Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a newer Tesla is that we can't transfer FSD, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-transferable FSD is one barrier but certainly not the main reason why I have not traded in my 2019 M3P.

For me, it’s acceleration and power. Waiting on a future M3 trim that will have similar low and top end performance as the Model S Plaid.

As soon as this happens, I’ll be the first in line to buy a new M3!! Tesla can charge whatever the hell they want for this plaid-like M3 performance trim. I would buy it!!

With the subscription service it doesn’t make sense to buy FSD outright anymore, especially at $15k. We’ll see what free upgrades are offered to HW4 for current FSD owners, that could sway the economics a bit.

I won’t buy FSD for my next Tesla.

My compromise is to treat FSD like a transferable software license. You can buy/sell a FSD license independently of a car, and keep it or transfer it or sell it as you wish. No more free hardware upgrades after HW4, and Tesla charges a fee to transfer the license to a new car.

Never ceases to amaze me that people think FSD should be transferrable.
A shocking number of people just don’t seem to understand how it works.

FSD is a capability/option on the car. When you sell the car, you get the market value of that option. Just like leather seats or a sunroof.

I can completely understand being frustrated that you took a bath on the ridiculously priced FSD package and the market values it at a tiny fraction of its original price - but that doesn’t make it Tesla’s problem to transfer your leather seats over to a new car for you.

Anyone else in the same boat? I have FSD on my 2020 Model 3 and I would be cool with upgrading but they need to let us transfer our FSD to a new car otherwise I'll mainly be looking at other brands or who knows.
I believe it will eventually be permitted (with a transfer fee) as a marketing incentive. But not until Tesla actually starts seeing Tesla owners move to other brands in large numbers. That's not likely to happen until the rest of industry substantially ramps up capacity.

A shocking number of people just don’t seem to understand how it works.

FSD is a capability/option on the car. When you sell the car, you get the market value of that option. Just like leather seats or a sunroof.

I can completely understand being frustrated that you took a bath on the ridiculously priced FSD package and the market values it at a tiny fraction of its original price - but that doesn’t make it Tesla’s problem to transfer your leather seats over to a new car for you.
Tesla will permit FSD transfers once Tesla determines that it is financially beneficial for them to do so, likely as a marketing/brand loyalty incentive.

Never ceases to amaze me that people think FSD should be transferrable. If you paid for an upgraded sound system in one car do you think they should transfer it to your new car? Yes FSD is “just software” but IMHO it is the same concept.

Yes FSD is way overpriced, but you can get a monthly subscription, which is far cheaper anyway.
Tbf it's a natural thought process. Take MSRP, that umbrella includes anything bolted to the car. Take a home sales transaction, anything bolted to the home is included in the sale. FSD by the text is not a part of the car, and per Tesla is a non-transferable license. The only way to transfer it is by private owner transactions. It gets a lil murky but that is what it is. This is one aspect I'm not so found of...

Anyways to OP, sell it a private party and include a premium for FSD. You'll take a hit but it's something to roll forward. The only way to get value from FSD on a sale is thru private party or Tesla.

Reactions: pilotSteve and GSP
Never ceases to amaze me that people think FSD should be transferrable. If you paid for an upgraded sound system in one car do you think they should transfer it to your new car? Yes FSD is “just software” but IMHO it is the same concept.

Yes FSD is way overpriced, but you can get a monthly subscription, which is far cheaper anyway.

lolwut? A software thing that could be done with a push of a button is not equivalent to physical features. Whether Tesla "should" do anything is certainly debatable but this argument is nonsense.

Based on what rationale? It’s a capability/feature purchased for the car and associated with the VIN. It is an option of value that is bought and sold along with the car itself according to its market value.

On the rationale that you can touch a speaker and you can't touch FSD. The basic nature of these things is obvious. I'm not arguing either way for Tesla to transfer it or not, but to say it's the same thing as physically installed hardware is just ignoring reality.

Reactions: Canyonero
On the rationale that you can touch a speaker and you can't touch FSD. The basic nature of these things is obvious. I'm not arguing either way for Tesla to transfer it or not, but to say it's the same thing as physically installed hardware is just ignoring reality.
I don’t think anyone is saying they’re the same in some sort of metaphysical navel-gazing sense.

I’m saying it’s a difference without a distinction in the context of this conversation.

Absolutely, however the current market value is something like $750 (that's what the quote went up with on truecar when clicking on it). That's basically nothing compared to the current price.

Even after the current drop in prices and tax credit, that is one of the reasons for me not trading in my 2020 MYLR and getting a new one. And indeed, the sensible solution would be to just pay $200 per month (which option wasn't even available in 2020), however Tesla could increase that at will.

Reactions: GSP