Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The next big thing in AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your expectations are high, nothing will ever be good enough. You will always find something to complain about.

At the same time, most are out enjoying their all electric vehicles. They are having a fantastic time, and learning about how to get the best experience possible.

Like most tech products, they are a work in progress. Some owners even complain that the cars are improving so fast that they lament that their own cars do not have all the new improvements, only those that come free and over the air to incrementally make their driving experiences better.

If you concentrate on the good parts of the vehicles, you will have many happy days. If you focus on the items that fall short of your expectations, you will spend your thoughts in disappointment.

Two people can be driving the same vehicle. One will be happy, the other unhappy. Much of that difference begins between the ears of the individual.

Forum post of most all products are filled with people complaining about one disappointment or other with their product that they feel should be better than it is in many respects.

I think the problem with statements like “]If your expectations are high, nothing will ever be good enough. You will always find something to complain about“ is that most of us here have our expectations set by what Tesla has actually advertised and sold us as well as what Elon has stated on conference calls and tweets and public speaking engagements.

When someone else is setting our expectations we should expect to have what they say and not be happy and able to complain when THOSE expectations are not met. We are only expecting and asking for what was promised and sold to us.L and should be disappointed.......

I think the problem with statements like “]If your expectations are high, nothing will ever be good enough. You will always find something to complain about“ is that most of us here have our expectations set by what Tesla has actually advertised and sold us as well as what Elon has stated on conference calls and tweets and public speaking engagements.

When someone else is setting our expectations we should expect to have what they say and not be happy and able to complain when THOSE expectations are not met. We are only expecting and asking for what was promised and sold to us.L and should be disappointed.......

Absolutely. When I pay for FSD and I see a video of FSD, I expect my car to be able to do that. That is not unreasonable at all WTF did I pay for otherwise?

Same goes for Blindspot, automatic windshield wipers, auto pilot, full ludicrous performance, and the list goes on and on.

Yes. This is true actually, because the complaining and negativity is simply not representative of the experience of the majority.
It's hilarious actually... I agree with what someone said about expectations, and someone contemplating a purchase shouldn't be judging it based on how it met your expectations, or others expectations.

And if you want to discuss collective experience, then go to a Tesla drivers meetup, and meet the non-forum owners who actually love their cars. Then you get both sides of the story. Fact is, most owners don't spend time of the forums, they have other things to do (can't imagine that, but it seems to be true!)

Some of the loud ones here are repeat owners even! Sheesh.. I almost made a huge mistake by going Audi after reading this forum, but I was sensible enough to know what mattered to me. The tech in the Tesla is unmatched, and I scored getting my 100D. Sorry so many of you think you made such a big mistake, maybe you should re-evaluate how you choose a car.

BTW.. My Ford Fusion constantly fails with Bluetooth connections, buggy as hell. No OTA to fix it either. I guess some of us just recognize that cars will always have issues, even "lemons" that have to be returned.

Gotcha. Your 24 hours of driving a Tesla supersedes everyone else's collective experience on the forum and clearly anyone with issues must be wrong. I better not catch a thread from you complaining about something on here in the future.

Well... not everyone feels the same, and can love the car regardless of whether it does FSD or not.
You can be pissed that you believed that drivel, but that doesn't mean that it is not a great car for those of us who knew better.

I am not excusing Elon for his misinformation, but that doesn't stop me from loving this car.

But thank you for helping us understand the root cause of your negativity. The FSD "lie", you are not unreasonable to be upset by that.

Absolutely. When I pay for FSD and I see a video of FSD, I expect my car to be able to do that. That is not unreasonable at all WTF did I pay for otherwise?

Same goes for Blindspot, automatic windshield wipers, auto pilot, full ludicrous performance, and the list goes on and on.

Reactions: Swift and oktane
It's been a long time since there has been a major update to AP2, what is going on? Shouldn't multilane tracking, and side cameras be implemented now? Really there hasn't been a major update in many months.

I think this explains a LOT of the attitudes and snippy remarks I have been seeing on this site and at the Tesla.com forums. As my momma ‘usta say “The natives are getting restless”.

Where did I say that? Oh right, I didn't. I'm not dismissing those that have had bad experiences, that can occur with any product, any brand, but judging from surveys of a much larger universe of Tesla owners, owner satisfaction is exceedingly high. To me that is more indicative of the odds of owner satisfaction to the newly indoctrinated. ;)

Could I become as disgruntled as some here? Of course, but I'd say the odds are against it.

Complain on, don't let me stop you. :)

I'm not sure my message applies to you - it unfortunately does to some people, though. You will see the reactions over time, if you keep following.

As for how your ownership experience goes, I have no idea. In the end, it is a personal thing and I wish you the best.

And yet here you are, on your 2nd Tesla. Gotta love it.

My second Tesla was ordered way before the real craziness started. You may notice a certain progression in the third part of my signature, though.

That said, I don't think the product itself is bad at all. The drivetrain, as I said, is world-changing. That will always be a credit to Tesla in my books. I believe they will succeed with Model 3 too.

Doesn't make the negative issues and feelings any less real, though.

Reactions: Swift
Some of the loud ones here are repeat owners even! Sheesh.. I almost made a huge mistake by going Audi after reading this forum, but I was sensible enough to know what mattered to me. The tech in the Tesla is unmatched, and I scored getting my 100D. Sorry so many of you think you made such a big mistake, maybe you should re-evaluate how you choose a car.

I'm not sure the negative posters feel they made a mistake. Maybe some do. Personally I don't dislike my Model X, I am not looking to get rid of it or anything. I dislike some of what is happening in the world of Tesla.

That said, the Tesla world certainly looked different in 2016 when I ordered the Model X (long international delivery process). Sure we had some signs of bad moon rising, but in reality a lot of the really nasty stuff has unfolded or been uncovered properly only in 2017. We are much the wiser now.

I would not make the same exact purchasing reasoning today that I made in 2014 and 2016. I'm not sure I couldn't end up making the same purchase decision, though, there still aren't any other large battery BEVs on the market, but my reasoning would be improved. Perhaps it might affect things like buying Performance model or EAP+FSD, where people have been so badly burned by Tesla.

I guess some might say Tesla has shown a different face than before and some dislike that, others don't care, and that's the difference in this discussion as I see it. The base car itself, I doubt it causes that much of the negative.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since there has been a major update to AP2, what is going on? Shouldn't multilane tracking, and side cameras be implemented now? Really there hasn't been a major update in many months.

Well, when many of us ordered EAP, this is what Tesla said - December 2016 for those... So, yes, they should.

Note how they talk of a singular software update for all that, pending merely validation and regulatory approval... Now contrast that to what we know of EAP a year after this October 2016 announcement...
Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Last edited:
I think this explains a LOT of the attitudes and snippy remarks I have been seeing on this site and at the Tesla.com forums. As my momma ‘usta say “The natives are getting restless”.

Yeah, well, the EAP and possibly the FSD are the biggest letdowns Tesla has ever made so far. It has only become apparent this year.

I would say there are others, such as the Performance model performance lackings and limitations (as well as limiters and lack of promised updates) over several models, that is another thread that has been evolving into "restlessness" in various markets.

The third issue causing restlessness I think are the long service and part times. When people wait 5 months to have their Tesla repaired, they tend to get restless.

These I guess are some of the main themes.

Reactions: Hoffa
goddamnit

That's me in the photo. I have a discount code for bowflex @oktane - pm me for it!
IMG_1583.PNG

I love my car way more than I thought was possible, but I also have serious concerns about Tesla... most of those concerns center around how Tesla will handle success and the ongoing fit and finish issues. I wish Tesla would keep trying to become a better luxury car rather than a car manufacturer for the masses, but perhaps its possible to do both. If ever there was a time for luxury niche Tesla and a Toyota Tesla, that would be great, I say this because right now the product sells itself without advertising and people seek out the product.... but I'm not sure how the company will do once BMW in particular gets their act together.

I think AP (1 or 2) is at least 5 years ahead of other car manufacturers, which to me, is the thing that gets me so excited about my car. I don't know when other cars will close the gap, and there are certainly great cars from other manufacturers out there, but none of them really came close in my estimation. I'm certain that if I would have purchased an S class or a range rover, I'd be looking forward to the next iteration, instead, I'm enjoying the car more and more.

That being said, I'm really hoping for more transparency regarding progress in AP and some significant leaps by the end of the year on the FSD front. I have a feeling there will be something in between.

Reactions: 1 person
There's also the Performance camp, the high-end guys there. Their letdowns have certainly been different than for non-Performance people.

So the history people have certainly affects their perspectives.
I hear you, but I was blown away by the model 3 too... I do think it is going to decimate the 3 series sales. If I were to get my car again, I might not do the performance model. I do become more annoyed with Tesla quirks with time, and it's definitely a two steps forward, one step back kind of company.... but it's still leading the race by a mile.

Also AP1 and AP2 are fantastic in my opinion. I'd be pissed as hell though if my car is where it is currently in a year, so I understand the why the people who've been on this forum for much longer than me feel the way they do. As we get closer to FSD, the pace will have to get slower due to the complexity. One of the big milestones for me will be the other little things, like having the ability to pick you up and drop you off in front of your house and parking in familiar and weird spaces, like my tiny garage without a person in the car.

Fair post there @buttershrimp.

Funnily enough I personally probably won't be that mad if nothing much ever comes of AP2. I bought FSD too but it was always an experiment for me...

Don't get me wrong, it would add to my list of negative Tesla sentiments and I'd estimate someone suing them badly for it, and they'd deserve that, but I'm not sure I'd freak out too much.

For me the conversation and analysis is interesting and I like to take part as objectively as I can. The emotions I have or lack for my car are fairly separate for me.

Some don't get that and most people are different and that's fine. But just communicating my personal feeling...

Reactions: buttershrimp
Well, when many of us ordered EAP, this is what Tesla said - December 2016 for those... So, yes, they should.

Note how they talk of a singular software update for all that, pending merely validation and regulatory approval... Now contrast that to what we know of EAP a year after this October 2016 announcement...
Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg
Knowing that much of this hasn't yet been delivered, was the prime reason I had Tesla deactivate EAP prior to me taking delivery. Having played with the car with EAP for a day, I saw what was actually there wasn't enough for me to fork over $5,000. If they bring all the promised features to reality, I'll gladly pay the $1,000 penalty for ordering EAP after the sale.

I think AP (1 or 2) is at least 5 years ahead of other car manufacturers, which to me, is the thing that gets me so excited about my car.

Are you actually being serious? For L2 systems you do realize that Volvo Pilot Assist 2 is just as good as AP 1 and 2 if not better?
Then you have Mercedes Drive Pilot 4.5 and GM super-cruise which are released this month which both surpasses AP1 and the current AP2.