the gearbox would take several seconds to catch up.

If I had moved to the A5 from my Golf GTD, I would probably have quite a lot of respect for it.

Point is, the M3 is not perfect, but it will absolutely recalibrate your driving expectations.

I was physically tired after journeys in the A5, which I imagine is due to the constant vibration and mechanical intrusions.

Good points for the A5 for me were it looks beautiful from outside, and was surprisingly really easy to parrallel park for some reason!

Reactions: Beady3647
Thanks everyone. I’ll get another test drive booked in on a LR that’s not stuck in chill mode. I don’t know Leeds that well, so I was probably getting frustrated with the road system as much as I was the car. The boss can drive too as she’s a better judge than me everything else in my life :) All cars are a compromise, I just have to figure out which bits I’ll compromise on. Probably like some others on here who travel for business, it’s the superb Supercharger network that is a massive attraction for a Tesla.

I think your observations are fair @Jibjab although I think you’ve been handed a bit of a lemon for a test drive.

I came to my Model 3 from a series of Audis - A5 and A4, premium models - and a LR Discovery Sport. All brand new when I got them. In terms of fit / finish my initial impression of the Model 3 is one I retain now, almost a year into ownership. It does not have the high quality finish of the Audi in terms of interior. No question, Audi have that nailed, it is a major selling point for them. But my Model 3 is actually better than the Discovery Sport, which was a rattle wagon. So, I’d say fit / finish of the Tesla is average rather than premium. However, I don’t have any actual quality issues with it, it’s solid enough, I can live without a hefty door/boot clunk noise and deem the finish “good enough” when what I am really paying for is the battery tech, zero emissions, over the air updates, charging network and sheer fun of driving it. I drove up to Scotland yesterday and had great joy driving up the A7 through the Borders. The Model 3 handling is just great, better than any of the aforementioned cars. And as you say, the space/practicality is surprisingly good, can pack a lot into it. So my advice is to focus on what you do get with the Model 3, rather than what you are missing, and take the leap of faith. I certainly have no regrets in doing so despite sharing some of the initial concerns you have raised. Oh...and if you want a referral link for 1,000 free miles, which you will after your other half does a test drive, just ask via PM :D

I think your observations are fair @Jibjab although I think you’ve been handed a bit of a lemon for a test drive.

I came to my Model 3 from a series of Audis - A5 and A4, premium models - and a LR Discovery Sport. All brand new when I got them. In terms of fit / finish my initial impression of the Model 3 is one I retain now, almost a year into ownership. It does not have the high quality finish of the Audi in terms of interior. No question, Audi have that nailed, it is a major selling point for them. But my Model 3 is actually better than the Discovery Sport, which was a rattle wagon. So, I’d say fit / finish of the Tesla is average rather than premium. However, I don’t have any actual quality issues with it, it’s solid enough, I can live without a hefty door/boot clunk noise and deem the finish “good enough” when what I am really paying for is the battery tech, zero emissions, over the air updates, charging network and sheer fun of driving it. I drove up to Scotland yesterday and had great joy driving up the A7 through the Borders. The Model 3 handling is just great, better than any of the aforementioned cars. And as you say, the space/practicality is surprisingly good, can pack a lot into it. So my advice is to focus on what you do get with the Model 3, rather than what you are missing, and take the leap of faith. I certainly have no regrets in doing so despite sharing some of the initial concerns you have raised. Oh...and if you want a referral link for 1,000 free miles, which you will after your other half does a test drive, just ask via PM :D

I was getting so excited about the ownership prospect, the test drive was originally intended just as a minor pre-cursor to making an order and fully excepted to making the call Friday afternoon with a deposit. I’ll spend the time just driving the thing for an hour or so rather than messing with the screen etc, as I know I’ll pick that up pretty quickly. I’m in Cyber Security, so not a complete Luddite I hope :)

PS, ooh, free Supercharger miles I will definitely be up for those, thank you :)

I was getting so excited about the ownership prospect, the test drive was originally intended just as a minor pre-cursor to making an order and fully excepted to making the call Friday afternoon with a deposit. I’ll spend the time just driving the thing for an hour or so rather than messing with the screen etc, as I know I’ll pick that up pretty quickly. I’m in Cyber Security, so not a complete Luddite I hope :)

PS, ooh, free Supercharger miles I will definitely be up for those, thank you :)

Agreed, the screen is perhaps the quickest / easiest thing to get used to. Personally I love it as moving it all to the screen means the driving visibility right in front of the driver is superb, no cluttered dash. So yes, focus on the driving experience is a good idea.

Overall, like all car decisions, there is always a compromise. I can assure you though that the positives outweigh the negatives by some considerable distance. I have not once yearned back to my many years of Audi ownership and thought that I should have stuck with them.

I was underwhelmed after my first test drive in an SR+, for an expensive car it did seem to be slightly lower quality than those of similarly or even lower priced German rivals. It was also a bit rattle-y but then so is my C Class.

I had a second test drive yesterday in a Performance and it was much better. I guess my expectations were a bit lower since the first test drive but the performance blew me away - it was insane. Definitely made me look into whether a Performance is financially viable. The tech and performance is where the cost is coming from and if you’re into that then it’s a winner but even when I was just sat in traffic getting back to the SC yesterday it felt perfectly good - smooth, quiet, comfortable and effortless.

I was underwhelmed after my first test drive in an SR+, for an expensive car it did seem to be slightly lower quality than those of similarly or even lower priced German rivals. It was also a bit rattle-y but then so is my C Class.

I had a second test drive yesterday in a Performance and it was much better. I guess my expectations were a bit lower since the first test drive but the performance blew me away - it was insane. Definitely made me look into whether a Performance is financially viable. The tech and performance is where the cost is coming from and if you’re into that then it’s a winner but even when I was just sat in traffic getting back to the SC yesterday it felt perfectly good - smooth, quiet, comfortable and effortless.

I’d probably agree but tbh, I’ve had BMWs they always seem to rattle, and the interiors whilst better in the new cars always looked a bit average to me. So I tried a Merc E class and C class great interiors but when you poke around the switch gear can be cheap and again they rattle. In fact my Astra GTC from a few years ago seemed to be screwed together, if a bit cheap inside.

Sat in an Audi A5 and they’re just solid, nothing like it on the market. But the interiors to me are a little dull.

I’ve come to expect that the Tesla won’t be as good, but I’m buying the Tech and ease of use.

Reactions: Beady3647
I got into the EV thing as soon as I heard about the scrapping of BIK for EVs this year. What started out as a pipedream became a reality very quickly with only a small amount of research, and some help from a mate who already had a Model 3 after leasing a Model S for 3 years.

I was also used to good build quality cars - Audi A6 4.2, Toyota Kluger and LandCruiser (when in Aus), Lexus RX450h (getting towards greener credentials slowly!). These cars were also pretty well fitted out with all the techie options you could get. Lexus had everything you can possibly get. Auto everything. Also had a Merc CLK but wouldn't put this in the fab build quality category, it was actually a bit underwhelming but it served a purpose at the time.

There are things I miss about those cars but I can live without them. I do over 2,000 miles a month and with a salary sacrifice lease (even at high mileage) the amount I save in petrol almost pays the monthly lease. The Lexus was out of warranty and faced with massive bills for some things that were on the verge of failing, I got rid. Build quality was typical Lexus and everything was soft closing and gadgets galore but as others have mentioned this is PR / gimmick more than anything. Going EV was a no-brainer.

I've watched the Youtube videos of Tesla crash testing and it's impressive.

I test drove an e-tron but the range was not adequate for my travelling needs and the Tesla easily won out with the Supercharger network. Can't underestimate the weighting you need to add for this for a long distance driver. I have had no range anxiety whatsoever since I got my M3. The e-tron won on the useful day to day technology stakes - their autopilot is actually pretty good although will not evolve for the lifetime of the car I expect, and the 360 cameras were bloody useful, especially for getting out of parking spaces or blind junctions, where you can put the front bumper cameras on to see what is coming left and right. If I just wanted a premium car that wasn't going to do long journeys with green credentials and not being sensible about money then I would have gone with that.

I have had no qualms with the build quality and the M3 LR is a delight to drive every day. It is great for overtaking. It puts a smile on my face. The sound system is even better than the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus (but that's always a subjective thing). It's remarkably roomy and you can actually fit a decent amount of luggage in the frunk and/or the 'cellar' in the trunk. I have absolutely no regrets about getting one. I have been able to live with the odd little niggling frustration that crops up from time to time. It's fine as a family car, which was a concern going from the massive storage in the Lexus RX!

I don't think a test drive can do justice to the actual ownership day-to-day. It's actually a pretty sensible car with what seems to most people to be a hefty price tag, but at the moment there's a sweet spot for business lease that makes it more affordable than most ICE cars in those circumstances once you factor in BIK.