Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked about it and they said it just arrived in Houston. The original comment was it was onsite, so I assumed Dallas, but I guess some Tesla lot somewhere in the country. The vin is in the 56k range and shows July as the manufacturing date. I will see if there is any more info they can add about it, but they said it arrived in Houston yesterday and will undergo its final checks. Will finish my loan tomorrow and not sure how long it will take from there to get my delivery date.

What was the place to check cars in shipping? May look into that. July does seem like a while ago for the car to be manufactured though. The miles are listed as 50. I did check carfax and it shows no history.

The adviser seemed to avoid answering the question I asked and just said it arrived in Houston yesterday. All communication with the Dallas IDA was done via email, and my Tesla Fort Worth advisor is off work today. Will get him to double check tomorrow.
To comply with Texas law, they are not allowed to sell you a new car that is located in the state when you pay for it. That activity can only be performed by a dealer and Tesla is legally prohibited from acting as a dealer (as are all other OEM’s). Tesla does not have a license to sell new cars in the Texas. In other words, they can only sell new cars that are located out of state. So, the sequence they are proposing to you (selling you a new car now located in Houston) is illegal.

Most likely, they shipped the car to Houston for delivery to a buyer there. That car was apparently not acceptable to the buyer or there was some other problem at the time of delivery.

Buyer beware.....

As far as that goes, does it have to be fully paid for before they can ship it here, or does ordering it start the process?

My local service rep just said it was made for the service center and didn't get used. Not sure which one specifically. I was told it had just arrived in Houston, so could have been a state or 2 over.

As long as it is good to go with no issues, I should be fine. Are there any issues the car could have that wouldn't be able to be fixed?

As far as that goes, does it have to be fully paid for before they can ship it here, or does ordering it start the process?

My local service rep just said it was made for the service center and didn't get used. Not sure which one specifically. I was told it had just arrived in Houston, so could have been a state or 2 over.

As long as it is good to go with no issues, I should be fine. Are there any issues the car could have that wouldn't be able to be fixed?
“Made for the service center and didn’t get used”???? That sounds fishy to me. I am pretty sure they would use early VINs or delivery rejects as loaners. I would absolutely insist on knowing whether the VIN had been assigned to someone and/or offered for delivery. Maybe go on to TMC spreadsheet and see if you can match your car to a Houston buyer.

I have not heard of any issue that cant be fixed but I have heard of plenty of lemon law lawsuits and along with long service wait times combined with numerous trips for service. If there is paint problems, then the body shop might file a CarFax on your car which could damage future resale.

“Made for the service center and didn’t get used”???? That sounds fishy to me. I am pretty sure they would use early VINs or delivery rejects as loaners. I would absolutely insist on knowing whether the VIN had been assigned to someone and/or offered for delivery. Maybe go on to TMC spreadsheet and see if you can match your car to a Houston buyer.

I have not heard of any issue that cant be fixed but I have heard of plenty of lemon law lawsuits and along with long service wait times combined with numerous trips for service. If there is paint problems, then the body shop might file a CarFax on your car which could damage future resale.

What spreadsheet is it? I was interested in looking up any info on the VIN and anything about tracking the car during shipping and don't know where to look on that. The only thing I checked so far was carfax and nothing came up.

Still waiting to hear back on delivery, and not sure if they got my bank payment yet. The MVPA was signed Thursday.

What spreadsheet is it? I was interested in looking up any info on the VIN and anything about tracking the car during shipping and don't know where to look on that. The only thing I checked so far was carfax and nothing came up.

Still waiting to hear back on delivery, and not sure if they got my bank payment yet. The MVPA was signed Thursday.
Start reading, go back to page 99 or so in this thread and read forward until at least page 158. Shipment tracking instructions can be found there. And a whole lot of history.

Spreadsheet is here.

Last edited:
Good to go.

Here was the shipment tracker.
Delivery Receipts - United Road

My vin was not found on it. Not sure if it had history or just what is in process. I checked the full vin and last 8 digits.

Either way, I am picking it up Saturday and was told it was not used in showrooms or for test drives. If it is good to go I will probably be fine with it. Will just have my checklist with me and may double check for any service records before accepting it.

Well, third unsuccessful delivery attempt 123 days after configuration, 52 days after full payment.

How can you tell if the car is actually performance model? The monroney said it was not, the VIN just says dual motor, the display says dual motor with no underline. But they swear it is performance. There should be something verifiable on the car itself.

Well, third unsuccessful delivery attempt 123 days after configuration, 52 days after full payment.

How can you tell if the car is actually performance model? The monroney said it was not, the VIN just says dual motor, the display says dual motor with no underline. But they swear it is performance. There should be something verifiable on the car itself.
Stopwatch.

It should have the underline on the display from what I have read. Wrong firmware.

I’m not sure what to think on the hardware. Lots of speculation.

Mine has the red underline...

Why was it a fail this time?