Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect you are making a joke (that I don't see).

But it is true that the profits on used cars typically are better than on new ones.

Which is why it makes sense for Tesla to sell the same car more than once (via CPO).

Yeah, my implication is that BMW is going after the $$$, but they just don't seem to realize that it's in the future not the past. Unless you've got one of these:

TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey.com-JMortonPhoto.com-01.jpg

Which company has one of those?

images

;)

Last edited:
GM spent ~$15B on Saturn. That money came out of the other divisions. Even for GM that is a lot of money. This is when they had another major loss of market share vs the Japanese. Oldsmobile,Pontiac, and Chevrolet cars but not trucks were starved.
What? So it's $15,000,000,000 now? Wow. Usually the Saturn Naysayers have claimed it was a $3,000,000,000 hole in the ground for General Motors. Astounding that the UAW has somehow managed to multiply that by a factor of five, and presume every dime of it was somehow a 'waste'.

Nothing 'came out of' other Divisions at all to support or create Saturn. General Motors went from having over 50% of US Market Share to barely 35% in the ten years from 1975 and 1985. THAT is where they were losing money. The Saturn division was created as an attempt to reverse that trend.

Even though GM had been working with Toyota at NUMMI, they were not capable of entirely replicating the improved manufacturing experience at their other plants. That was largely because of a lack of cooperation from the unions at those locations. The Saturn marque was never unionized, but that didn't change the tendency of GM executives to go with Suppliers that provided quantity over quality. So Saturn may have been a very expensive experiment from a certain point of view, but it was an absolutely necessary step in attempting to hold off the extinction of GM.

The problem is people on this forum are tired of waiting. They want BMW to stop trickling water and raise that tide with a FLOOD!
What BMW is doing is very little to quench the people's thirst. All they're doing is increasing demand, yet doing little to increase the supply.

BMW conventional ICE is ignored because it's irrelevant. As others have pointed out, why are they pitting a hybrid against an EV? Why didn't BMW pit their i3 against Tesla?

BMW is repeating GM's mistake/lie. Try to sell the people an orange (hybrid) when what they want is an apple (EV). Again, the people's reaction is: WTF?!

Pure BEV Dogma
Exactly. This is essentially BMW's version of the Cadillac ELR. They were just smart enough not to add a $40,000 premium to its cost. Though, I'm sure there were some in the board room who argued for just that.

Little 'ol Tesla sure has gotten the attention of BMW :) I drove my friends BMW i3 the other day. Not bad 0-30 mph but then kinda dies out. Never mind it looks like a Scion Cube :) What does the 330i get before switching to ICE? 15 miles?
14. But the good news? It's more than the Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid, and only a little less than the Ford C-MAX Energi and Fusion Energi.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What? So it's $15,000,000,000 now? Wow. Usually the Saturn Naysayers have claimed it was a $3,000,000,000 hole in the ground for General Motors.

Another conspiracy Red Sage knows all the insider details about. o_O

$3B for an entire new platform and variants, its own Auto Plant in Tennessee,launching an entire new distribution network, new type of body panels and production system.

This is GM we are talking about not Tesla. :)

This is why BMW doesn't get it...Charging optional, my a**

:)View attachment 189100
I think this is their 'nice' way of saying that charging is not mandatory to operate the vehicle. Strange that no one notes the opposite: no gasoline fueling required either -- because you could potentially drive the car only on electricity... Within tight, tidy, limited 14 mile circles. But yeah, they probably mean that any form of
DC Fast Charging is an optional feature.

I think this is their 'nice' way of saying that charging is not mandatory to operate the vehicle. Strange that no one notes the opposite: no gasoline fueling required either -- because you could potentially drive the car only on electricity... Within tight, tidy, limited 14 mile circles. But yeah, they probably mean that any form of
DC Fast Charging is an optional feature.

The BMW 330e has a DC Fast Charging option?

I loved my past BMWs and can't wait for them to catch up to Tesla. The more competition the better,

This is how I feel also. I love BMWs. If they could really do something Tesla-like (and I mean "really"), then it's a fair fight.

But we'll wait, and wait, and wait some more for the electric car from that company that hasn't delivered a real electric car yet. ;)

As marketing techniques go, that one would probably win over some M3 reserves if they were similar cars, but after some quick google searching this sounds more like a plug-in Hybrid than an EV.

I found a Car and Driver review
"With gentle accelerator pressure, the iPerformance will motor up to a top speed of 75 mph for a maximum of 14 miles, according to BMW, assuming the battery was fully charged at the start. When the driver inevitably grows weary of turtle mode, pressing deeper on the accelerator pedal—say, to execute a safe pass—automatically fires up the turbo four-cylinder. "

I've never driven a M3, but the S & X that I've driven make me think that 'turtle mode' won't be a feature of the 3.
Also in that review, the test car was $62k, for that price they're in Model S territory.

drove my friends BMW i3 the other day. Not bad 0-30 mph but then kinda dies out

I actually find the i3 to be a compelling offering, it's very unique, no one else decided to spend design/manufacturing effort on "lightness" in the same way BMW has, so for that, I can totally appreciate the i3. Friend with i3 bought it for his winter car, his summer car is a Z4. Tesla decided that lightness wasn't as important as outright range, so went with a big car with a big battery pack, it's all about choices.

As for the BMW PHEV with 20 km range, fail!

I actually find the i3 to be a compelling offering, it's very unique, no one else decided to spend design/manufacturing effort on "lightness" in the same way BMW has, so for that, I can totally appreciate the i3.
I doubt any vehicle the size of the Model S has a body as lightweight or as safe for occupants. A Mercedes-Benz S-Class with similar fully electric range would likely weigh 1,000 lbs more. And if the Model S had a 20 gallon gas tank instead of a 1,200+ lbs battery pack, it would weigh no more than a Camry or Avalon.

Girl looks at supercharger longingly... realizes with sadness that if she had a Tesla she wouldn't have to wait at the office till midnight for her BMW to charge off a 110 outlet...

Exactly my thought for an alternate voice-over!

Woman walking through the parking lot muttering "Why did I give in to the slick advertising? I believe in saving the planet. I want to do the right thing."

Looks at the superchargers as she walks by. "My friends' cars have free access to superchargers all across the planet. They left for the mountains hours ago."

She keeps walking... "They can go ten times farther on electricity alone, and have more fun doing it. You miss out on a lot of fun with an 87hp electric motor. My boss got a CPO car last year, and paid about what I did. The car just upgraded itself last night, and now she has AutoPilot."

Unplugs the car from the 120v outlet. "I opted to do my part and plug in. Now I'm late. The Ultimate Disappointment".

Hits the Start button and drives off. Fade to Tesla logo. Voice-over: "Worth the want."