Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gudday Ztrekus

I have setup lots of locations Ive come across that are potentially damaging including some zealot councils and their monstrous speed humps. On the Suspension screen you can tell Model S to remember this location and jack itself up each time you approach the GPS datum you setup. An example is the short unmade road into my house - irrespective of which direction or what speed I come at Poets lane Model S will jack up to extra High about 100meters our from the end of the road. Then when I power down it drops to normal height- charges up and goes to sleep. In the morning as I head out of my driveway Model S jacks itself back up to navigate up Poets lane then once clear( approx 100 meters) down she goes!. By that stage I am usually up over 80kph and it drops straight down to low(slip stream mode). Wonderful feature to protect the undercarriage.

Gudday Ztrekus

I have setup lots of locations Ive come across that are potentially damaging including some zealot councils and their monstrous speed humps. On the Suspension screen you can tell Model S to remember this location and jack itself up each time you approach the GPS datum you setup. An example is the short unmade road into my house - irrespective of which direction or what speed I come at Poets lane Model S will jack up to extra High about 100meters our from the end of the road. Then when I power down it drops to normal height- charges up and goes to sleep. In the morning as I head out of my driveway Model S jacks itself back up to navigate up Poets lane then once clear( approx 100 meters) down she goes!. By that stage I am usually up over 80kph and it drops straight down to low(slip stream mode). Wonderful feature to protect the undercarriage.
Are you certain it drops down when you power down? It isn't supposed to do that. If there is a setting I'd love to know about it, as I would prefer mine dropped down automatically once in the garage.

Gudday Paulp
I should have been more specific. I have the park location at home set for NORMAL. The response time is as I hit my bitumen driveway- nice and smooth, she lowers back to normal as I pull up. Typically I leap out of the car, pop the cable and walk off to the house all in about 20 seconds- always in a hurry these days.:biggrin:

Gudday Paulp
I should have been more specific. I have the park location at home set for NORMAL. The response time is as I hit my bitumen driveway- nice and smooth, she lowers back to normal as I pull up. Typically I leap out of the car, pop the cable and walk off to the house all in about 20 seconds- always in a hurry these days.:biggrin:

Thanks for clarifying.
Is it just me or is it far quicker to fill a tesla compared to fuelling an ice car, in terms of personal time spent.

Hey cynix,

You saved me an extra $738.65! (Must remember to buy you a drink if we ever meet at a Tesla gathering!)

So the minimum agreed amount that NRMA allows is $103,600 and I opted for that sum instead of market value. But this is based on the fact NRMA has a replacement 'election' if total replacement is required within 2 years of the car being registered. And since I am certain that if I write off my car within 2 years I will definitely want a new Tesla as opposed to a pay-out figure - then that is the way to go.

Hey Z, for your peace of mind (and mine), I was finally able to clarify several very important details regarding NRMA's new car replacement policy, after several long phone calls:

* They will replace the vehicle with the nearest equivalent model, if the exact same model is not available.
* As long as they can place an order for the car in Australia, it is considered to be "available in Australia" and is eligible for new car replacement.

I think these points are very important for our cars because Tesla tends to change their options around a lot so it's nearly impossible to order the exact same car in the future.

As a result I've finally pulled the trigger and paid $2,500 for the lowest possible agreed value, like you did :)

Hey Z, for your peace of mind (and mine), I was finally able to clarify several very important details regarding NRMA's new car replacement policy, after several long phone calls:

* They will replace the vehicle with the nearest equivalent model, if the exact same model is not available.
* As long as they can place an order for the car in Australia, it is considered to be "available in Australia" and is eligible for new car replacement.

I think these points are very important for our cars because Tesla tends to change their options around a lot so it's nearly impossible to order the exact same car in the future.

As a result I've finally pulled the trigger and paid $2,500 for the lowest possible agreed value, like you did :)

Yes Cynix, that is good... And I am too lazy to alter my i3 policy...

But if the P85D as a model name is no longer made, I will not be game enough to not change my policy to market value... When NRMA realises that the P90D is so much more than the agreed value, they will insist on the black letter of the policy and tell you to get stuffed!

-—--------

hi Keiron,

yes I also intend to map out the local area and have my car bobbing up and down insimple harmonic motion taking into account speed bumps, drive ways, unrepaired pot holes, dead dogs etc...

but one thing I can't quite figure. Why do they have high as opposed to extra high? I mean does that matter? Shouldn't you just choose extra high? I mean are we really trying to just clear it? Am I missing something here....

And another thing. What do you set the auto lowering speed at? I mean freeways are 110km right? But what happens if you just touch that as you momentarily zoom past someone in a 90 zone say... And if you are on a freeway and hit 110km, what happens if you drop beneath that to say average 90... Does it raise itself? And if not, when you leave the freeway and get around to remembering that you have to raise it, then the bloody thing will remember that particular raising point right? Or is that when you choose low as opposed to extra low or something, so it doesn't matter?

I think they should have 2 columns of numbers. One to temp raise or lower, the other to remember the place and permanently raise or lower....

- - - Updated - - -

Been driving a few days now and here are a few observations....

I love the look of the car.

Am still not used to the large bonnet and wide rear and am dog scared about scraping it. Still not comfortable about the perimeter of the car.

I absolutely love the auto boot open and closing... Really really fantastic, never expected to like that feature.

the cornering lights are pretty cool... Not really necessary but most cool things aren't.

still a little overwhelmed with the touch screen... I mean driving along and you decide to open the sunroof... But whilst trying to maintain speed and centre of the lane, you have to close open windows, choose controlls, find sunroof, then glide a finger to open it...And they are little places totouch too....Woe...

i wish the sensor screen went on with the reverse camera by default...

....dinner time,more later

still a little overwhelmed with the touch screen... I mean driving along and you decide to open the sunroof... But whilst trying to maintain speed and centre of the lane, you have to close open windows, choose controlls, find sunroof, then glide a finger to open it...And they are little places totouch too....Woe...

Would the steering wheel controls be better for operating the sunroof in that situation?

I always use the steering wheels controls for the sunroof. Much easier than touchscreen especially when moving.

Gosh I am green - I had totally forgotten all about the steering wheel controls. I was using the voice recognition to play songs and the left wheel to adjust volume but that was it.

This evening I started checking out the controls - I must say that they are NOT intuitive. But I get the impression that the touchscreen is really for the passenger. The steering wheel can practically do the lot with its own private display on the dashboard. I need a lot of practise though, but I am sure that soonish I will commit it to memory and it will become second nature to me. I do love how you can adjust the temp controls without the wife finding out. Always have a war over that one. Not sure how the split system solves that problem though - everything is so NEW to me...far out!

Gosh I am green - I had totally forgotten all about the steering wheel controls. I was using the voice recognition to play songs and the left wheel to adjust volume but that was it.

This evening I started checking out the controls - I must say that they are NOT intuitive. But I get the impression that the touchscreen is really for the passenger. The steering wheel can practically do the lot with its own private display on the dashboard. I need a lot of practise though, but I am sure that soonish I will commit it to memory and it will become second nature to me. I do love how you can adjust the temp controls without the wife finding out. Always have a war over that one. Not sure how the split system solves that problem though - everything is so NEW to me...far out!

I suspect in two weeks time you will be writing about how intuitive the touch screen is. It's daunting at the start, but fantastically easy once you are used to it.

I spoke to Dan from Dan's Garage Detailing today and he can't fit my car in for Opticoat until December! But from what everyone says he's the best in Melb so I guess worth the wait.

I put off getting opticoat for a 3 or so months and picked up a stone chip about a week before I got it done which sucked. Can't say for sure if opticoat would have saved it or not, but I wish I had got it done sooner as had already picked up a few scratches which mostly could be polished out, but not completely.

Back to Melbourne she goes. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 145