Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 2 Best Days In a Plaid Owner’s Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't this mostly just about the price on a new Plaid dropping nearly $40k over that period so any used Plaid resale price has to reflect that drop? The OP just bought at a bad time, when pandemic related supply chain issues had driven up demand and prices along with it. Nothing you can do about it, sucks that it happened, but it is likely just an anomaly. If you bought a new Plaid today at $90k there is little chance you'd see similar depreciation.

On the flip side I got a used 2018 P3D w/fsd in January 2020 for $46k. In June of 2022 a stop sign runner totaled my car in an accident. Fortunately for me, since I wasn't getting a dime from the party at fault (no license, insurance, reported income, or legal status in the country), I was paying for full coverage on the car and USAA wrote me a check for $58k because that was the market value of a 4 year old P3D w/fsd at the time. So I made $12k on a car I drove for 2 years. It was an anomaly. I wouldn't expect that to happen with my current car and I certianly don't talk about "Tesla Appreciation" as if that is the norm.

Oh sorry you yet again omitted information like that you got a 12% discount. I thought it was also $0 down not $2000. You on here lying? You really aren’t as clever as you think you are 🤡, plus that money factor is ridiculous I guess that’s why Porsche leases are so much. You’ll gladly pay it though money is an afterthought for you lmao

Again, you need to learn how leases work before blowing your top my friend.

It was zero down. Well about $300ish down to cap cost reduction. That’s basically zero. The rest of the $2,000 is TTT, fees, and First Month Payment. That’s a zero down lease. Well the $300ish is there so yeah.

And the 12% “discount” you mention, that is called negoootiatingggg. 🤣😂

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jayskywalker21
I don't understand the point of a Plaid for an average driver? My 2020 S for which I paid $55000 with 25000 miles on it has more power than I ever use.
The Plaid is absolutely not for the "average driver". The extra money for the third motor (which is the only actual difference aside from software) above the regular S is by all means excessive, unnecessary, and unjustifiable by any account.

But that's not why they make it. The acceleration of the Plaid is, in one word, "violent". It was made primarily for car guys and their friends who have all driven or had a ride in some seriously "fast cars" (the kind that 8 year olds have posters of not heir bedroom walls), and who have formed an opinion that they've "seen it all" and get sort of an "you can't impress me with speed" jaded nature to them. You get a surge of primal fear quickly followed by a wave of giddiness just trying it. I've given a large number of these types rides in my car, and it's always a line like "I had no idea!", "It's like a whole different level!", and you see this childlike glint in their eye of real enthusiasm returning. Of course, this is only true car nerds... I don't mean to gate-keep, but many people are in the scene just for the lifestyle, and Tesla is not a flashy brand to align yourself to, they can't be swayed. Don't get me started on the people who formed an opinion on Tesla based on short-seller-driven articles before they even saw one in person.

You don't often use all of the power (and almost never during winter), but when you do, it's fun! in 2.5years it hasn't gotten old.
I ordered seconds after it was first announced and got mine just a couple months after they started delivering, so I got it for well below the peak price, but still significantly higher than they're going for now. I've not had any problems with it and don't plan to sell it for a few years, so I'm not terribly worried. We all know it's not a luxury car, but it is a fun one.

… I’ll give you the MF is way high. At the end of the day, I don’t care if they charge me a MF of effectively 99% APR and the rent charge $10….I care about down payment + (monthly payment X number of months) to arrive at my total out of pocket over the term. How they structure it is up to them. Only thing is you don’t want to put money down in cap cost reduction because if you total the car early in the lease, that money vaporizes.

• Funny
Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Didn’t Elon rugpull S/X owners back in 2019 or so by similar numbers? I recall an overnight $40k price drop and Chinese owners shutting down service centres with protests, etc.

In that context there’s probably an element of “fool me once” pulling the trigger on a $127k S. It’s a question of when Elon is going to pull your pants down, not if.

3 and Y owners buying at the height of the parts shortages also got mugged off (as they say in the UK) only to a slightly lesser extent.

As mentioned before though the issue here really is a manufacturer cleaving residuals by $40k+ overnight. It’s unheard of elsewhere. Apple have recently dropped the price of the iPhone in China and it was treated as if it were a major event. How can you buy with confidence, or take in as part-ex, etc with that kind of price movement?
Regardless, if you opt to spend $127,000.00 on a car, that is on you. Not on Elon. You bought the car at a price that you thought was fair at the time. As a happy 2023 Model S owner, I would have never spent $127,000 on this vehicle. That's just crazy.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1windy
I don't understand the point of a Plaid for an average driver? My 2020 S for which I paid $55000 with 25000 miles on it has more power than I ever use.
The point for me simply is having my daily driver/family car be literally the quickest production car ever made (by a lot)- a 1,000+ horsepower "cell phone" that seats 5 and no maintenance schedule. Amazing.

For me it’s more of the need that I had to get rid of the car two years prematurely because of the constant issues. Had I been able to keep it the full four years that I had planned to, the depreciation hit would not have been as great. I can’t say that I miss the car now that it is gone, though. …except for the torque!

The regular S has a front motor and a rear motor, the Plaid has a front motor, a rear motor, and an additional rear motor, which is the third one... unless you count from the back to the front 😉
Thanks. I just looked into it more. All three motors are unique to the Plaid with the carbon fiber rotor sleeving. The rear motors use are a completely unique laminate plate system and magnet layout.

… I’ll give you the MF is way high. At the end of the day, I don’t care if they charge me a MF of effectively 99% APR and the rent charge $10….I care about down payment + (monthly payment X number of months) to arrive at my total out of pocket over the term. How they structure it is up to them. Only thing is you don’t want to put money down in cap cost reduction because if you total the car early in the lease, that money vaporizes.
This is a car salesman's wet dream

Tell me how?

If at the end of the term I paid $30,000 and the interest rate was x%, but on another car I paid $30,000 over the term and the interest was y%. $30,000 for x car is the same as $30,000 for the y car.

If you understand leasing, you understand this. That is what is called the “effective” monthly payment.
Agreed. At the end of the day it's your money. And F anyone who doesn't like it. I buy or lease cars because I can and with my big boy pants on get what I want and can afford. Fortunately, I CAN afford a lot and care less what anyone thinks. If I was you I wouldn't respond to anyone who disagrees. F them all, really.

• Disagree
Reactions: The Long C_0_N
Tell me how?

If at the end of the term I paid $30,000 and the interest rate was x%, but on another car I paid $30,000 over the term and the interest was y%. $30,000 for x car is the same as $30,000 for the y car.

If you understand leasing, you understand this. That is what is called the “effective” monthly payment.
Giving them a number to hit for a satisfactory monthly payment allows them to off a lower interest rate with a higher premium for the car. This is fine as it's your money but those who are after the best deal should never give a dealer their acceptable monthly number. I am after both the lowest rate and the lowest price for the vehicle itself.
Again, it's your money and if you're happy with what you have, then all is well. Different strokes for different folks. I hope the Merc treats you well.

That’s not true with a lease where it is a closed end. You agree to pay X amount for the car total split over the term. It doesn’t matter how they split it, what maters is the total you pay to rent the car. That’s why in a lease, they can do whatever the heck they want with numbers so long as your total out of pocket is what you want it to be at, irregardless of how they get you there. Usually this occurs by a discount from MSRP. Much like purchasing the car. In my case, I got a 12% discount off MSRP. A really good discount for a Porsche in the new model year.

Again, you need to learn how leases work before blowing your top my friend.

It was zero down. Well about $300ish down to cap cost reduction. That’s basically zero. The rest of the $2,000 is TTT, fees, and First Month Payment. That’s a zero down lease. Well the $300ish is there so yeah.

And the 12% “discount” you mention, that is called negoootiatingggg. 🤣😂
I know how they work very well. You might actually need professional help with all the omitting that you do to save yourself from embarrassment. All this for a guy who was embarrassed cause he was swindled Im mind blown you can keep trying to justify it and defend yourself but this is comical. Mind you you negotiated to paying 20k in depreciation and still payed a high MF and your payment is 1100 this isn’t even a good deal what?