Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a newer Tesla is that we can't transfer FSD, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still question the comment that it really came close to its "coming soon" claims until very recently. Until it totally drives itself with me in the back, I still think it's all a scam.

I'm surprise people will seriously pay $15k for this and even lower amounts look pretty scammy to me. Musk is really smart with his recent stock sales, constantly hyping promising things, but not delivering on-time. Has FSD ever had much/any resale value?

Unlike the price cuts currently which I have some sympathy for, I sorta don't have much for FSD buyers. It was really believing the hype engine of it and missing out that it will be priced higher and higher. Folks just have more $$ than me and want to just divert it here I suppose, but the marketing of FSD seems to be a pump and dump that if you don't get it now, you'll miss out when we charge you $100k for it.
..... but in 2017 when I bought FSD there was a video on the web site SHOWING a drive with *no driver in the car* and promising it would drive you across the country without anyone in the driver's seat.

So early purchasers deserve transferrable FSD or something to compensate for YEARS of waiting (over 5 for me) to finally receive a fraction of what was promised at time of purchase. Just 'sayin.....

Reactions: cdub
If you pay the monthly subscription and new hardware is required to run FSD do you get the hardware for free as if you bought FSD outright? I would think probably not otherwise everyone would subscribe for a month to get free hardware upgrades.
No you don't. The reason is as you say. The free upgrades are only if you bought FSD outright.

Never ceases to amaze me that people think FSD should be transferrable. If you paid for an upgraded sound system in one car do you think they should transfer it to your new car? Yes FSD is “just software” but IMHO it is the same concept.
It is absolutely NOT the same thing. (And I get that intellectual property, i.e. software, can be considered the same as a tangible product in certain instances)

1) The sound system, sunroof, wheels, or any physical options you purchase as an upgrade are 100% functional from the day you receive your vehicle.

2) AP / FSD was sold, especially to early adopters who had no comparative info available to them, using dubious marketing techniques (videos, Tesla website info, ill-informed sales staff), and is STILL not 100% functional by any timeline Musk & Tesla have provided or continue to provide. It was not originally marketed as "Beta" software, but rather new features were undergoing continuous improvement.

3) When I bought my 2017 Model S, in Dec 2016, the new HW2 / camera system that I was getting was brand new, and was marketed as being functional 1st quarter 2017, and usage for street driving was "pending regulatory approval". I was never told it would not work AT ALL when I picked up my car, or that the software for HW2 was barely in the development stage (after Tesla dumped MobileEye). FSD did not function AT ALL for almost 6 months, and now after 6 years it still has many features included that either don't work at all, or are only partially functional, or work intermittently depending on the update.

Until folks actually get all the features they were marketed to receive, regardless of the price they paid, and that FSD software is functioning reliably virtually 100% of the time (like your sound system, sunroof, and 21" wheels do) Tesla should allow owners to transfer FSD to a new vehicle. Only when it is as reliable as any other expensive option you might choose should you be expected to pay full price on a new vehicle you purchase. Simple.

It is absolutely NOT the same thing. (And I get that intellectual property, i.e. software, can be considered the same as a tangible product in certain instances)

1) The sound system, sunroof, wheels, or any physical options you purchase as an upgrade are 100% functional from the day you receive your vehicle.

2) AP / FSD was sold, especially to early adopters who had no comparative info available to them, using dubious marketing techniques (videos, Tesla website info, ill-informed sales staff), and is STILL not 100% functional by any timeline Musk & Tesla have provided or continue to provide. It was not originally marketed as "Beta" software, but rather new features were undergoing continuous improvement.

3) When I bought my 2017 Model S, in Dec 2016, the new HW2 / camera system that I was getting was brand new, and was marketed as being functional 1st quarter 2017, and usage for street driving was "pending regulatory approval". I was never told it would not work AT ALL when I picked up my car, or that the software for HW2 was barely in the development stage (after Tesla dumped MobileEye). FSD did not function AT ALL for almost 6 months, and now after 6 years it still has many features included that either don't work at all, or are only partially functional, or work intermittently depending on the update.

Until folks actually get all the features they were marketed to receive, regardless of the price they paid, and that FSD software is functioning reliably virtually 100% of the time (like your sound system, sunroof, and 21" wheels do) Tesla should allow owners to transfer FSD to a new vehicle. Only when it is as reliable as any other expensive option you might choose should you be expected to pay full price on a new vehicle you purchase. Simple.

I'd say for anyone really upset, just take the legal route honestly. People here joke/state to go ahead and sue if you're upset (or pound sand since Tesla won't do anything and too bad for you) and with this FSD thing, there is a suit starting apparently:

I thought I read that some 2016 video was fully staged now too:

The courts can decide if Tesla did anything wrong and in America, suing is the American way (or maybe you can get something back from arbitration).

Reactions: ord3r
I'm new here but wanting to buy. I have a couple questions/thoughts.

1. I'm looking at used Teslas on the Tesla website. I can filter on, and choose cars that have Enhanced Autopilot or FSD. If I buy from Tesla, and that is specified in the listing, I should be safe from them yanking it back, right?

2. FSD is WAY overpriced. The cost difference between used Tesla Model 3s on Tesla's site, with Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and FSD usually spans around $1000. If it was worth close to $15k, that price difference should reflect in a much higher resale value for the car.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'm new here but wanting to buy. I have a couple questions/thoughts.

1. I'm looking at used Teslas on the Tesla website. I can filter on, and choose cars that have Enhanced Autopilot or FSD. If I buy from Tesla, and that is specified in the listing, I should be safe from them yanking it back, right?

2. FSD is WAY overpriced. The cost difference between used Tesla Model 3s on Tesla's site, with Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and FSD usually spans around $1000. If it was worth close to $15k, that price difference should reflect in a much higher resale value for the car.
There’s a dealer app that I use to appraise vehicles, It only weighs full self driving at $750.

6FA17717-E1F2-426C-9C90-90FCBD9359AF.jpeg

Reactions: woolymammoth17
It would probably cost $10 to install FSD on a new Tesla when it is deleted from a used one that you are selling. Many who have have it aren't going to cough up $15k anyway. I see no reason to generate bad feelings. Owners are Tesla's sales force. New customers can buy or not buy any options they choose. They have not given Tesla years of Beta testing for free.